Wish list?

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
Psalm51

Wish list?

Postby Psalm51 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:29 pm

Is it too soon for talk to start about what some of would like to see in a future edition or upgrade to Children of the Nile? If it is not too soon then one aspect I have wanted to see in a game like this is the ability to "warp" into one of the game NPC's and control them as they move around the city you have built or are building. This option is available in modified form in a number of RTS's but is it available in a city builder like CotN? I suspect that it is a feature of anyone who has played games for years that they would like to experience "first hand" the world they have built. Think of it; reading papyrus rolls in the library, checking out crocs on the riverside, climb to the top of a pyramid, stealing a bun in the bakery, going for a river ride...

Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:44 pm

"Psalm51" wrote:Is it too soon for talk to start about what some of would like to see in a future edition or upgrade to Children of the Nile?
No, it isn't. ;) :)

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:33 pm

I'll bite. thegrad has found, and I have confirmed a bug in the campaign editor, for campaigns created post version 1.3. This bug prevents the playing of that campaign due to repeated inability of the campaign to locate scenario and sound files.

Before any goodies get added, I'd like to see that fixed. It's a problem that can limit the game's future somewhat.

thegrad

Postby thegrad » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:14 pm

"Yahya" wrote:I'll bite. thegrad has found, and I have confirmed a bug in the campaign editor, for campaigns created post version 1.3. This bug prevents the playing of that campaign due to repeated inability of the campaign to locate scenario and sound files.

Before any goodies get added, I'd like to see that fixed. It's a problem that can limit the game's future somewhat.

I agree, I feel this bug will have a huge bearing on the future of scenairo making. I hope it is the first thing fixed. PLEASE

Nyarlahotep

I too...

Postby Nyarlahotep » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:38 am

feel that players should be able to make reliable campaigns, but to address Psalm51: I often select a person, hit F2 to get back to restricted camera, then hit the "," key and zoom all the way in. It's true you cant direct them where to go but you can get some interesting views that way.

Psalm51

Postby Psalm51 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:00 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies although I noted that the thread was hijacked by a plea to get a significant bug fixed! Apologies for missing the fact that there was a thread on this subject already but I did have a look round before posting. With regard to the bug, am I right in saying that it won't affect anyone playing the main game campaign?

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:34 pm

Psalm51 wrote:...am I right in saying that it won't affect anyone playing the main game campaign?

It seems that the Grand Campaign functions correctly. But it seems that any new campaigns (including those created by TM) will not function correctly until the bug is addressed.

Psalm51 wrote:...although I noted that the thread was hijacked by a plea to get a significant bug fixed!

I must say, I hardly considered your thread "hijacked" earlier, though it most certainly is now due to that comment. I don't think a bug fix is an unreasonable thing to add to a wish list. Bugs should be fixed, first and foremost, when applying new updates. Then new things should be added (which will, of course, add new bugs).

It is especially important when the bug was introduced in the last month, due to the latest updates. If they only fix one thing, it should be that bug.

That said, I am not holding my breath for any further updates. It is entirely possible that they could be done updating CotN, and are moving all their attention to Hinterland and whatever is next on their horizon. It's not that likely, because TM is a far better organization than that. But it's not out of the realm of possibility.

In any case, I will now un-hijack your thread. Go nuts.

thegrad

User-created Campaigns

Postby thegrad » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:32 pm

"Yahya" wrote:It seems that the Grand Campaign functions correctly. But it seems that any new campaigns (including those created by TM) will not function correctly until the bug is addressed.

I must say, I hardly considered your thread "hijacked" earlier, though it most certainly is now due to that comment. I don't think a bug fix is an unreasonable thing to add to a wish list. Bugs should be fixed, first and foremost, when applying new updates. Then new things should be added (which will, of course, add new bugs).

It is especially important when the bug was introduced in the last month, due to the latest updates. If they only fix one thing, it should be that bug.

That said, I am not holding my breath for any further updates. It is entirely possible that they could be done updating CotN, and are moving all their attention to Hinterland and whatever is next on their horizon. It's not that likely, because TM is a far better organization than that. But it's not out of the realm of possibility.

In any case, I will now un-hijack your thread. Go nuts.

I just checked, and any user-created campaign made before the "Enhancement download" will still work. You have to put them in the campaign folder in the main game file. If they are put in the "My Documents" campaign folder they will not work.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:19 pm

"thegrad" wrote:I just checked, and any user-created campaign made before the "Enhancement download" will still work. You have to put them in the campaign folder in the main game file. If they are put in the "My Documents" campaign folder they will not work.

What a mess! So you mean user created scenarios should be in the of My Documents scenario folder (in my case C drive), but user created campaigns in the campaign folder in the main game file (in my case D drive)? I think I'm missing here something! :confused:

Psalm51, I think this thread is far from being hijacked. :D
Anyway fixing bugs is number one on my wish list.

thegrad

Postby thegrad » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:21 pm

"Kiya" wrote:What a mess! So you mean user created scenarios should be in the of My Documents scenario folder (in my case C drive), but user created campaigns in the campaign folder in the main game file (in my case D drive)? I think I'm missing here something! :confused:

Psalm51, I think this thread is far from being hijacked. :D
Anyway fixing bugs is number one on my wish list.

Yes Kiya, If you put the user - created campaigns in the "My Documents" campaign folder, you will get a message file cannot be found. But if placed in the main folder (like we use to do) they play fine. Since the "Enhancement" campaigns can not be made. However you put user - created scenairos in the "My Documents" scenairo folder.
Last edited by thegrad on Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:03 pm

my wish list?

less secrecy and more spilled beans!

srrsly this silence is killing me >_>

Psalm51

Hey, I'm the new boy here...

Postby Psalm51 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:11 am

By the way, I have no objection if a thread I start gets "hijacked" and taken in another direction. This is fine with me; my earlier comment was me trying to be a little funny (poor attempt, I know!) I have also noted the correspondence over where user created scenario and campaign files should be stored post latest patch, so I have learnt something new too.

Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:06 pm

"King Faticus" wrote:less secrecy and more spilled beans!

srrsly this silence is killing me >_>
Did you miss the interview with GameShark?

So tell us about the upcoming content pack for Children of the Nile.

Chris Beatrice: We need to set people’s expectations right. We’re a real indie now, so people shouldn’t expect something like they’d get with Societies or something as big as Children. It’s not going to be a 15 or 20 dollar expansion, just a content pack. But this will be the first of hopefully more to come. Each one will have two or three scenarios within a specific campaign and the first one will be called “Alexandria.”

Alexandria will have the Great Library and the Lighthouse of Pharos as monuments you can build. It’s a specific city in a specific period of time, so there are new units (Greek hoplites will be raiders.) There are new carried resources such as copper and tin. There is also a world level now. It’s a new setting and era all tied together to be about 10 or 20 hours of gameplay in a focused experience. Alexandria will sell for fewer than ten dollars, which is about as cheap as you can get. It’s not Destinations, with 115 new buildings, but as a dollar value, I think it will be worth it for people who like Children.

thegrad

TM - I Am Still Wishing

Postby thegrad » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:52 pm

Does anyone know if we are going to be able to continue to make campaigns for CotN? :(

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:26 pm

"Jimaaten" wrote:Did you miss the interview with GameShark?

yes I have read that.. twice.. it was roughly two weeks old at the time I posted wasn't it?

Return to “General Discussion”