Pharaoh has crossed over...into the record books?

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
eddiedoherty

Pharaoh has crossed over...into the record books?

Postby eddiedoherty » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:23 am

Crikey, apparently my last visit here was almost 2 years ago! Admittedly, I took a break from COTN for a while, but I didn't think it was THAT long. Any way, having recently seen an ad for Alexandria, I downloaded it and have now completed it and am right back into this game, and am currently working my way back through all the scenarios, having already re-done the grand campaign.

So.. having just started a new scenario and followed my usual set-up routine, where I pause the game whilst scanning the map to find the best place to start by placing my palace, then lay out a few plazas and roads, bricklayers and farms, then some shops, I then clicked to unpause the game and cranked up the speed to 2.5x. I watched as my palace was being built up and noticed a couple of farmers huts spring up. As soon as the palace was complete, I decided to watch my brand new Pharaoh take a look around his new domain.

Now, I have seen a couple of posts on here about how old a Pharaoh has lived to, but this is taking the mickey! My Pharaoh had literally just stuck his head out of the front gates of the palace when I was informed that he had snuffed it! Even with the game speeded up, this can only have been 2 seconds after he first appeared. Apparently he fell from the Royal barge and was killed by a crocodile? He hadn't even got fully out of the palace onto the plaza, let alone gone near any water. Of course, I then had the indignity of being told that he had no tomb (or mortuary for that matter) as there were no brickies yet available.

Has anyone had any similar experiences, or is this the fastest pharaoh death on record? At least my prestige was not affected, despite the warning that it wouldn't soon recover, as I had no prestige!

CharleyK1

Postby CharleyK1 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:13 pm

Hi Eddie,

Like you, I put CotN aside for a while and came back to it recently. Unlike you, I haven't yet bought the Alexandria expansion. I'm playing at the 1.3.0.1 level and in both my original play sessions and now in my second time around, I've never experienced a death of my Pharaoh anywhere near that early! As far as I am concerned, you do indeed hold the record!

Happy gaming,
...Charley

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:28 pm

Howdy, eddiedoherty!

I have had an instant Pharaoh death & even three deaths in a row ~ each one year apart (but not at the start of the game). I have also had a 6 year old Pharaoh die.

Yep, no prestige, no No Tomb for Pharaoh nor regular death hit. Whew! :cool:

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:43 pm

Aren't random number generators great? Next time you play that scenario your pharaoh may last 30 years.

The Pharaoh's death can be controlled by the designer also.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:51 pm

Are the deaths pre-determined?

i.e. if your pharaoh dies and say it is a bad time, if you load from an autosave or the last save will the pharaoh still die?

I may test this for fun ;)
:cool:

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:07 pm

Pharaoh will still die.

...besides, dat's cheating...

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:43 am

Pharaoh's death is random. While it is possible to figure the next pharaohs death before the first dies, I would guess that they are figured as they happen.

However, I could be wrong. Take it to your lab and see! :)

Ashkir

Postby Ashkir » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:14 pm

haha XD. Earlier this evening my pharaoh died at the ripe ol' age of 46. His son came to the thrown at age like 25 or something and got dead by eating a poisonous pomegranate. XDD

Seti III

Postby Seti III » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:18 pm

I once had a pharaoh live to the age of 80 something, :eek: thought it was the best luck I could have, it gave me a lot more time for the guys tomb.....(I think I built three, each bigger and more grand than the last. Then I realized that there was a draw back, since when that pharaoh died his successor who was by that time 30ish and he died after a single year (Thank God for extra tombs) his successor came to the throne at his late 20's and quickly died as well.

Moral of the story, when you receive messages that your successors are wishing you a long life, and your age goes past 50 be prepared for some early deaths.

That is unless you have the luck of having two long lived pharaohs. :p
Last edited by Seti III on Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:31 pm

Another thing about that is that when you have a Pharaoh that lives a really long time, it gives you a chance to build up a lot of prestige. As a result, your prestige hit is severe when the Pharaoh dies, and if another dies in quick succession it can destroy the now established city.

Obviously, as prestige declines, number of educated workers comes with it, and things can come a bit unglued.

That said, just wait a while. Generally there are a ton of graduates available by this time, so once the prestige decay goes away, the slots open up and people move right back into those jobs.

Jokubas

Postby Jokubas » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:50 am

I can't say I have any kind of record, but I do seem to have a pattern.

First pharaoh lives quite awhile.
Second pharaoh dies shortly after he takes the throne.
Third pharaoh survives until the end of the scenario.

One time, it was a runaway cart that took out the second pharaoh. Another time I think it was malaria.

ptolomay

Postby ptolomay » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:35 pm

I once had a pharoh wich lived till 60! The first in that game to. It enabled me to build a mediun piramid and a nice garden around it before he died :D

of course, the next one was already 44 years old, so no nice pyramid for you :confused:

Return to “General Discussion”