Children of the Nile on Steam updated

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
Will Jennings

Children of the Nile on Steam updated

Postby Will Jennings » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:27 pm

An update to the Steam version of Children of the Nile, taking it to 1.3.1.2, is now available. You'll get the update automatically the next time you start the game through the Steam client.

Here's a list of the improvements we made since 1.3.1.0:

• Lots of fixes for French, German, Italian, and Spanish where strings would be missing or have extra nonsense at the end of them. We also made cheats work again in French, German, and Italian. Some messages appearing with a "<city_name>" marker in them have been taught to speak proper German.
  • When running the game on Vista, you can now open scenario info screens without crashing, regardless of your user privileges. This will let you start a campaign or load a scenario without any of the fiddly rigamarole with properties and options you had to go through before.
  • Fonts are now installed in-game if needed, fixing a problem where you'd lose most text and could crash if the game was updated without your machine being restarted.
  • Steam achievements now work properly. IMPORTANT: On some machines, this will prevent you from running the game directly from the "steamapps/common/children of the nile" folder. You'll need to start the game from the Steam client, or use the client to create a shortcut (right-click on the game in "My Games", select "Create desktop shortcut", and move that shortcut wherever you like).
  • The latest version of DirectX is now automatically installed if you need it when you first run the game.

An equivalent update will be available in patch form (as 1.3.0.1) very soon.

Looking forward to hearing your comments and suggestions; I hope you enjoy the new version!

Edit: Update: A minor update for the Steam version, to 1.3.1.3, has been released. This fixes problems some folks were having as a result of DirectX being automatically updated when the game was first run (blue screens in CotN and other applications).
Last edited by Will Jennings on Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:27 am

Nice. :)

Have you done something about the mighty morphing brickmakers' houses?

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:10 pm

"Azeem" wrote:Nice. :)

Have you done something about the mighty morphing brickmakers' houses?

I second that question, though a workaround is to use 'V' to get the "improved" house, and place it accordingly. After they get their first load of bread from the bakery, their house improves and fixes its orientation.

But that really does need to be fixed, lest we have massive grids of 2x2 around the city, separated by roads. :D

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:18 pm

I find that my brickmakers still morph even if they have enough bread. There's something bugged about them.

Will Jennings

Postby Will Jennings » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:13 pm

The mighty morphing brickmakers survived this batch of fixes, yes. The changelist at the top is complete, I think - we probably haven't fixed it yet if it isn't on there.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:34 pm

I don't know why so many are disturbed by the brickmakers, Will. However, if you ever get around to fixing the failed flood bug on hard difficulty giving me too much food, I will absolutely faint with joy! ;)

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:02 am

Sounds like another possibility for a future patch. ;)

Also, just a bit curious here - with SCS and Destinations done and over with and with TM making Hinterlands as well as updating CotN, what will be done with SCS? Was Destinations the end of it?

Ashkir

Postby Ashkir » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:24 pm

I just bought it through Steam. :]

6.99 for both Enhance + Alexandria! =D.

Return to “General Discussion”