Graduates problem in second tutorial

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
Bertouch

Graduates problem in second tutorial

Postby Bertouch » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:20 am

In the second tutorial, my priest has been assigned for some time to teach in a nearby school. He does this, and has, for over a year. He's had 9 students, and currently has 3--but has never produced a graduate. I don't know what happens to them! Maybe they drop out and join rock bands in Persia. But it's annoying, and I'd like to figure out why. There are no buildings between the priest's house and the school. He goes there in the morning; he leaves in the evening. I watch him teach. I can click on his students. But not one ever shows up in the graduates list. It's frustrating. And it also means I can't move ahead in the tutorial, since I can't send a scribe to the exchange.

Any assistance would be appreciated. :)

EDIT: Nevermind. I discovered that a papyrus mill was necessary to produce graduates. Found it accidentally, by checking out the build menus, and reading. I watched the priest grab a bunch of papyrus, go home, then back to the school, and immediately produce a graduate. While that could be a coincidence, I'm doubtful of it.
Last edited by Bertouch on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:06 am

I don't know if this is different in the tutorials, but in the normal game, you can produce graduates without papyrus. Papyrus is said to make a priests work faster, but it isn't necessary.

Bertouch

Postby Bertouch » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:05 pm

"sakasiru" wrote:I don't know if this is different in the tutorials, but in the normal game, you can produce graduates without papyrus. Papyrus is said to make a priests work faster, but it isn't necessary.

Noticed that in the text, too, but in my second year without graduates I decided it was better to put in the papyrus mill, or give everybody an Internet connection to the Phoenix College of Poor Graduate Degrees. Since our Cheops-level Web server was having flood-related problems, the papyrus mill seemed the most likely avenue of success.

Also had to wait a long time for an overseer in the 3rd tutorial: no available graduates for the position. I ended up assigning a priest specifically to that task, since it was holding up things.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:26 pm

Whenever you start up a new game, it's always better to have a priest devoted solely to teaching. Priests set to doing all tasks will have to juggle chores and thus be less efficient at what they do.

Distance plays a role in the speed in which students become graduates as well. If either the priest or the students live far from the school, they won't be able to start the day's lessons on time so things get delayed a lot more. One other thing is if your students are from Luxuries Shops households; kids from luxuries shops may spend a lot more time collecting raw materials for their family's business than spending time at school. Once Luxuries Shops have a decent amount of bread, more than one child, or a servant to help gather materials, luxury shop kids tend to go to school more. Papyrus certainly does speed up learning. :)

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:08 pm

Howdy, Bertouch!

v1.3.01 has changed the game a bit to where using a permanent dedicated Education Priest is almost a must, even more than with earlier versions. It also changed the game so we don't get as many children that can become students, early in a scenario.

Education Priests & Papyrus has also changed a bit, along with how many hours in the day the Priest actually teaches ~ much less now.

Placing a Papyrusmaker next to the school helps a LOT, even if this means the papyrusmaker is far from the floodplain. I place an Education Center first thing in my games ~ School, bakery, dedicated Education Priest & papyrusmaker ~ all VERY close to each other, like touching, in the Noble city section somewhat near to a complete set of lux shops (lux shops mainly for the nobles/palace).

The COTN Tutorials were not designed very well, sorry. They can lead you a bit astray as to the best gameplay philosophy. It should be Education Priest, Health Priest & Tend Gods Priest, in that order. Three Priests total & minimum & all dedicated. The Education Priest makes the graduates for later Priests.

Good Luck! :)
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:19 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Bertouch

Postby Bertouch » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:09 am

Thanks for the lengthy (and very good!) reply!

Return to “General Discussion”