No game stores carry this? Why?

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
Ashkir
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:48 am

No game stores carry this? Why?

Postby Ashkir » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:50 am

Why don't any game stores carry this? I cannot find it at Toys R Us, Best Buy, Walmart, KMart, Target, Gamestop, Gamecity, GameStudio. All it says is no longer in production.

Why for such a young a game?

I never knew it existed, and tried the demo and want it.

I hate digital downloads, as well, if I get a new pc, or something I lose it. And I play on more then one PC. =/.

I don't really want to buy a used copy. =/.

sakasiru
Posts: 1968
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:26 am
Location: Germany

Postby sakasiru » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:52 am

Hi Ashkir, welcome to the forum!

CotN is a game today owned by a rather small company. The rights to it recently changed hands back to the developers, and they decided to spread their games through online publishers from now on so they get at least a decent part of the market price for themselves. The copies still out there are some years old, so it is not very likely that you will find an unused copy of the original disk now. Certainly not in shops who clean out their shelves regularly for the newest games.

I'd recomment to try the steam download. I hesitated at first, too. Having my games online is not what I prefer, but the game certainly is worth the hassle. In addition to that, the expansion "Alexandria" is only available online and was never published as a hard copy.

I hope you find a way to get the game and enjoy it! :)

Keith
Posts: 9976
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 4:00 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Postby Keith » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:52 pm

Children of the Nile is 5 years old so it's not likely to be in great supply in any store by this time. There may still be some copies in bargain bins in some stores but you'll really have to hunt for it.

I found listings for CotN on amazon.com. They have listings for copies from the original publisher, Myelin, and also from publishers Sold Out Software and Sega of America.

Tinkerbell
Posts: 5415
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:42 am
Location: San Diego, California
Contact:

Postby Tinkerbell » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:38 pm

Howdy, Ashkir!

Yep, as Keith posted, COTN disk is available from Amazon.

The disk was made by publisher Myelin Media who no longer made them even before TM bought the rights back from them.

"sakasiru" wrote:...and they decided to spread their games through online publishers from now on so they get at least a decent part of the market price for themselves.


Sorry, sakasiru, but this is simply not true.

TM uses a disk publisher, Got Game Entertainment, for their most recent release ~ Hinterland Orc Lords.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

sakasiru
Posts: 1968
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:26 am
Location: Germany

Postby sakasiru » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:50 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Sorry, sakasiru, but this is simply not true.

TM uses a disk publisher, Got Game Entertainment, for their most recent release ~ Hinterland Orc Lords.


You're right. But they made neither Mosby's nor Alexandria on disk, and I doubt they ever will.

Tinkerbell
Posts: 5415
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:42 am
Location: San Diego, California
Contact:

Postby Tinkerbell » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:51 pm

"sakasiru" wrote:You're right. But they made neither Mosby's nor Alexandria on disk, and I doubt they ever will.


Never say never. ;)

elitemarksman
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:21 am

Postby elitemarksman » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:27 am

"Ashkir" wrote:Why don't any game stores carry this? I cannot find it at Toys R Us, Best Buy, Walmart, KMart, Target, Gamestop, Gamecity, GameStudio. All it says is no longer in production.

Why for such a young a game?

I never knew it existed, and tried the demo and want it.

I hate digital downloads, as well, if I get a new pc, or something I lose it. And I play on more then one PC. =/.

I don't really want to buy a used copy. =/.


I was hesitant to try digital downloads too, but then I found Impulse.

Impulse (stardock, developers of Sins of a Solar Empire) stores what games you buy from them on their servers, so if you get a new computer you can just download the game again with your Impulse account.

I think you can also play the games on more than one computer, since they are tied to your account. Unless, of course, the games EULA restricts installs or other such nonsense (damn you EA).

They also have some pretty good deals every once in awhile, I got CoTN and Alexandria for $12.99 on one of their "weekend impulse buys" I think Alexandria is a special this week for $2.99.

Also sent me a survey, which, upon completion, gets you 10% off a purchase on Impulse.

Tinkerbell
Posts: 5415
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:42 am
Location: San Diego, California
Contact:

Postby Tinkerbell » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:10 pm

"elitemarksman" wrote:Impulse (stardock, developers of Sins of a Solar Empire) stores what games you buy from them on their servers, so if you get a new computer you can just download the game again with your Impulse account.


As does Steam. When I got my new Vista Gaming SuperComputer, all I had to do was log in & all my TM games were waiting there to redownload & play.

Ashkir
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:48 am

Postby Ashkir » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:14 am

I won't be using Impulse or Steam. =/. I have used them in the past and was very unhappy with them. They're some of the worst digital download hubs =/.

I guess this is a game I won't try. Oh well.

Thanks though.

sakasiru
Posts: 1968
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:26 am
Location: Germany

Postby sakasiru » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:55 pm

Sorry to hear that. You're really missing something.

No luck on ebay or Amazon either?

thechris
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:52 pm
Location: on your screen

Postby thechris » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:30 pm

i dont know what your talking about, my bookfair had atlest 20 brandnew Cotn disks and this was a bookfair that only had 12 video games all but Cotn coming out within a few months
so i guess i was just lucky!

Ashkir
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:48 am

Postby Ashkir » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:59 pm

"sakasiru" wrote:Sorry to hear that. You're really missing something.

No luck on ebay or Amazon either?


My step mom buys me any game I want as long as it is in a local store. No ordering online is her policy. :)

elitemarksman
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:21 am

Postby elitemarksman » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:54 am

"Ashkir" wrote:I won't be using Impulse or Steam. =/. I have used them in the past and was very unhappy with them. They're some of the worst digital download hubs =/.

I guess this is a game I won't try. Oh well.

Thanks though.


Just curious, what problems did you have?

Ashkir
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:48 am

Postby Ashkir » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:09 am

"elitemarksman" wrote:Just curious, what problems did you have?


First one, I got signed up for a premium service I never signed up for. So they were charging my card with the price. Called to cancel like four times and ended up telling the credit card company to block them.

I got charged three times for one game. They said they "mailed" a refund check. Never got it.

Also, Steam seems to have a history of adware now. =/. I doubt I'm going back.

tobing
Posts: 950
Joined: Mon May 10, 2004 4:00 pm
Location: Bruchsal/Germany
Contact:

Postby tobing » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:55 am

This morning I saw that Children of the Nile is 36% off on Impulse for a few days.

If you don't like Steam because of it being too intrisuve, Impulse may be a viable option.

PantherX
Posts: 1113
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:00 am
Location: The Beautiful Monterey Bay California

Postby PantherX » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:39 pm

One thing I see about Impulse is that they do have a method for installing a game on an "offline" machine. I like this feature it shows a commitment to the customer that they will be able to enjoy their games in the future.

So with proper planning and archiving you should still be able to install and play your "paid for" games in the future while "offline" or if Impulse closes or stops supporting a particular game.

I still have my doubts and reservations but, I just bought the COTN/Alexandria package. :D

I hope TM still gets their normal profits from the sale :)

Off to go install Impulse....
:cool:
:cool:


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest