New Clothing for Mods (Tips?)

For discussion and help on modding and customizing the game
sparkleintherain

New Clothing for Mods (Tips?)

Postby sparkleintherain » Thu May 12, 2011 8:28 am

Hello! I was thinking about making a few "couture" clothing re-textures and files for use in my mods and as their own "mods" for others to download, use in their mods, and then upload in their mods, finally.

This wasn't covered in the tutorials I read, so I want to make sure I get going on the right foot by asking a few questions.

As for the files, what are any .xac files I need to incorporate? I do see the clothing.xml file, which I think I'll need.

So my other question is regarding how drastic of changes I can make.

I can't upload the photo for some reason, but if someone wouldn't mind referring to the image buscasual_af_jacket_1.png in the folder data/graphics/textures/clothing - could I make the jacket shorter yet flared at the hip/right below the natural waist? I don't know how those wide side panels work, but I know I'd attempt to alter/create the appropriate bump image. Does anyone know how those are done in Photoshop? (Otherwise I will painstakingly "paint" the changes.)

For times when I am bored, I think this would be fun for me. I love fashion design.

Thanks for reading!

Zebediah

Postby Zebediah » Thu May 12, 2011 1:45 pm

I've done a couple of clothing reskins - I haven't messed with the bump maps, so I don't know how much is possible there, but I can tell you what you need to do to get a simple re-coloring of existing clothing to work.

Let's say I want to do a differently-colored robe. I take one of the existing robe graphics, make whatever changes to that I want, save it as (for example) new_robe_1.png and put it in ProgramData/SimCity Societies/Data/Graphics/Textures/clothing.

Then, in the folder ProgramData/SimCity Societies/Data/XMLDb/Art/Clothing I make a new file called (for example) new_clothes.xml. In this file I place the following code:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<Clothingsets>
<ClothingSet name="Robe">
    <Outfit name="Simple Robe">
        <ModelOutfitMatch model="SC5_F_Adult_14_M" texture="new_robe_1.dds" bump="robe_bump_2.dds"  /> 
        <ModelOutfitMatch model="SC5_F_Adult_15_M" texture="new_robe_1.dds" bump="robe_bump_2.dds"  />     
        <ModelOutfitMatch model="SC5_M_Adult_11_M" texture="new_robe_1.dds" bump="robe_bump_2.dds"  /> 
        <ModelOutfitMatch model="SC5_M_Adult_12_M" texture="new_robe_1.dds" bump="robe_bump_2.dds"  /> 
    </Outfit>
</ClothingSet>
<Clothingsets>

A few things to note about this:
  • The ClothingSet and Outfit names are the same as in the original clothing.xmlfile. You can create a new outfit name within an existing clothing set pretty easily. I haven't tried creating an entirely new clothing set, so I don't know how much work you'd need to do there.
  • The ModelOutfitMatch lines are simply copied from an existing robe entry in the original clothing.xml file, and then the name of the texture file is changed.
  • Here's the weird part: The texture file you created is named new_robe_1.png, but in this file you need to call it new_robe_1.dds. I don't know what's going on behind the scenes to make that work, but that's a secret that died with the original SCS development team.
  • You can put as many clothing sets into one file as you want, and as many outfits into one clothing set as you want.

Let me know if any of that doesn't make sense. I may go ahead and package up my robe reskins into an SCSPack so that yo have an example to work from.
Last edited by Zebediah on Thu May 12, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Fri May 13, 2011 12:42 pm

"Zebediah" wrote:Let me know if any of that doesn't make sense. I may go ahead and package up my robe reskins into an SCSPack so that yo have an example to work from.

Here is some more info on the matter of sims and sim clothing and skins:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=03PJ0O9R

Return to “Mods (Discussion)”