Campaign

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
Zach

Campaign

Postby Zach » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:51 pm

First, some background info since you all are generally a very social bunch. :) I originally registered here back when I first bought Caesar IV. When reading that section of forums, I kept seeing remarks here and there from various senior and respected forum members about the greatness of CotN, so much so that last summer I decided to buy it. (Admittedly, the release of the EE patch was a big factor, too, in getting me to finally try out the game for myself.)

Don't ask me why, but for the last nine months I kept getting sidetracked and never really started to play CotN, though I have played through the tutorials three times now.

Long story short, today for the first time ever I finally clicked the "Grand Campaign" button, and I was presented with the following:

So is that it? The campaign only consists of three scenarios: one easy, one medium, and one hard? :(

Amrine

Postby Amrine » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:32 pm

Nonono! That's simply the beginning of the Campaign. You pick one scenario, complete it (or win the scenario), then you are presented with a new selection screen with three new city scenario choices. There are several and doing all of them takes quite some time.

When you finish all those choices, there are some wonderful player made scenarios available for you to download and try.

Aspergersboy

Postby Aspergersboy » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:56 pm

"Zach" wrote:First, some background info since you all are generally a very social bunch. :) I originally registered here back when I first bought Caesar IV. When reading that section of forums, I kept seeing remarks here and there from various senior and respected forum members about the greatness of CotN, so much so that last summer I decided to buy it. (Admittedly, the release of the EE patch was a big factor, too, in getting me to finally try out the game for myself.)

Don't ask me why, but for the last nine months I kept getting sidetracked and never really started to play CotN, though I have played through the tutorials three times now.

Long story short, today for the first time ever I finally clicked the "Grand Campaign" button, and I was presented with the following:

So is that it? The campaign only consists of three scenarios: one easy, one medium, and one hard? :(

I thought that too, but what you are being presented with is a period within Egyptian history. Completing any one of those missions brings you to the next period and so on...

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:59 pm

There is 1 each (easy, medium and hard) on 5 layers. Or 3 x 5 = 15 scenarios in the campaign.

Most play the easy first then medium then hard. However you can play a layer at a time. That is, the world map you are posting is one layer.

Zach

Postby Zach » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:13 pm

Ah, okay. That makes sense. Thanks!

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:23 pm

Howdy, Zach!

What you see is Tier 1 of the three "campaigns" that are not really campaigns. You pick one & after the win screen, you get to Tier 2. You can go back & forth between campaigns (easy, moderate & hard) at each tier step.

This should probably help --> Campaign Road Map

Now at the bottom you will notice "stand alone" scenarios that you can play via "Play a scenario" option (that also contains all the campaign scenarios). They are exactly the same as campaign scenarios with full World Maps to explore. Just no win screen. Hence they are called "sandbox" but really are not. They are full scenarios & some are very tough!

Lastly, never stop at the win screen or you really miss a lot of the bliss of COTN. Continue Play & complete the World Map!
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zach

Postby Zach » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:41 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:This should probably help --> Campaign Road Map

Oh, yeah. I remember that sticky now. It's been a couple of years since I clicked on it, though, so I forgot all about it. :o

Of course, given that it's ~4.5 years old, and we are still around to know or even care about it says a lot about this game I suspect. :)

Edit:

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Lastly, never stop at the win screen or you really miss a lot of the bliss of COTN. Continue Play & complete the World Map!

Speaking of which, I "won" the first (Tier 1 - Easy ["Nekhen"]) map, and the only thing left to do on the world map was conquer that Baris enemy fort. Being I didn't feel like building up 200 troops, I took the game's advice and instead just laid siege on its neighboring supply town. The game text stated: "It will take several years to wear down the enemy but it can be done."

Well, I started the siege in 2362 BC, and now it's 2352 BC. How many years does this take? Does anyone remember? My fear is that since I've already "won" the scenario this siege event will never fire and that I've been wasting my time all night long waiting for it to happen.

And yes, I've made sure I've had their yearly tribute every year, too:

Edit #2: Never mind. I did a forum search (search string = "Nekhen siege"), and the first thread in the results list had the answer. (link) A belated thanks to Tinkerbell for opening up the scenario in the editor and finding out it is 10.4 years. Looks like I gave up only seconds before it would have ended. :rolleyes:
Last edited by Zach on Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Return to “General Discussion”