COTN Enhanced & Alexandria

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
PantherX

COTN Enhanced & Alexandria

Postby PantherX » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:41 pm

Hello TM,

I am interested in playing the new items in Alexandria. As I understand it, this requires me to get the enhanced version of COTN and the expansion because the expansion does not work with my retail box version.

Are these only available via Download? If so I think that is bad for me.
I have paid for 3 games in the past via download. In all 3 cases, as soon as any one of the parties involved decides to stop supporting/selling the game it stops working and becomes impossible to even install. I will not rent any more games in this manner.

I would like to buy a boxed version that I can install and play regardless of being connected to the internet. Is there any available option? I would be happy with a set of CD's, I really don't need "the box".

Thanks!
PantherX

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:49 pm

Howdy again, PantherX!

This is a tough one, but that has never stopped me before, so I will take this on again.

I first tried to purchase Alexandria only XPac from Steam (after I finally got broadband in Jan 2009) & it would not work with my cd version of the game. We have posts about the very same thing from all other download versions. They all appear to require rebuying the basic game from the same download provider for it to totally work.

So, I bit the bullet & rebought the original also via Steam, cuz I had to have it. This means that I now have three complete COTN games on my computer & all three of them work. I can play either COTN enhanced v1.3.01 or Alexandria via Steam. It has two entries on my playlist & each is the complete game. The basic COTN is in two locations in my Steam Application files, Enhanced & Alexandria.

I still have the original cd patched to Enhanced v1.3.01 also in a different location on my computer. It also works if I put my cd in.

I have heard of posters claiming that they emailed their download provider & they got a free basic COTN download so that Alexandria would work, but I wonder how much begging is required or if others can do it also. Worth a try?

Hopefully, others can chime in here with their experiences.

As an aside, Hinterland Orc Lords will probably be the same situation. We will have to buy the full game again, even though we already have the Original Hinterland download. Again, I have bit the bullet & pre-ordered Orc Lords on cd.

Good Luck! :)

lackoo

Postby lackoo » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:59 pm

I bought them from Impulse.

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:44 pm

Hello PantherX,

I bought Alexanderia from GamersGate. I don't have to be online to play nor do I have to have the enhanced version. GamersGate also does not have a client running on your machine.
Last edited by tomnobles on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Refined link. o_O

ncfluffy

Hi PantherX!

Postby ncfluffy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:50 pm

I too have the boxed game that I bought whenever the game came out. I downloaded the patch 1.3... and than I downloaded Alexandria through gamersgate and it works fine.

You only need to be online when you first install Alexandria.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

Ladymame

Alexandria Expansion

Postby Ladymame » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:37 pm

I had and was playing the Disc retail version after updating it with the patch. I just purchased and installed the Alexandria Expansion from Gamersgate. It did not install over the previous game files as expected so I, essentially, had two separate versions of the game. I moved the new download into the Tilted Mill folder and it replaced the previous w/patch version. I now have one, updated version of the game.

Now, since I lost the mods that I had previously installed, did I also lose the patch? When I attempted to install the patch again, it couldn't run as some file was not found. I'm hoping the expansion included the patch fixes.

Can anyone confirm this or, if I do need to reinstall the patch, provide instructions? Thank you.

Ladymame

Postby Ladymame » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:22 pm

I've been doing a lot of installing and uninstalling to test where the Moon and Sun went. It's the patch, the sky never darkens much more than a purpley-blue and night only lasts 3-4 hours. The patch appears, as best as I can tell, to be included in the Alexandria Expansion.

Return to “General Discussion”