questions...

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
victortiti89

questions...

Postby victortiti89 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:45 am

I just got CotN game a few days ago,and I played tutorial missions so far.Before,I also played Pharaoh and there is really a huge difference between the two games,even if they both set their action in ancient Egypt.So,even if I read from the game manual,and ingame help pannel,I still cannot say I fully understand the concepts of it..so..here are a few questions about the gameplay:
1)how comes you dont have a certain amount of money which you have to spend building your city?Does it mean that you can build without limitations, without worrying about money?
2)what food types can you use to sustain your population except agriculture,for instance,if you build far away from the Nile?
3)about the gods :-D o they play an active role in the game,or they are simply reasons for building temples?What can they do to you if you refuse or forget to build them temples and shrines?
4)about the editor:-I made a test scenario with a blank area of sand and a river in the middle.Even though I built homes,nobody came to live there.Does it mean that I have to design homes during editing a scenario?And then the game would ask the player to rule a pre-existing community and to develop it?

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:08 am

Hi, and welcome to the CotN community!

Some things in CotN are a bit difficult to understand, because the game is different from other citybuilders. However, I'm here to help with your questions:

1.) The currency in CotN is food. When the harvest comes in, it gets divided between the farmers, their patrons (nobles) and you, the Pharaoh. The food that belongs to you is displayed together with your bricks total in the left of your overview (right next to your minimap).
Some things cost bread, some don't. Building a home of a private person (farmers, shopkeepers, entertainers) doesn't cost you anything and it also will cost you nothing thereafter. Building a house of a gouvernment worker (like a baker, a weaponsmith, a brickmaker, a priest) may cost you bricks to build. AND you will have to pay the worker that moves into it from there on! A brickmaker will regularly walk to a bakery and collect his payment, which gets substracted from your food total. So, while building is free, you should keep an eye whether you are able to feed all the workers you are hiring with it. If you run out of food and can't pay them anymore, they will soon stand in front of your palace waving signs instead of working.

2.) There are only three food types you can organize, wheat, barley and vegetables (which consists of onions and salat, but is used as "vegetables" only after the harvest). These are the only food sources you can influence.
However, if you somehow fail to produce enough, your people will not starve. If they run out of food, lowly workers like farmers may spend some time fishing, hunting for birds or searching for grapes, dates or pomegranates which they will find on the map - instead of working. Since farmers should not only produce for themselves, this is not what you should aim for!
Other starving CotNizens of the upper classes may move out of your city (leave the map) or at least will leave their houses and start a life as independant villagers, or even vagrants who will rob the other inhabitants of your city. They will also use the same food sources as starving farmers.
So, while your CotNizens can live well without the "official" three food types, it's best for your city to provide enough of them so that noone feels the need to spend their time searching for others.

3.) The gods don't influence your game world. However, CotNizens want to worship them and get very unhappy if they can't do it properly. So while Osiris might shrug his wrapped shoulders when you don't build him shrines, you might find your workers again protesting in front of your palace instead of doing what you pay them for.
Note that most of the time, shrines will do. They are cheaper to build than temples, don't use up that much space and don't need a statue. All you have to care for is that there are enough priests running around who keep them active.

4.) if you want people on your map, you have to place them. Either by ready build homes, or (like in most scenarios) by placing villager huts. Only nobles and your royal family will come frome outside the map (your family comes out of nowhere once the palace is built). All others need to be there on the map at the start of the game or be born to some of those already there. If you build too fast, you can easily run out of villagers to inhabit your homes, so keep an eye on the numbers! You will find the number of your free villagers in the right collumn of your worker overview. If you run out of villagers and end up with too much empty homes, you'll have to delete some houses to move the existing people to the most needed homes until your population has grown large enough.
Btw., if you are playing with the editor, don't forget to place important sprites like reeds, clay, and paint some floodplain (which is a terrain colour). If you really want to make a working map to play on, come visiting the editing forum and read the tutorials there. We will also gladly help you with your questions.

I hope my answers help you so far and I explained it all well enough. If you have further questions, feel free to ask!
Last edited by sakasiru on Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:13 pm

In Pharaoh there were bazaar ladies that would deliver food and goods to houses they passed on the streets. In CotN, the people go to a market to barter for goods that they need using some of the grain that they also use as food for their household.

In Pharaoh, people would use roads almost exclusively to move from point to point. In CotN roads are not necessary and are more for decoration. People will move about the map freely from point to point. They will even cross rivers without the need for barges and bridges. Barges are used for moving goods from one side of a river to another.

In Pharaoh, all services relied on them providing a walker that would pass by the local residences in the city. In CotN the people themselves will travel to get the services that they need from a hospital, mortuary, common or luxury shops.

The nobles in CotN own the land and farmers basically work for the Noble. Pharaoh takes a cut of the harvest and to avoid having pharaoh getting cheated there should be at least one scribe set to collect taxes. That scribe will go out and count the fields being worked. Having at least two or three scribes collecting taxes and counting fields makes sure that all the fields get counted. The level your nobel townhouse has evolved to will also influence the number of fields/farmers that a nobel can control.

All citizens in CotN have satisfaction icons in the family information panels that appear when you click on a household. These reflect the overall status of their current satisfaction level. If the icon is red, it means they have been disatisfied at some point in the recent past, but doesn't mean that they are currently unhappy. If they are complaining about no food or goods and the icon is red, it means that at some point recently they were unable to obtain that item. The same idea applies towards the other icons in the information panel.

Nobles will require extra services that farmers won't. They will require access to servants, a law court, entertainers, a gardener, and having access to a burial tomb like a mastaba, and luxury goods, etc.

Farmers get their food from the common threshing ground that appears after the yearly harvest.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:36 pm

"victortiti89" wrote:2)what food types can you use to sustain your population except agriculture,for instance,if you build far away from the Nile?

Hi victortiti89, and welcome! :)

I wanted to answer this specific question, in addition to the great information given by sakasiru and Keith.

You can provide no food other than that grown on the floodplain, so it is wise to build right next to it.

However, with the latest patch (I think 1.3 made this change), it's easier to have a separated city, e.g. farmers at the floodplain and the rest of the city inland.

So you could do that if you wanted. The key things to consider are:

Farmers should be as close as possible to the floodplain.
  • Note that workers take time to travel from home to their workplace if it's not the same building (like farmers).
  • Farmers leave their houses circa 6:00AM on the planting day/season (Peret).
  • Once they get to the floodplain, they start planting and tending crops.
  • About 10:00PM or midnight, they stop work and go home.
  • At 6:00AM on harvest season (Shemu), they leave their houses to go back to the floodplain.
  • They gather the food from their fields, take it to the threshing area, and deposit it.
  • During the flood season (Achet), they tend to their needs or stay home.
This all assumes an ideal scenario. First, if it takes half a day to get to the floodplain, they don't work very long, and the farm yield isn't as high.

Second, if it's far away, they don't get to the floodplain until late and therefore cannot harvest all the food. This also decreases yield.

But third is the really important point. If they go to do anything else during either of these two days, their farming does not get done and yield can go to zero (although that's not likely because their children should still go there).

This means that if they go to the hospital instead of planting, zero food that season.

But even more, if the hospital is way across the map, and they go there during Achet, they might not get back home until 5:00PM on Peret, at which point they would leave to go farming and maybe not get there to plant any fields at all.

The desire to go farming is triggered at 6AM (or thereabout). As long as the farmer is not walking, he will get that trigger and make that his next stop. But if he's already walking (he's already left that hospital), he has to reach his destination to get the next signal.

So if you want to have farmers next to the Nile and the rest of the city inland, make sure you provide as many services as possible either right at the Nile for the farmers, or mid-way between the two places. I usually pick the first item because the second can get expensive due to priest needs (too much bread).

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:04 pm

"Yahya" wrote:If they go to do anything else during either of these two days, their farming does not get done and yield can go to zero (although that's not likely because their children should still go there).

On planting day, it's only daddy farmer who plants the fields. Then he moves on to plant another field and mommy farmer takes over the first field and tends to it. When daddy farmer goes to plant the third field, one of the children starts to tend to the second field (don't know what happens when they have no children, I guess the children of other farmers come over).
So, if farmer daddy is missing because he has to care about other things, the whole family will not plant in that season!

On harvest day, it's not that important, since all familiy members (even multiple children) can harvest equally. They even don't care about to whom the fields belong, they just go out and harvest one they can get hold of. If they arrive at the threshing area early, they even sometimes return to the floodplain and harvest another field noone claimed up to that point.
So, one or very few farmers busy with other tasks are no problem for the harvest. Here, the main problem is if the farmers have to walk such long distances that they don't arrive at the threshing area in time.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:04 pm

Howdy, victortiti89!

Great responses so far, so I will add one thing. About building far from the floodplain. At exactly 7:20 PM Shemu, once each year, food is immediately automagically transferred from the Threshing Area where the harvesting farmers put it, into your farmer homes, nobles, Palace & bakeries/granaries. No cartpushers involved like in Pharaoh or the Classic CB games..

At exactly 3 AM every day (three days in a year, one day equals one season), food is again immediately automagically transferred to bakeries from granaries to top them off.

This is how farmed food gets to your remote cities far from the floodplain, by placing bakeries in them. Remote cities do not need farmers, so no problem there. Only farmers need to be close to the floodplain, cuz they do not get their food from bakeries.

Good Luck! :)
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:46 pm

Good points, Tink. I forgot to mention that.

Sakasiru, I didn't realize the intricacy of it. Nonetheless, if you tie up your farmdaddy with something during Peret, you're boned, especially the first year when you might only have a few farmhouses populated.

Return to “General Discussion”