Bricklayers broken/glitch/bug

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
GreekFighter

Bricklayers broken/glitch/bug

Postby GreekFighter » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:00 pm

I wonder if anyone else has ran into the problem I'm about to post, and that if there is a solutin for it.

In CoTN, if you do one of the scenarios that has one of the "sandbox" scenarios where you can just build till your hearts content, and even in other scenarios, for some reason when I grow my city to so big, the brick layers kinda dont work anymore, they'll do a variety of things.
1. They'll perpetually get and return bricks to the brickwords without going anywhere
2. They won't do anything when structures need to be built, and instead just sit there in there houses, doing NOTHING.
3. They kind of run around with bricks that there "transporting" and never build anything.

Any solution on how to fix this?

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:20 pm

You probably have blocked construction sites. If they can't reach them, they behave the way you experienced.
Always keep a building (even a wall) acessable from at least one side (road or open space). Even if it looks like there is space, like if there is only a tree, the bricklayers might not reach it.

If you have a savegame, you can upload it so we can look into it, but I'm pretty sure this is your problem.

GreekFighter

Postby GreekFighter » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:35 pm

I'll attach it now, but it looks like though that the construction places are open and avaliable, for instance, I need another barge made, and they sit there, if you want play around in it, previosly I've already deleted all my brick works to stop them from looping to it constantly, rebuild the brick works, and repositioned the brick layers in different areas to see if they'd act differently, anyways, go see if you guys can figure it out, I played around abit earlier, and they still refuse to do junk when my city gets THIS huge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:32 pm

Howdy, GreekFighter!

I just briefly had a look at your save & sakasiru was correct. Sorry to say, but your city is a mess.

Your destination blockage is your barracks placed in huge blocks. Bricklayers will not jump over placed buildings to get to the insides. Even a 3x3 will never get the inside built & results in the endless bricklayer loop you are seeing.

Most of your buildings are smashed together & placed in the default position. You can barely get away with this if the buildings do not require bricks for construction like your huge blocks of solid farmers, but the game will lag with lots of "deciding what to do" delays & pathfinding problems.

Every building should only be placed in back-to-back x2 rows with a road or space in front of their doors. Even your mastabas do not have access to them. Use the R key when placing or better to click-hold-drag to the road/space. The red arrow shows the direction people will leave the building.

Please turn every building properly, stop building blocks & your problems will totally disappear.

Example

Hope this helps & Good Luck with your replay. Your next city will be much better now.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

GreekFighter

Postby GreekFighter » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:06 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Howdy, GreekFighter!

I just briefly had a look at your save & sakasiru was correct. Sorry to say, but your city is a mess.

Your destination blockage is your barracks placed in huge blocks. Bricklayers will not jump over placed buildings to get to the insides. Even a 3x3 will never get the inside built & results in the endless bricklayer loop you are seeing.

Most of your buildings are smashed together & placed in the default position. You can barely get away with this if the buildings do not require bricks for construction like your huge blocks of solid farmers, but the game will lag with lots of "deciding what to do" delays & pathfinding problems.

Every building should only be placed in back-to-back x2 rows with a road or space in front of their doors. Even your mastabas do not have access to them. Use the R key when placing or better to click-hold-drag to the road/space. The red arrow shows the direction people will leave the building.

Please turn every building properly, stop building blocks & your problems will totally disappear.

Example

Hope this helps & Good Luck with your replay. Your next city will be much better now.

Ah thank you, Ill try this, oddly enough, even though i clumped the mastabas together, they got built (I guess maybe because they could be accessed from behind)

So your essentially saying that there looping because they cant actually get to them and that I clump all my buildings together?

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:56 pm

"GreekFighter" wrote:Ah thank you, Ill try this, oddly enough, even though i clumped the mastabas together, they got built (I guess maybe because they could be accessed from behind)

Well, it is a bit more complicated than this. There is the construction & then there is the proper building function. Two different issues.

The mastabas can be built from behind, but if Pharaoh dies, the royal coffin may not be able to be buried there if the door is blocked. Same with other deaths like royal family & nobles.

The mastaba has an outline with posts, so you may think it has accsss, when it really doesn't. Tha mastaba courtyard is considered part of the building & not a pathway. Many of your mastabas are fine, but some are not.

So your essentially saying that there looping because they cant actually get to them and that I clump all my buildings together?

Yes, the ones that require bricks (mostly barracks & laborers huts ~ small buildings) & need to be able to be accessed by bricklayers. The non-brick buildings like farmers, nobles, brickmakers etc don't really have this problem. They have other problems, but the game will still work, but not as well. You will notice the "deciding what to do" hesitations & then the teleporting into buildings or over buildings. Pathfinding & decision-making is affected.

However, brickmakers have their own specific problems if they don't have road access to their front doors. Stuck bricklayers in their courtyards.

Lux shops are another. Your people will still be able to buy wares from an improperly turned lux shop, but merchant pedders will get stuck & a new one next year will also get stuck. This is why you had so many merchant tents.

Some buildings function properly & some do not. It is best, as a general rule, just to do it correctly for all buildings. Some New Players go to the other extreme & put roads totally around every building. This is definitely not necessary & as you can see in my sample image, I really smash buildings together to cut down on the walking distance. We just have to do it properly.

The game claims that roads are not necessary & this is definitely true. However, buildings can & usually are smaller than their footprints. This is why I always build roads, cuz a road will show me whether or not there really is walkable space. The road will show up under the building & that is not good for pathing (your save has this). Neither are dead-end roads.

Your people have a lot to do each & every day. Anything that slows them down or makes them walk farther will cost your city efficiency & happiness will suffer.

Almost every New Player goes through this, so you are definitely not alone. ;)
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:25 pm, edited 10 times in total.

GreekFighter

Postby GreekFighter » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:17 pm

Yup you were right, I decided to start from scratch again, decided to replan and lay out things the RIGHT way, so by far, thanks, I just thought the game broke after so many buildings.

And also, couldn't roads cut down times to certain locations anyways?

Oh, and thanks Tinkerbell =D

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:23 am

Roads do speed up your citizens, but they're not absolutely necessary. Also, placing them under buildings can mess up pathing AI.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:58 pm

"Azeem" wrote:Roads do speed up your citizens, but they're not absolutely necessary. Also, placing them under buildings can mess up pathing AI.

In addition to his, roads can cut down travel times & distances. Your people will not normally climb mountains nor a tiny bump (unless the scenariomaker has smoothed up the hill). They will walk around. Sometimes the looong way around.

Roads over mountains work miracles!

Return to “General Discussion”