Families' names changing

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
Sherikiya

Families' names changing

Postby Sherikiya » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:27 pm

I just started playing CotN this past weekend and have been fascinated by the little people. I frequently check in on families to see if they have new children, etc. Have noticed something strange in some families.

Family moves into a farmhouse, I note all their names as soon as possible and write in a notebook with their location. I check in a few seasons later and WHAT? their family name has changed. I click on each family member. Husband's name is still same as original. Wife's personal name is the same as before but surname matches the new family name. Children may have either father or mother's surname but all children will be the same. In one instance the first time I checked back the children had the father's surname but the next time they had mother's surname.

This does not happen in every family, just a few. And most of those are winding up with the same surname.

Other changes I suppose might be attributed to deaths in the families.
Ex: Different names of children on different visits. I might visit five times and children are Ebo and Mbizi. Next five times I visit it is Thutmose and Sabah. Did the first two kids die? In my first scenario I had this happen in royal family. At beginning the princes were Haru, Anzety and Abubakar. Later it was Haru, Thutmose and Kakra. Some time after that I noticed they were unhappy because they couldn't have a funeral and didn't have a tomb.

Related instance was a young man moved into farmer's hut. Soon a young woman moved in. I watched the house a bit waiting for her to go somewhere so I could get her name. Suddenly the young man disappeared from the house view. Girl was in the first spot. A few minutes later man appeared again, BUT HE HAD A DIFFERENT NAME. Both young men were from nearby families. So did the first one die? So was that a glitch? I have had a young woman from one family go to another house to move in where I thought there was already a wife. I check the family and the original wife is still there with no sign of the girl that I just saw walk in the door.

One last name anomaly. I've used the name change option to do away with so many of the duplicates but still using Egyptian names. And I don't allow all names for both genders. So when a family moves into a hut I check my list and change only the adults names if needed. Later when a child moves out I change their name to one appropriate to gender, often before they get moved into their new house. Then on later checks to the original family I may find another child with that same name. Some of my families spawn a LOT of children. Can only see three at a time but when those three move out there are three more. One family has moved out five children and still has three at home.

Anyone have any ideas for what is causing these anomalies? Especially the first one.

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:08 am

Deaths do occur and cause strange happenings at times. However, children will take a job and move out when they get old enough. Max children to a house is 3.

Royal family has deaths constantly and therefore should have tombs built for them (not necessary, but gives you extra prestige).

There is another thread on this, but I can't seem to find it.

Found it!
http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/showthread.php?p=210049

http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/showthread.php?p=229177
Last edited by tomnobles on Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added links to other threads

Sherikiya

Postby Sherikiya » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:35 pm

Tom: Yes, I read Sandra's posts the other day and noted that she had observed some of the same things. But they didn't explain what was supposed to be happening.

Children moving out doesn't change the family name.

I have observed name changes that are reasonably explained by deaths.
Examples: 1. Family name Kherusobek is changed to Udjaihy. Name of husband changed from Beb to Hor. Wife and children's first names remain the same, surname changed. Conclusion, death of husband with remarriage.
2. Family name Bahaten. Wife's first name changes from Mut to Atemi. No other name changes. Conclusion, death of wife with remarriage.

Not understandable: Rekhn'sheni family name changes to Kherukare. Husband is still Hamadi Rekhn'sheni. Wife is still Tabia but last name has changed to Kherukare as have children's surnames. This happens much more often than the first two examples.

On one occasion while still playing in tutorial I saw a young woman enter a shop in which the wife's spot was empty. Wife appeared immediately but with same name as previously. Girl's name disappeared. Did not observe any surname change but perhaps did not check it later.

I can see that it might be that any new person moving into the household changes the household name, whether male or female. But is the game having new spouses take names of old spouses? If in some instances why not in others? Is it a glitch?

I would just like to know what is the reason for something that is not making sense to me. My biggest enjoyment in the game is following the lives of the people and this unexplainable name changing is detracting from my enjoyment.

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:42 pm

Sorry about the delay, but probably a glitch, although I've never watched that close.

Return to “General Discussion”