Basalt and cedar

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
Stormcrow

Basalt and cedar

Postby Stormcrow » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:40 pm

Ok, call me crazy but I thought statuemakers using basalt and furniture maker using cedar was patched out like 1.1 and now it is back with 1.3? I can't find anything about it in the patch notes for any of the patches but I went back to one of my 1.2 saves and there's 28 small statues in my dop. Since 1.3 the little bastards scoff them up as soon as they come off the boat and they don't even pay me as much bread as it costs me to import them. Cedar is about as bad, if the shipright doesn't get off his lazy ass quickly it gets turned into furniture.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:38 pm

If I remember correctly, cedar was always used by carpenters. You should place the cedar import dop close to the shipwright, put cedar on reserve and drop the reserve once the shipbuilder is at home.

The basalt statues are used now too, that's right. You won't get the import price, but if you sell the basalt statues to peddlers, you can get some decent taxes at the merchant center if you set a scribe to get them. You have to see if it's worth your impoert price (plus the cost for the scribe, too) yourself, though. I once made a heavily trade related scenario where I calculated it thoroughly, but in every other scenario it just depends on what the designer set as a price for the basalt to import.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:55 pm

Howdy, Stormcrow!

Yep, cedar has always been used by Furniture shops & nothing has changed there. Now, with Great Works requiring cedar in Alexandria, I have had to reduce the number of landings (landings trigger barges to be built) or totally delete my shipwright(s) for awhile.

V1.3 changed Sculpture shops back to the original v1.0 using small basalt & they will steal our imported basalt if we don't use our reserve. We definitely lose the import cost big time if they are sold to our people/peddlers. Basalt Sculpture was 12 bread, but I haven't labbed if the price has changed yet.

If it helps, we don't really need that many lux shops & you can even delete some & use peddlers at merchant centers to import the lux. ;) If the scenario is tricky, you can even run w/o specific lux shops if you have exotic imported lux such as furs, monkeys, incense & spice as substitutes.

I haven't exactly figured it out yet, why, but sometimes the game will even ignore basalt reserves. :eek:

My scenario Atlantis was designed to give the player a bit of basalt hell (and a few other hells). :D

There are solutions for every situation.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Stormcrow

Postby Stormcrow » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:20 pm

Thanks for the replys. I guess I never caught the carpenters or maybe they just didn't have enough food to buy cedar. The sculpters will spend themselves down to like 10 food left buying basalt I've noticed. Just glad to know it isn't a bug and it isn't me losing my mind. Anyone figure out how much they pay for each unit?

Skye

Postby Skye » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:26 pm

Excuse me for asking but what is DOP?

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:00 pm

Drop Off Point. The little white square where merchants drop their wares.

Skye

Postby Skye » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:47 pm

I should have known that. Thanks.

Return to “General Discussion”