Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:07 pm

The city that will never die

LOL

Looks purdy to me!

:D

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:15 pm

Thanks! It's same as this one with a few years and 3,000 people added.

http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/showpost.php?p=266958&postcount=4

Akeldama08

Postby Akeldama08 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:08 am

Nice tom! I've gotten addicted to GAR recently (I'm way behind on games it seems...) and I cannot seem to put it down. After I get my replacement dual monitor I may try to play both at the same time or something.... :eek:

Asterix~

Postby Asterix~ » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:36 am

My lord, how did you ever find the villagers for 1600 farmers?

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:17 pm

I made the scenario. When you run out of villagers, more will immigrate.

I was testing this one: http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23962

This enticed me to make a duplicate one with a larger flood plain. So, you should be able to have more than that.

chazsi

Certainly HUGE

Postby chazsi » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:25 am

:eek: Got any screenshots from high up so's we can see more of the layout?? :)

Impressive City!

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:32 pm

I'm on a trip right now but when I get back I'll see what I can do.

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:35 pm

"chazsi" wrote: :eek: Got any screenshots from high up so's we can see more of the layout?? :)

Impressive City!
Thanks!

First screenie is six dedicated temples for different deities followed by four of the noble area. It took six to get the entire farm community and two to get the large mastaba area and only one is posted (Valley of the Nobles [pun]). I started at the palace and built them (noble houses) in two x two or two x three blocks.

The last three are starting, ten years later and a "Large Mastaba" with two nobles. I'll work on making an album and post a link when I finish.

Totally forgot this - you can always download a save of same city here
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tomnobles on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added game save link.

Ashkir

Postby Ashkir » Wed May 12, 2010 4:49 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Luke159

Postby Luke159 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:35 am

Damn those are great screenshots, i have recently started playing COTN again and for the first time ever i'm taking it very slow. After 2 pharoh's have died at the age of 29. To be fair the second pharoh was 27 when he took over and 2 years later the next in line was aged 17. From the start i build max farms (6) i then built after the first crops was harvested 1 of each common shop near the farms. I built 1 brickyard and 2 brick layer's followed by a bakery near the flood plains but behind the farms and common shops. To the far west i built 3 tumbs 1 for each of the pharoh's. i built a granery very early on and buily the palace granery upgrade aswell.

During the second pharoh's time i built 1 nobal home and added a further 4 farms, built 1 of each lux shops near the nobal home and added a school and priests home. 1 more barkery was added as was another brick maker and 2 slaves homes. Obviously his tomb was built asap for him as was another tomb ready for the third pharoh just in case he was old when he took over and the last building to be built was the papyrus mill. Now with a possible long period before a new pharoh will take over i can start to improve the palace more and get some people counting the farms but fore most get a healthcare and relgion buildings up and running.

I will upload some screenshots when i get time to play again, this is a slow build for me, i normally get most things up and running as early as i can. I wanted to be able to relax and have a play with things to see how the slow gameplay style works out. I know in 4 game years i have done somethings earlier than i could since no one was unhappy with things apart from when the first pharoh died they wanted to visit a temple but that past and no one has moaned about any religion since.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:15 pm

Screenies!

:)

Luke159

Postby Luke159 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:16 am

I have progressed a lot since the previous post and have had many more pharoh's die only one pharoh has lived past 30 he made it to 33 and died the day after his birthday lol.

Here are some screenshots.
The first is a shot of the burial grounds for everyone including pharoh's.
The second shot is of the town its self, i built a shrine for each of the gods with two priests atending to them. A hospital and pharmacy.
The final shot is of my overseer and some labours mining the gold and emeralds.

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:17 pm

Well, there is something wrong there. I tried a few of your links but none of the images appear on the ImageShack page. It just shows the usual red "X" for a missing image.

BTW, the board accepts images as attachments, so you don't need to use ImageShack here.

Rileses I

Postby Rileses I » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:20 pm

"Keith" wrote:Well, there is something wrong there. I tried a few of your links but none of the images appear on the ImageShack page. It just shows the usual red "X" for a missing image.

BTW, the board accepts images as attachments, so you don't need to use ImageShack here.

Damn! wonder what went wrong there then?
I will try to upload each image independantly again then using the built in 'upload image' button?
NOTE: when I click on the links I am able to view the images linked to my imageshack account,wonder why you cant? :(
Thanks for the notice by the way.
Last edited by Rileses I on Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:31 pm

You can upload as many images to a single message as you want but 5 at a time.

Just look for the Manage attachment button below the message typing area. Browse for your first five images, one on each line, the click the UPLOAD button on the manage attachment window. Then you can upload 5 more, etc.

When you have them all uploaded, SUBMIT REPLY and the message and images will be attached to each other and uploaded to the board.

Rileses I

Postby Rileses I » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:40 pm

Right,think I got it sorted finally,so,here we go.
Here are some shots I have had stored on a hard drive for a LONG time just begging to find their way here!

Asyut:
Image 1 - view from the rear of the city
2- view of 5th generation pyramids
3- Rileses I being interred,Anubis looks on silently guarding the tomb
4- view of a large commemoration site,commemorating major trading deals with foreign cities.These obelisks were each included with statues of Horus and Thoth,in whose guidance and wisdom the deals were able to be made
5- view of the main royal necropolis,royal district,temple complex and 5th generation pyramids
6- another view of the memorial site and the pyramid can just be seen in the background
7- another overhead view of the main city and obelisks.Work was being carried out on two new obelisks,one in Ra's name and the other commemorating a meteor sighting which crashed out in the desert,surely a sign that Ra was impressed by my city :rolleyes:
8- obelisks again
9- another rear view of the city
10- overhead view of the temple complex
11- view from the entrance to the cult temple of Anubis.Notice the nice Hypostyle wall I had included flanking the walkway
12- view from the SE corner of the city,with the main brickworks to the south
13- the main farming sector looking from the south
14- Anubis guards the city at night
15- 5th gen pyramid at night
16- another night shot of the pyramid
17- view from across the water towards the pyramid
18- view from far across the sea,a fantastic shot capturing the suns rays perfectly on the obelisks.I chose this site for the obelisks to allow all visitors to the city to be dazzled as they arrived across the sea by boat
19- another view of the obelisks and pyramid from the harbour area

And there we have Asyut,next time I will include Henen Nesu,Khmun (my favourite,and you shall soon see why!),and Waset.
Thanks for viewing :D
Last edited by Rileses I on Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Rileses I

Postby Rileses I » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:11 pm

Henen Nesu:

1- view from the south of the main city including the large farming sector
2- view looking up a road next to a memorial square
3- looking across from the royal necropolis across the water
4- from the west of the main city,work began on a large workers cemetary (major boost to prestige if you ever find yourself needing a quick reliable source of it)
5- looking towards the main temple complex,in Amun's name it was built
6- towards the rear of the city.I even built a memorial site and small pyramid to one of the city's explorers who was sent on an arduous and dangerous mission to the southern lands to find a mythical land of gold.I forget his name but he deserved such recognition.The remains of an old fort can be seen just in front of the pyramid.The fort was disbanded after all hostile forces in the area were defeated.These soldiers were quickly put back to work though,on the farms hehe
7- facing the explorer's private tomb.Even a small carving of the explorer was built for him
8- view of the city's main memorial square.I believe this had a military background to it and so the square was decorated with statues of Anubis to guard the fallen
9- looking up a road next to the memorial square,again
10- a view of the palace front from an adjacent road
11- another view from across the river,nothing too special I know
12- the basalt quarry developed into a sustainable small community in its own right.Amun inspires my workers to ever greater endeavours
13- view from the farming sector again,the smell of...well,farms was quite strong in this area
14- overhead view of the magnificent temple complex.Amun stands proudly at our building achievements.A second farming community was opened up to the north of this shot in order to bolster dwindling wheat supplies

Coming next - the big one! KHMUN! and you shall see why :eek: :D
Last edited by Rileses I on Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rileses I

Postby Rileses I » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:47 pm

Right folks,the big one,my all time favourite! I present to you in Thoth's eternal wisdom,Khmun.

1- view from near the farms,a huge cult temple was built high on a mountain looking over the city.Thoth on his lofty perch will have the perfect vantage point to guide his followers below
2- obelisks were ordered to be built just in front of the cult temple on a narrow ridge below.Here the labourers brace themselves for a crippling climb
3- work began quarrying limestone here,ready for the pyramids of the 4th generation pharaohs and beyond to be laid to rest
4- the obelisk site complete,the labourers begin work building the city's first small pyramid
5- the pyramid begins to take shape
6- the capstone in place all that is left is for the stone carver/s to arrive
7- the cult temple statue in place Thoth now exerts his influence on the city below
8- the stone carver gets to work
9- an early shot of the first obelisk being delivered to the city's storage area
10- a crippling climb by my dedicated workers the obelisk being hauled into place on the mountain top
11- work carried on into the night,they just know how magnificent the city will look when the work is complete,and this spurs them on endlessley
12- watching the stone carver get to work on an obelisk
13- looking from the quarry site the first pyramids can be seen
14- view from the harbour,the visitors to the city are stunned by what they can see on that mountain in the distance
15- sunset creates a breathtaking effect on the mountain ahead
16- another view at sunset
17- looking from the royal necroplois towards the mountain top
18- overhead view of the cult temple and late generation burial grounds.Those seeking higher learning and enlightenment make pilgrimages to this magical spot within the obelisks and allow Thoth's energy to flow over them
19- looking from the mountain top over the city below
20- looking from the workers cemetary towards the I,II,III,IV,V generation necropolis
21- looking up at the entrance to the necropolis at dusk,the great pharaohs that made this incredible city continue to look over their city
22- inside the necropolis the elders lie.Ra insures that his power continues to shine over them as the sun rises each morning
23- view from the SW of the city
24- view standing inside the temple complex
25- This was once the site of a huge papyrus industry in Thoth's name.All deals were finally made with the world sites and the papyrus mills ripped down to make way for extra brickworks
26- view of the farming sector.Due to the irregular lay of the land the farms were bult at an angle to follow the natural shape of the land,usually the farms are able to be built parallel to the coastline.This is not a problem as I like irregularities in my cities,it adds to the character of the city in the end.I dont like symetrical layouts,personally
27- a view of the quarry site,with the main support buildings up on the hill
28- the necropolis at night
29- Osiris looks over the dead at night
30- another view from inside the necropolis at night
31- view towards the mountain top at night
32- the future generations now secure
33- a view from behind the pyramids
34- the magnificent obelisks up close
35- yet another view towards the mountain top :rolleyes:
36- overhead shot towards the obelisks site

Hope you enjoyed them,I sure as hell enjoyed building that city.Next time I will include Waset,one of my earlier cities before I became more refined/experienced in my designs
Last edited by Rileses I on Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:02 pm

Beautiful shots!

I really like your wide open city layouts! :)
:cool:

Rileses I

Postby Rileses I » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:10 pm

"PantherX" wrote:Beautiful shots!

I really like your wide open city layouts! :)

Yes,I always study the landscape first and build my cities according to the general layout of the land,really makes for some realistic cities with lots of character.I find if you keep to a rigid plan all the time it takes some of the enjoyment out of the game,just my take on it.I always keep to a theme too if possible,dependant on the local deity for example,so a city dedicated to Thoth would have many schools and papyrus mills and they would probably feature some extensive decoration,via statues etc.I even thought about actually having the schools built into the thoth temple grounds themselves.
In Khmun I had 4 functioning schools in the city and a papyrus reserve of about 300 hehe,a little overkill perhaps but there is nothing worse than a graduate shortage!
Many thanks for your compliment :D
Last edited by Rileses I on Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “General Discussion”