Is it possible to move workers from one home to another?

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
Sherikiya

Is it possible to move workers from one home to another?

Postby Sherikiya » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:31 am

I've placed some workers too far away from their work location so they are not able to get much done. If I delete their homes and rebuild in a new location, will they move into them? Or will the peasants rebuild village huts and the educated worker leave the nome?

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:23 am

Howdy, Sherikiya!

Wow, this is a tough question w/o going down the possible different buildings & their possible results. You are looking for a general answer & I'm not sure there is one.

If you delete a Educated Worker or Noble, yes he is probably gonna hit the road. Most other buildings will produce villagers or vagrants. Most soliders will disappear & most of the rest will become vagrants.

So, I would say in general, no, you cannot move people from one building to the same building, especially buildings that are made from bricks.

However, the result might be the same as what you originally wanted, new buildings in a new location. They will just be popluated by different people with a few leftover vagrants. Then, with continued building, the vagrants should be absorbed by the new buildings.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:33 am, edited 4 times in total.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:12 pm

If you delete homes, several things can happen.

First of all, educates react differently that peasants. They generally don't react well on being nuked out of their home. If they are extremely happy and there are other free educates homes, they might move. Most of the time, educates will emmigrate, even if there are other homes free for them.

Peasants like farmers will first settle down as villagers or vagrants, depending on their general satisfaction. If there are free houses avaiable, they will soon move in there, first the villagers (instantly), then the vagrants (after a time). If there are other villagers still on the map at the time you nuke the homes, it might well be that they move in the new houses and those who recently lost their house will continue to live as villagers. So you can't be sure you get the same people to move in there as long as they aren't the only ones available.

So to move your people, I'd suggest to first build the new houses and then nuke the old ones. This way, even if you haven't other villagers on the map the new houses will be occupied soon. If you have to move an educate, build the new home first too and keep sure you have a spare educate available before you drop the bomb on the old one. This way you will either get the old one to move directly or if that fails at least have a new one who can take the place instantly.

Sherikiya

Postby Sherikiya » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:23 am

I am playing Nekhen for the first time and made the mistake of trying to quarry a statue from across the river. Realized way too late that I didn't have any way to get it across the river. LOL. Wanted to move the overseer and laborers over to quarry granite for steles. Saved the game and built a new overseer's house and deleted the old one just as the new one finished. His wife and child disappeared and he hit the road. I quit and went back to the save. Put him on vacation as he was highly dissatisfied and sick all the time. Wouldn't go to the hospital or apothecary on his side of the river. Kept going across to the old one. Last time he was poling that boat with a broken arm.

Built the new overseer home again with a new one and they got a stele put up and working on the second. Finally got cedar and a barge built. Went to the first overseer's home to instruct him to get back to work moving that statue to the temple. Found he had died and a new one was already in place ready to work while the wife and child of the first one were at the funeral. Detail on these little people's actions is pretty good. After funeral the child was walking around with head down looking like he was crying and wife headed off to apothecary to get something for depression.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:20 am

"Sherikiya" wrote:I am playing Nekhen for the first time and made the mistake of trying to quarry a statue from across the river. Realized way too late that I didn't have any way to get it across the river. LOL. Wanted to move the overseer and laborers over to quarry granite for steles. Saved the game and built a new overseer's house and deleted the old one just as the new one finished. His wife and child disappeared and he hit the road. I quit and went back to the save. Put him on vacation as he was highly dissatisfied and sick all the time. Wouldn't go to the hospital or apothecary on his side of the river. Kept going across to the old one. Last time he was poling that boat with a broken arm.

Built the new overseer home again with a new one and they got a stele put up and working on the second. Finally got cedar and a barge built. Went to the first overseer's home to instruct him to get back to work moving that statue to the temple. Found he had died and a new one was already in place ready to work while the wife and child of the first one were at the funeral. Detail on these little people's actions is pretty good. After funeral the child was walking around with head down looking like he was crying and wife headed off to apothecary to get something for depression.

Lol! Nice little story :)

Was your hospital on the same river side lit by a priest when the overseeer needed it? Can't imagine another reason why he went that far to the other side :confused:

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:35 pm

"sakasiru" wrote:Lol! Nice little story :)

Indeed. Thankx for sharing, Sherikiya! :)

Was your hospital on the same river side lit by a priest when the overseeer needed it? Can't imagine another reason why he went that far to the other side :confused:

People can appear to ignore a service site/shop/whatever when they really are not. Perhaps Overseer crossed Nile for food/wares/something else & then afterwards was already across Nile when new decision was made to now goto hospital. Hospital also has max capacity of around 12 with one Priest. 5 for apothecary. v1.2 Labs ;)
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Sherikiya

Postby Sherikiya » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:47 pm

He was at his house when he decided to get his broken arm fixed. I thought he was going to nearest hospital. I'm pretty sure it was lit. That priest only has three buildings to see after. Next time I checked the overseer he was on the river, still going to hospital. There are two on that side, one close to the waterfront, the other on the plateau. Both were in operation. I had two priests on that side with nothing to do except tend health as I had had an epidemic of malaria followed by bubonic plague. Overseer chose the furthest hospital to go to. His family icon was yellow from all the problems he'd been having. I guess he got an infection in that arm since he died shortly after.

NobleSeth

Postby NobleSeth » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:28 pm

"Sherikiya" wrote:I've placed some workers too far away from their work location so they are not able to get much done. If I delete their homes and rebuild in a new location, will they move into them? Or will the peasants rebuild village huts and the educated worker leave the nome?

Hello All!: i use to pause the game. build new buildings, and delete the old one. then play the game again, and them use to go to those places, it works the most of the time.

if is a building that use brick, first build and wait to been finished and then pause the game and delete the old buildings

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:21 pm

"NobleSeth" wrote:.if is a building that use brick, first build and wait to been finished and then pause the game and delete the old buildings

The only problem with this is as soon as the brickbuilding is complete the game makes the decision of who goes where & it usually involves villagers first, so the deleted can become vagrants. It can work, but is unpredictable.

With non-brick buildings, on pause to place new & then delete the others works well. Unpause afterwards.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”