Enhanced version of CotN to be re-released.

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
Yahya

Postby Yahya » Thu May 29, 2008 3:55 pm

"Khanon" wrote:...I think you're reading far more into what Chris said in the announcement.

Taken literally, it reads like when you create a brickyard, it takes x amount of bricks already made and stored and places them where you put the yard... Like creating an instant storage spot. This would allow more remote construction sites (think Valley of the Kings...Sun Temples, etc.) take a little less time than eternity to construct....

Well, if we wish to take the statement literally, Chris's post says:
...the 'Brickyard,' which allows you to quickly and easily place large amounts of bricks near construction sites, greatly accelerating the speed with which you can build your city....It can easily be inferred that he means bricks that are already constructed, but his post gives no clear implication of that, so the question occurred to me. I greatly doubt they would take such an extreme step, so it's not worth arguing; however, taken literally, the statement is "you can place large amounts of bricks", not "it takes x amount of bricks already made and stored."

Pat D.

Postby Pat D. » Thu May 29, 2008 4:13 pm

This is OUTSTANDING NEWS. This is still a game I enjoy playing and unlike many builders, does not seem dated when played today!

AWESOME TM!!!

pat!

Khanon

Postby Khanon » Thu May 29, 2008 4:26 pm

"Yahya" wrote:Well, if we wish to take the statement literally, Chris's post says:
...the 'Brickyard,' which allows you to quickly and easily place large amounts of bricks near construction sites, greatly accelerating the speed with which you can build your city....It can easily be inferred that he means bricks that are already constructed, but his post gives no clear implication of that, so the question occurred to me. I greatly doubt they would take such an extreme step, so it's not worth arguing; however, taken literally, the statement is "you can place large amounts of bricks", not "it takes x amount of bricks already made and stored."

Actually, taken literally, it does mean "place x that are already created". It says places them, not gives you x bricks... The implication more heavily leans to placing instead of creating. ;)

I love arguing semantics, personally. hehe

Who knows...if we argue it enough, maybe they'll be more exact...or not... lol

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu May 29, 2008 6:38 pm

"Yahya" wrote:You make a good point, Tink.

But, in your scenario, even if the bricklayers are built next to the brickmakers (and assuming some bricks are magically put in the brickyard), the bricklayers will only go the brickmaker once, at the start of their day.

Once they deliver to a site next to a brickyard, they would go back to the brickyard, and that would speed things up quite a bit.

I don't believe the game works this way, Yahya, so I just finished a Lab. 6 makers & layers with the Palace SA starting with 1000 bricks. Then, I placed a lg mastaba far away in a direct line with SA. Layers went to makers ( walking right by the SA) & back to makers & pretty much ignored the SA as long as the makers had bricks (even small amounts). When makers were empty, then the layers went to the SA.

But, all bricklayers could just be placed around a brickyard, giving us new area designs, and freeing up valuable space near the river, as bricklayers only need to be there because that's where the brickmakers are.

Then we have the problem with wanting to brickbuild somewhere else. We now have layers outta position again & deleting them gives us vagrants.

I just don't see the need for a Brickyard at all unless these other problems are dealt with. Especially for building in our city.

Should be interesting to see what TM has come up with...

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Thu May 29, 2008 7:49 pm

Good points again, both Khanon and Tink.

I am sure I have seen bricklayers going, say from the palace drop-off to the storage area, and back to complete a palace improvement. I've never checked the brickmaker balance at that time, though.

Interesting. I had thought they just went to the closest bricks, but not with priority for brickworks. You learn something every day.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu May 29, 2008 8:06 pm

I just did another Lab, but this time I edited in a new WM site that sends 100 bricks. I won't bore you with all the images I took. City is complete & all brickbuilding stopped. I then added a lg sphinx next to the DOP.

Palace SA still has 641 bricks & import DOP across the river has 162 bricks. 8 makers have from 0-14 bricks, mostly less than 10. 8 layers.

Imaged is a layer just dropping off bricks & going back to maker (most go back to maker). 1-2 went back to Palace SA (ignoring makers who still have bricks), but one layer hung around doing what you claimed. Back & forth DOP to lg sphinx under construction until the day ended, where he went home.

The ones going to the Palace SA shocked me (it is much farther away than makers)! :eek:

So, there are exceptions to the pathing. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Thu May 29, 2008 8:16 pm

Hmm. Maybe only one person can go to each spot at a time?

I'm not sure that's true, but maybe only one guy can go to the DOP, then one to each brickmaker, and then the remaining guy would go to the palace, even though it is in the next time zone.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu May 29, 2008 8:28 pm

With only 8 layers & lg sphinx needing 250 bricks, that would be 25 trips minimum. This continued the next day & still only one hung around doing the DOP-lg sphinx thang.

There were enough makers for each layer, but sometimes makers were 0, so that would explain the ones going to the Palace SA.

Only one at a time to the DOP for the lg sphinx is a reasonable conclusion, but while my city was building some went to the DOP to build my shrines (more than one at a time). Different shrines could explain that one.

Very interesting! :D

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Thu May 29, 2008 9:12 pm

Hmm. Very unusual results, and vastly different than my perception. :p

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu May 29, 2008 9:52 pm

Mine also! A bit further labbing with two DOPs got one layer to hang around for each & sometimes three for awhile.

So it looks like a Brickyard CAN speed up building w/o layers nearby! If it magically combines bricks from a bunch of makers with only a couple of bricks each, then it would be even faster so everyone can carry ten. And, if it has no people, then deleting it would not cause vagrants.

Ship it, TM! :D

EDIT: TM could also allow layers to get bricks from an exchange. That doesn't work. ;)
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Thu May 29, 2008 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mouse

Postby mouse » Thu May 29, 2008 10:50 pm

Where oh where is David Bebee our best leaker of information :D

Zeal

Postby Zeal » Thu May 29, 2008 11:35 pm

Don't you guys think it is a little early to make assumptions on how things will work?
especially considering they actually told us very little.

thegrad

When

Postby thegrad » Fri May 30, 2008 12:01 am

I will look at the "new pretties" when they get here, I just want to know when to expect them. :D :D

CatMajik

Postby CatMajik » Fri May 30, 2008 1:09 pm

Oh..........plz.................when can we have it........huh .........huh...........
plz tell us ;)

Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Fri May 30, 2008 8:06 pm

I see the brickyard has created a lot of guessing. :p For someone like me, who likes to build a necropolis with mastabas for all the nobles on the west side of the river, usually far away from the city, it sounds like a good thing, no matter how it works. ;)

The thing I'm really wondering about are the "series of content packs for CotN that will always be well worth the loaf of bread to barter for. Depending on demand we will expand or contract this series going forward." Are these going to be packages of downloadable content that are sold? Maybe there is going to be something like a campaign that features Rameses II, five cities, and some added on goodies or changed graphics that correspond with it? Maybe an Akhetaten campaign, where you can actually build temples only to Aten and different palaces, not to mention tombs? :eek: :cool:

AnnT

Postby AnnT » Fri May 30, 2008 8:13 pm

Perhaps like the warcraft series, or majesty...with expansion packs.

However the brick thing works, I'll be happy. I'm so tired of watching my idiot bricklayers going to get bricks, picking up the ONE brick from the brickworks and then taking it all the way across the map to the mastabas. criminy.

but you know....that really does sound like some of the people I've supervised.....

ETA: OOOOOOOO! I'm a villager now! I have a HOUSE!!

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Fri May 30, 2008 8:22 pm

"Zeal" wrote:Don't you guys think it is a little early to make assumptions on how things will work?
especially considering they actually told us very little.

Yeah, but just look at what they stirred-up. I think it's neat. Keep 'm comin'. :D

arcan

Postby arcan » Fri May 30, 2008 8:31 pm

"tomnobles" wrote:Yeah, but just look at what they stirred-up. I think it's neat. Keep 'm comin'. :D

Quite the contrary, it's the perfect time for a little guesswork.who'll prove right ?

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Fri May 30, 2008 10:14 pm

Exactly!

Imperius Leader

Postby Imperius Leader » Fri May 30, 2008 10:47 pm

This is a game I always come back to...its so adictive. I hope the new buildings they introduce are rock tombs, paint makers and oil lamp producers as well as more statues and gate houses for the walls. I hope they also find a way to get rid of the gliding figures and make the animals more viscous. IE attacking people if they are within a certail radius and the people running away screaming. :p

One other thing I'd like to see is irigated field as well as being able to build farms on pasture. IE the ability to grow Flax and hemp farms
Last edited by Imperius Leader on Fri May 30, 2008 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”