Very choppy/slow on new computer

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
roboczar

Very choppy/slow on new computer

Postby roboczar » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:11 pm

I bought Nile Enhanced a while ago, and used to play it with no issues on my old computer, which was getting long in the teeth. Smooth scrolling, good framerates, all that.

I just got a brand new computer, hot off the presses, and installed CotN for some nostalgia and be wowed at the speed of the new rig.

However, the game, while time is running, is extremely choppy. I have 3 more cores working on calculations, and a video card two generations newer than my old one, more RAM... and I get worse performance? The real kicker is that if I go to the menu screen (which pauses the clock) or if I pause the clock only, it is very fast, smooth, scrolls well and the camera moves with no choppiness.

Note that this is on a blank map, the first map of the Alexandria expansion. Is this a Vista issue? My other computer had XP... maybe that's it? It can't be the hardware, since it's all new and at least 2 generations newer than my old rig.

Any ideas?

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:41 am

Howdy, roboczar!

Definitely not a Vista issue, cuz I have Vista. However, your computer might not be strong enough to run Vista properly.

The game is always better on pause, but the choppyness sounds like CPU/RAM/Graphics card issues. Please keep in mind that I am not a Tech Team member in any way.

Wanna upload a dxdiag in the Tech Section?

roboczar

Postby roboczar » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:59 am

Thanks for checking in, but I doubt it's a processor power issue. After all, my old machine was a single core with a 4 year old video card, and CotN ran very well, even unpaused. This new machine is a quad core with a new video card and chops when unpaused. I have a feeling it's software related and I am tweaking various settings with no success.

Even at 800x600 with "best performance" selected in the options, it's awful. My old crappy rig ran on best quality at 1280x1024 without a hitch.

I was just checking to see if anyone else has had the same problem and knows of a setting to change or tweak. It may also be a threading issue because CotN was released before multi-core machines were in wide use. I'll look into it by restricting to a single core.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:21 am

My Vista SuperComputer is an Intel Core2 Quad.

Try uploading your dxdiag for the Pros to take a look at.

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:39 pm

roboczar,

I have an Intel dual core CPU, 2.20Ghz and 3GB RAM. (actually it's 4gb RAM but XP can only count to 4)
A NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT Video Card (1gb video memory)

This is as generic as you can get (I built it). I usually run at 1024 x 768 and High Graphics.

Anyway, I have no problems with scrolling or otherwise choppiness until I get to high population (above 1,000).

Maybe you should upload a copy of dxdiag and post this on the Technical Support forum.

roboczar

Postby roboczar » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:38 am

Hey guys, I figured it out. I hadn't rebooted the computer in a couple of weeks and it looks like there were some old orphan processes hanging around that were messing with my performance. I basically cleared the process list of suspicious stuff and it now runs just fine. Thanks!

Return to “General Discussion”