Steam?

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
Jytte

Steam?

Postby Jytte » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:59 pm

I might need some input here....
As some of you might know from the woes in this post: viewtopic.php?f=19&p=292118#p292118
I might have a faulty copy of CotN.

I've searched, and it seems the only place to get CotN is either Gog or Steam. Gog seem to have a faulty program.
Then there's steam, I keep hearing from other users here that they are on Steam, and have no problems.
Well, I have a problem... I'm (very) old fashioned. I'm used to buying and paying for a piece of software, game or otherwise, and then it's MINE. I can install it where ever I want (unless it's from Microsoft of course), play it in whatever way I please.
As far as I understand it, in order to buy a game from Steam (and they don't seem to care explaining how they work on their site), you have to first download 'Steam' (why?), then you buy and download the game you want, then you have to log into Steam to actually play the game??

I'm sorry, but I'm not getting this. Sell me the blasted software and I'll put it on my PC. Sell me a copy that can only be used with a key or only installed on a certain PC or what not, I don't care, but gimme my software as a standalone file.

Why would I want somebody to 'look over my shoulder' to play a game? Why would I need a 'community' to play a game? Why would I want or need to log in anywhere to play a game I bought and paid for?

Like I said, I'm not getting this.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

RJG

Re: Steam?

Postby RJG » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:38 pm

Hi Jytte,

My feelings of Steam were very much the same as yours many years ago. I hated the idea of having to install steam to play a game that I paid for. I probably screamed louder than anyone at that time. Over time what I have come to learn is, once you buy any game from Steam, you can play it completely offline. They have two modes of play; you can start the game in “online mode” or, start in “offline mode.” I prefer to play all my games in offline mode. To test this theory when I first loaded steam I would disable my network connections to see if the game played totally in offline mode and it did. In other words, the game is installed on your computer and runs without a connection to steam BUT, it does need Steam to run. I hope this helps.

RjG

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:48 pm

Thanks RjG, very helpful :)
So as long as I have Steam on my PC, I need only ever log in once (when I first get it)?
And, if I ever decide to scratch Steam off my PC, I'd lose my game as well?
I know we're just talking about 7 bucks, I spend more than that each day on critter-food, but it's the principle I'm on about.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:54 pm

Oh, additional question...
Does Steam have anything 'running in background'? When you're not playing the game? And when you're offline?
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

RJG

Postby RJG » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:28 pm

Hi Jytte,

First question, “So as long as I have Steam on my PC, I need only ever log in once (when I first get it)?”

I would say “yes” BUT, Computers are like people, they are all different. What I can tell you is how Steam is working on my computer that is running Windows 10 Pro, Version 1809. I would assume it would run the same on yours but I don’t know that. On my system, I only connect to Steam maybe once a month to see if there are updates or fixes to my games and then I go offline again. Steam does provide all updates and fixes to all their games. This is a nice plus because as you know Windows 10 is constantly updating its operating system and its framework, which in some cases will affect certain other software installed on your system. In fact, this could be what has happened to your version of COTN.

Second question, yes, if you ever decide to remove Steam from your system it will remove all Steam games. If at a later date you want them back again all you would need to do is reinstall Steam, log-in, and all your games are still there for you to download and enjoy.

Third question, No, steam does not have anything running when it is in offline mode if it is configured properly using the settings I was talking about earlier. Steam runs as a Windows Service that is labeled Steam. If you configure Steam to not start when the operating system is started, it will not be running in the background on Windows start. When configured this way the Steam service gets set to “manual start” in the Service Control Manager and is not running. The only way this service gets turned on and is running, is if you choose to go online. Once you put Steam back in offline mode the service is again stopped.

No, I do not work for Steam…..LOL

Hope this helps, RjG

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:29 pm

RjG, Thanks, you are a prince.
And I didn't suspect you of working for Steam :lol:

Meanwhile I got a lengthy response from Gog support, on a Sunday no less, and there are a number of pointers (they had my DxDiag) that I want to go though. That still leaves me with the thought that there just has to be a 'hole' in the software off Gog, 4 different computers (3 of which had never seen CotN before) can't have the 'same problem'.

So, I'll try going on Steam, once I'm absolutely sure I have gotten rid of all remains from the other files.

Thanks again :)
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:36 pm

Waiting for a backup copy to finish, sigh... so checking on steam...
When I got CotN from Gog, I got 'Children of the Nile Complete', which included Alexandria.
Now I see on Steam that they have it in 2 editions: CotN Alexandria and CotN Enhanced edition. And then there's the option of buying the 'Pack' consisting of both.
So you guys bought the 'pack'? And it will automatically have both in one file?
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:49 pm

Well, it all seems to not matter one bit, because Steam won't accept PayPal.
I NEVER EVER use a credit card on the internet, EVER.
So I guess I'm done playing CotN

:evil:
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Found a video on YouTube that shows how you have to go around, and 'add funds to your account', then it will accept PayPal.
Sneaky.

Sorry fellows, if I seem grumpy. Being forced to do what I don't like has that effect on me.

I'll feel much better if I can get back up and running with CotN ;)
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:12 pm

To finish off this post...
It made no difference being on Steam, and I hated it, so that's all uninstalled.
And the saga continues in 'tech support'.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Return to “General Discussion”