Children of the... Tiber?

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
JollySam

Children of the... Tiber?

Postby JollySam » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:47 am

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a Roman-themed Children of the Nile-style game. (Would that be a 'city builder' game?)

Unfortunately, there seem to be dozens of them, and I have no idea which ones are good or bad.

Any suggestions as to which one/s I should consider? A recently-released one would be good, since I'm pretty sure my computer can handle it.

Thanks alot,
JollySam

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:33 am

I played Civ City: Rome a while ago and I liked it. It's more free that the other city builders; it still works with radiuses for supply of wares and services, but they are big enough for you to develop a building style, and you can even move the buildings around. It's a littly too easy for a challenge, but it's fine if you just want to build.

I also played Caesar IV for a while, which I didn't like, mainly because it's not like CotN - curse the expectations...

And then I played glory of the Roman Empire, which is awful. I played the whole campaign, because I liked the graphics and hoped it was my fault that I couldn't get my cities to work, but it's really very hard to make a balanced city and just play.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:24 pm

I agree with Saka in erms of those are the last 3 games released with a Roman feel. I however did not like Civ City Rome i thought the radisus were too small most the time.
Caesar IV rocks and is a ton of fun to play.
Glory of the Roman Empire was very pretty, but not so fun to play..

good luck :cool:
:cool:

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:09 pm

Howdy, JollySam!

Children of the Tiber ~ LOL ~ Where-o-where have I heard this before? :D

Actually, it would be Children of ROME !!! since Rome was not dependent on a river as Egypt was.

The closest you can get is Caesar IV, an excellent TM game.

I rate Glory of the Roman Empire higher than CivCity: Rome myself.

Good Luck! :)

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:34 pm

You can change the housing radius by changing the games difficulty level in CivCity: Rome. Of course you can always mod the housing radius. :)

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:56 pm

True, but there is no challenge if you make the game too easy. I always played it on "hard". The problem with Civ City Rome was that it just didn't have the re-playability for me that Caeesar IV seems to have.

I played through CCR several times and soon lost interest in it once I had it all figured out and new what to plan for and where to build things.

The other Roman city builder "The Glory of Roman Empire" was designed as a "fun builder", according to the developers, the problem was that it didn't have much challenge to it at all and, for me, it wasn't all that much fun either.

Imperium Romanum doesn't seem to get good reviews and it's basically just a fixed up GORE.

The Grand Ages of Rome is just a fixed up version of Imperium Romanum, but doesn't look to be that much different according to the comments I've read on it from people that have it.

My ideal game would have the city building of Caesar IV/CotN combined with the military features of Rome: Total War. I want big building projects. I want to construct the Colosseum, the Circus Maximus, even construct the Appian Way, aquaducts, a triumphal arch, etc. block by block not just have it done on a "click-and-place" basis, as in Caesar IV. I want a big military, with full combat and tactical control as in RTW. And a strategic map, as in RTW or even Caesar II. I want to see my legions parade down the Via Sacra in Triumph after they win a victory.

Basically I want it all.... ;)

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:12 am

Thanks Keith reminds me of the perfect game.... Maybe it was a dream ;)

City Builder with massive projects that take years to complete.
Re-designable buildings similar to decorating in The Sims
Full mod-ability and online item warehouse with check mark options to install/de-install mods.
In a roman theme you could play 1st or 3rd person as a gladiator, or actually race a chariot. With rewards for good results. (arcade style games built in)
When you go to war PvP/PvE you have massive user controlled battles (rts? I never try these games) with real rewards and penalties.

Darn I got a business call and the thought process was averted.. there was more I wanted to say...

Basically I want to have all my favorites together that all revolve around my city. I would want my city to be persistent, rather than build a new city for every scenario, keep my city and have goals.
:cool:

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:37 am

Maybe it's about time the Mayans come up with a prophecy about the coming of a Mayan city builder. :D

There are so many Rome-themed city builders out there. About time the Mayans get their time in the sun. ;)

If you're looking for a Rome-themed game, Caesar IV is pretty decent, even if it doesn't feel totally complete. It hearkens back to the original City-builder series, but manages to include new innovations that make it far less awkward than its predecessor Caesar III.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:03 am

If you didn't know by now, Keith kinda likes Rome.

:D

Return to “General Discussion”