Can't get the statue over the river

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
Bertouch

Can't get the statue over the river

Postby Bertouch » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:07 am

I've got a site, Iaret, on two sides of a river: my main city in one side, but my basalt mine is on the other. My temple requires a basalt statue, so I sent my overseer and laborers across. They quickly prepared several statues for moving, but here's the kicker: though I've reassigned the overseer since then to constructing the statue and he's at the temple, I'm told when I click on the latter that it requires a barge. Thing is, there are both shipwrights and barge docks on each side of the river. The statues are simply staying where they are.

It appears I need cedarwood. The alternative is to quarry basalt on my side of the river, but it actually appears further away than the site on the other side--and whenever I ask my overseer to quarry it, he goes straight for his reed barque. Suggestions?
Last edited by Bertouch on Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bertouch

Postby Bertouch » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:47 am

I ended up destroying the overseer's building, and reconstructed it a long way off, much closer to the basalt site on this side of the river.

CharleyK1

Postby CharleyK1 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:52 am

Hi Bertouch :)

I'm not familiar with any Iaret scenario, but I can give you some general advice about your situation.

I don't know a way to force an overseer to choose one quarry over another. In fact, I haven't yet played a scenario that had more than one basalt quarry on the map.

In any case, I would indeed suggest trying to get your hands on some cedar. In addition to barges for carrying resources from one side of the river to the other, cedar is needed to build yachts, and your nobles will be happier if they can sail on yachts. Cedar is also used by furniture makers. Nearly every scenario has some site on the world map where you can get cedar for the reasons I mentioned above. If you don't see a site immediately, you may have to explore an area, or open some other city or take some other action that might make the cedar-trading site visible. In the CotN campaign and extra scenarios, Lachish is often the city that supplies cedar, and it's located in the upper right of the World Map, near Asia Minor.

Hope this helps and good luck,
...Charley

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:00 pm

Hi Bertouch!

Overseers will always go to the closest of all possible workplaces. Whether there are several construction sites, or several mines of the same type, or several quarries. Always closest. So if you want to use the quarry on your side of the river, building the overseer closer to this one is the best solution.

If you need more than just a little basalt in your city (because, say, you're planning a big row of temples or want to line your streets with statues), I'd recommend to use the same side quarry anyway, because shipping basalt, as well as other quarry items is a lot of pain. It always takes a while for the workers to cross the river, it can happen that they get lost if you change anything at their destination or get stuck if too many want to cross the river at the same time. You are faster and saver if you just let them travel over land.

If you want the basalt to cross the river anyway, you need cedar for your shipwrights to build barques. You need only one shipwright in your game, since the barques will swim to their destination once build, but you need barques (and thus cedar for them) at any barque landing involved before your workers will ship basalt over the river (so you need one at the receiving landing, too!). Charley already told you how to get cedar, so if you want to try this way of transport, go ahead.

Have fun and happy building! :)

Bertouch

Postby Bertouch » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:42 pm

Problem in this scenario would seem to be that there are no world sites offering cedar wood. So my shipwright pretty much looks pretty, without doing much for heavy travel. I fully understand why there would be locations on both sides of the river for basalt, etc: Iaret is designed to be extremely easy, and you might start up your city on either city of the river divide, so duplication was added. It's just too bad there was no way to "point" your overseer at a given site, instead of his going for the nearest--which in this case, is the farthest. ;)
Last edited by Bertouch on Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:48 pm

Howdy, Bertouch!

Iaret is Daughter Of Isis sandbox scenario & yes there is cedar available on the World Map. Opening sites will reveal new sites. Keep exploring!

Good Luck! :)
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bertouch

Postby Bertouch » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:51 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Howdy, Bertouch!

Iaret is Daughter Of Isis sandbox scenario & yes there is cedar available on the World Map. Keep exploring!

Good Luck! :)

I just checked again, and couldn't find any cedar. Cycled through all available world sites, and didn't see anything. I'll try again, right now.

EDIT: No, nothing is visible offering cedar. I've already visited the "exploration" site that yields basalt and gold. Everything else (towns, merchants, etc) on the map offers a visible quid-pro-quo in which cedar isn't mentioned. Save the raiders' camp, but that's another matter.
Last edited by Bertouch on Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:57 pm

"Bertouch" wrote:Maybe I'm confusing it with Iunet--but I just checked again, and couldn't find any cedar. Cycled through all available world sites, and didn't see anything. I'll try again, right now.

EDIT: No, nothing is visible offering cedar. I've already visited the "exploration" site that yields basalt and gold. Everything else (towns, merchants, etc) on the map offers a visible quid-pro-quo in which cedar isn't mentioned. Save the raiders' camp, but that's another matter.

Can we first verify which scenario you are actually playing? City name is in the lower right corner of your screen. Is it indeed Iaret? I am now on my new computer, so I don't have all my saves, but can check it out in the editor.

Bertouch

Postby Bertouch » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:01 pm

Daughter of Isis, and the name of the city is Iaret.

By the way, thank you for your speedy and courteous response. :)

Bertouch

Postby Bertouch » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:02 pm

I suspect I'm making a beginner's error in confusing the fact that cities in multiple scenarios are the same. So I should have checked for the scenario name, first. My bad. :rolleyes:

So it would appear I have to keep exploring, as in conquering, etc, to find cedar. As it happens, the raiders (I'm told, on the world map) require 100 chariots and spearmen for an attack...so I suspect my connection to cedar is right through there. :D
Last edited by Bertouch on Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:23 pm

Cedar is available from Sai. 30 cedar for 500 food upkeep. Sai is waaay south at the bottom edge of the World Map & has to have other sites opened first to reveal the site.

Yes, I understand that you first get military sites revealed that require chariots & thus cedar first. It is TM being Tricky & Very Evil again. Ignore those military sites until you can find the cedar to make chariots.

In COTN, generally we play mostly on the World Map after getting our city up & running. It is best to open every site, even if you do not need what they provide, just to reveal new sites that you do need. Even merchant peddler sites. ;) You can always open a site just to see what it reveals & immediately close it down.

Scenariomakers can easily be evil. In my scenarios, I will force you to open 5 seemingly useless sites waaay north to reveal a critical site waaay south. We make you work for your cedar & it is always very expensive.

Cedar is usually only revealed later in WM exploration & too many players assume it will only come from the northeast in Lebanon. This is not true.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Bertouch

Postby Bertouch » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:33 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Yes, I understand that you first get military sites revealed that require chariots & thus cedar first. It is TM being Tricky & Very Evil again. Ignore those military sites until you can find the cedar to make chariots.

:D Thanks. That makes matters much clearer. So my key to expansion is really prestige, not warfare--at least, not at this point. Which also means more trade, and a lot more food than my city currently has. Which probably means more than 4 nobles...

Very enjoyable game. And thanks once again for your assistance.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:50 pm

"Bertouch" wrote: :D Thanks. That makes matters much clearer. So my key to expansion is really prestige, not warfare--at least, not at this point. Which also means more trade, and a lot more food than my city currently has. Which probably means more than 4 nobles...

You got it!

COTN ~ FOOD, bricks & Prestige!

Very enjoyable game. And thanks once again for your assistance.

You are very welcome, my friend!

Happy Gaming! :)

Return to “General Discussion”