Can't get Cedar

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
Skye

Can't get Cedar

Postby Skye » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:42 am

I am playing son of Ra, which is my first attempt other than the tutorials, but when I go into world map there is nowhere where I can buy cedar, unlike in the tutorals, everything else is there though. If I can't get it how on earth do I build the boats.

CatMajik

Postby CatMajik » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:57 am

Hi Skye, If I can remember correctly, you must open other sites before either Lebanon or Bylbos is available to purchase cedar.

Skye

Postby Skye » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:08 pm

Thanks, I will have a look at that. With this game there is so much to learn, far more that Sims 2, thank goodness for this forum, where everyone is so helpful. Are you saying that if I trade with one of the places on the map, then others become available? I have had another look but there is no Lebanon or Bylbos showing up.
Last edited by Skye on Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:32 pm

Howdy again, Skye!

To be historically correct, cedar is usually found in the upper northeast of the World Map in COTN canned scenarios, such as Lebanon or Bylbos, as CatMajik posted.

However, a scenariomaker can make any WM site export cedar to you. Son of Ra is one such exception.

Look to the southwest. ;)

Yes, the fun of exploring the WM is that opening sites can not only give us access to important goods not available in the City Map, they can also give us the two types of prestige. Sometimes one type, or both, or neither.

1) Instant Exploits prestige as shown above their WM display.

2) The ability to build Propaganda Monuments in your city for more prestige ~ obelisks & steles. After opening a WM site, check your Build Menu/Monuments/Propaganda to see if you can build a new granite monument.

Opening a WM site can reveal new sites. This is why we should always complete the WM, cuz the important goods, like your cedar, will only be revealed much later in the WM exploration.

Skye

Postby Skye » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:26 pm

OK Thanks. I am not finding this game easy, I suppose after a time I will get the hang of it. I was looking for copper too, I have everything but, but I think I found that in the WM, not too sure though. I will just plod on and hope for the best, it doesn't matter if it all goes wrong, I can always start off again.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:02 pm

"Skye" wrote:OK Thanks. I am not finding this game easy, I suppose after a time I will get the hang of it.

Yes, you will master it. I have no doubt of this. I hope I didn't imply that Son of Ra was easy for the New Player. The easy part is that it has a lot of room to build & also begins with 300 viliagers. You will find that Campaign scenarios will add buildable map space difficulty & especially begin with far fewer villagers.

I was looking for copper too, I have everything but, but I think I found that in the WM, not too sure though. I will just plod on and hope for the best, it doesn't matter if it all goes wrong, I can always start off again.

I think, but would have to check, that there is also every mine possible on the City Map including copper if you wanna mine yourself. You can tell what mines & quarries are on your City Map by right-clicking on an Overseer. Whatever he can do is highlighted (meaning that mine/quarry is present), so you don't actually have to search the City Map for them, unless you want to.

Copper is also probably available on the World Map too. Somewhere. ;)

Skye

Postby Skye » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:47 pm

I will come back to you that, when I have an overseer. I didn't know you could find it that way. With me I need an instruction book which tells me to do this or that, going through every aspect, then I understand, that's the trouble with getting old, you can't take things in at times. All in all though I am enjoying it. It took me 5 months to learn everything about the Sims 2.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:51 pm

If you click on the big ? on the interface or F1, it will take you to the Help Menu. Lots of useful info there. The very first item is INDEX. It has every keyword in the game.

The World Map has another big ? & will take you to another Help Menu.

Skye

Postby Skye » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:24 pm

I have had a look at the? I have found the copper, but have lost it again. Still I will find it once I start putting in labourers. I think I have found all of them. It is such a big map and I get lost. Pity you couldn't put flags up.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:50 pm

When I want to identify something on the map, I paint roads, like for where a raider or trade donkey entered the map or to identify a mine hidden by a bunch of rocks. I draw a big >

Now entrance points can be almost anywhere & the next year they come from a different direction, so I end up with quite a few >'s all over the place. ;)

Keep in mind that placing roads next to mines can disrupt where the game places the automatic storage area for the gems & metals (and this can slow down the mining output), so don't place roads too close to a mine.

Skye

Postby Skye » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:58 pm

That's a good idea. I had another look whilst my building was erecting, and still couldn't find it. I must admit that I prefer this game to CivCity Rome, I get bored easily with it.

CatMajik

Postby CatMajik » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:18 pm

"Skye" wrote:That's a good idea. I had another look whilst my building was erecting, and still couldn't find it. I must admit that I prefer this game to CivCity Rome, I get bored easily with it.

Skye, check out this website http://cotn.heavengames.com/ It is packed with information re: all aspects of CoTN.

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:28 pm

"Skye" wrote:That's a good idea. I had another look whilst my building was erecting, and still couldn't find it. I must admit that I prefer this game to CivCity Rome, I get bored easily with it.

I have CCR too. I played it through a few times and finally uninstalled it.

You might enjoy Caesar IV then, because it uses the same sort of game engine that CotN uses. It's not quite the same as CotN, but rather a blend of features from CotN and Caesar III.

Skye

Postby Skye » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:40 pm

Thank you for the link, I will take a good look at that later.

With CCR I find it a bit tedious, I had thought of getting Caesar 1V, though I am not sure if it will run on my laptop, due to this DirectX 9c. Though it is very cheap from Amazon at present. So you think it is good then. I love the city building but I don't like CCR whereby you have to wait for all the buildings and I am stuck on Mission 4, as I don't know what I am supposed to be doing, and all that nattering and warnings all the time drives me nuts.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:30 pm

Caesar IV is also an excellent TM game! Everyone should absolutely get it. It is my 2nd favorite, after COTN/Alexandria. Nile Online is COTN II, so I consider it part of COTN. ;) Hinterland Orc Lords is the new kid on the block & it absolutely rocks too!

HeeEEEY, I should probably consider Alexandria COTN II. Soooo, Nile Online should be COTN III. LOL :D

I also have CCR. It is an interesting game, but no comparison at all to C4 in likability.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Skye

Postby Skye » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:38 pm

I think I will get it, some of the reviews were not so good on Amazon. Still not everyone likes the same things do they.

Return to “General Discussion”