Here's a list of the improvements we made since 188.8.131.52:
- Lots of fixes for French, German, Italian, and Spanish where strings would be missing or have extra nonsense at the end of them. We also made cheats work again in French, German, and Italian. Some messages appearing with a "<city_name>" marker in them have been taught to speak proper German.
- When running the game on Vista, you can now open scenario info screens without crashing, regardless of your user privileges. This will let you start a campaign or load a scenario without any of the fiddly rigamarole with properties and options you had to go through before.
- Fonts are now installed in-game if needed, fixing a problem where you'd lose most text and could crash if the game was updated without your machine being restarted.
- Steam achievements now work properly. IMPORTANT: On some machines, this will prevent you from running the game directly from the "steamapps/common/children of the nile" folder. You'll need to start the game from the Steam client, or use the client to create a shortcut (right-click on the game in "My Games", select "Create desktop shortcut", and move that shortcut wherever you like).
- The latest version of DirectX is now automatically installed if you need it when you first run the game.
An equivalent update will be available in patch form (as 184.108.40.206) very soon.
Looking forward to hearing your comments and suggestions; I hope you enjoy the new version!
Edit: Update: A minor update for the Steam version, to 220.127.116.11, has been released. This fixes problems some folks were having as a result of DirectX being automatically updated when the game was first run (blue screens in CotN and other applications).