I Did It!

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
Darsis

I Did It!

Postby Darsis » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:16 am

I bought COTN a while ago and played it a little bit on and off. I started playing again and beat the first mission in the grand campaign! I finally figured out how the game works, (mostly due to the tutorials and posts on this forum).

I know the game has been out a long time, but i'm patting myself on the back for figuring it out :rolleyes:

I think one of the reasons COTN got a few mixed reviews is because the reviewers didn't understand how the game works. It's very different from the Impression games, and takes some real playtime to understand it.

Zeal

Congratulations!

Postby Zeal » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:58 am

I still have some mixed feelings about Cotn but as a whole I respect what it does offer, Cotn is a refreshing change from the older games which were basically the same old mechanics in new cultures. Some of the reviews have been unfair imo but that happens to every game to some extent.

Don't get me wrong, the Older games were nice. But when you figured out the 'perfect' layout, you would find yourself constantly rebuilding the same cities again and again. I have been playing Cotn for 5 years and have played the original campaign more than a few times, I have NEVER built the same city twice :eek:

My favorite of the first tier is Men-Nefer because you get to build pyramids :D
be careful though, they mislabeled the difficulty on some of the scenarios imo... Men-Nefer is a good example, Cotn calls it hard but it's actually the easiest.

PS here is a snapshot :cool:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:59 pm

I think one of the reasons COTN got a few mixed reviews is because the reviewers didn't understand how the game works. It's very different from the Impression games, and takes some real playtime to understand it.

This is typically the case in many reviews. The reviewer just doesn't have the time or the inclination to play it long enough to figure out what is actually going on.

The old games were classics and they are still fun in some ways. There are still a lot of people that play them and even prefer them over the newer style introduced in Children of the Nile.

Since the old games were being developed on Sierra's dime, Impressions had to fit them into the mold that Sierra expected. Once Impressions was cut loose from Sierra, they could form a new studio (Tilted Mill) and make a game that they truly wanted to produce. The result was CotN.

Caesar IV, although it incorporates many features from CotN, including the game engine, was ordered by Sierra and TM had to include things that Sierra expected as a successor to Caesar III.

Darsis

Postby Darsis » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:03 pm

Nifty pyramid Zeal.

I actually still have Pharaoh/Cleopatra on my machine and play it from time to time. Emperor is also installed and I mess around with it and really enjoy it. I've been wanting to get a copy of Caesar III, my original disk is gone, just haven't broken down and spent the money. I'm a sucker for those older city builders.

There's a lot of things I liked about the old games, but I do have my housing block setup and many cities look the same. At least the residential areas do. I'm somewhat on the fence on cotn when it comes to roads. I use them but in reality you really don't need them like you did in the older games. I think I like how Emperor handled roads, everything needs road access but you don't have to have the housing near your buildings. Not a big deal though.

I do miss keeping the gods happy and having them rain down destruction or blessings depending upon their moods but again, minor gripe.

Janmar

Postby Janmar » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:12 pm

Pharaoh and Cleopatra was really my first foray into city building games and I think that gives me really fond memories of it. I still have it installed and have gone back and played again, I especially like doing the tomb building scenarios.

I bought COTN when it first came out and I also bought Alexandria as soon as they released it and really it took me a long time of playing it off and on but recently I started again and I think this is the first time that I really "got it" and I'm really enjoying myself playing it.

I really wish they would have included tomb building in COTN and more industries like Pharaoh had. I really keep hoping that they release more updates for it because I will buy them all. It really would have been cool to build step pyramids too.

I also play Zeus and Emperor and love both of them too. I also wish that COTN had some God effects, that would have been really fun and if they made it so you could turn them off for the players who don't want to play that way would make a nice option.

Zeal

Postby Zeal » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:20 pm

Emperor was my favorite next to Pharaoh. I started playing Cbs with Caesar 2 and have played them all since then (recently I was playing and won Caesar 1)

Pharaoh is my favorite of the "old" styled CBs and Emperor is my favorite of the "new" styled ones.. Emperor would have been my favorite in general if it had a labor allocation tab and allowed me to automatically donate a % of total production to keep the ancestors appeased. I got really annoyed constantly going back into the tab to manually donate to them every month :rolleyes:

The way Emperor handled farming was the most realistic of all the old CBs :D
but I was reading that it is possible to upgrade them with iron plows and haven't yet figured out how to do it.. (I haven't looked much into it either)

Darsis

Postby Darsis » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:21 am

Janmar,

I thought the player could build tombs in cotn? Mastabas, pyramids and such, am I missing something?

I also forgot I have Zeus, I need to reinstall that one.

Zeal,

I've also heard that the inspector towers, or was it the guard towers, can be upgraded as well.

The ancestor tribute can be a bit tedious but they seem to take a long time to really get pissed at you.

Janmar

Postby Janmar » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:58 pm

"Darsis" wrote:Janmar,

I thought the player could build tombs in cotn? Mastabas, pyramids and such, am I missing something?

I meant like the tombs in Pharaoh which actually go inside the cliffs. We can build Mastabas and Pyramids only in COTN, which are not technically tombs.

In Pharaoh it was actually like the tombs in the Valley of the Kings. The workers would actually work hollowing them out actually making them multi-chambered, then the craftsman would paint the inside, then you would have to allocate burial supplies such as jewels, statutes and pottery and then the Pharaoh could be laid to rest.

Janmar

Pic from Pharaoh

Postby Janmar » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:41 pm

Here is one of the pics of a tomb being built in the cliffs which I wish they would have had in COTN.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:32 pm

Mastabas & Pyramids are not technically tombs?

LOL !!!

Janmar

Postby Janmar » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:49 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Mastabas & Pyramids are not technically tombs?

LOL !!!

Tink, I actually didn't mean to throw Mastabas in that statement but Pyramids were definitely not intended as tombs, note the low number of Pyramids built. Most were buried in real tombs like in the Valley of the Kings and Queens.

Mastabas were used as tombs but I find them boring until you get into step Pyramids which were really one Mastaba after the other stacked on top of each other.

Needed to clarify that, OK TINK!!! LOL

[EDIT]

I guess what I really miss is the complexity of tomb building. I mean it took a whole society to build the tombs. It took many different types of craftsman, Priests, laborers, raw materials, etc.
Last edited by Janmar on Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zeal

Postby Zeal » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:28 pm

"Janmar" wrote:I guess what I really miss is the complexity of tomb building. I mean it took a whole society to build the tombs. It took many different types of craftsman, Priests, laborers, raw materials, etc.

Most people knew what you meant by "tomb building", I also miss the complexity the tombs and monuments had in Pharaoh. Still.. in the long run they were only a matter of time to build in either game.

@ Darsis: You can get Nu Wa to bless inspector towers (I think it is Nu Wa anyways) Maybe that's how you upgrade farms too but I've never needed more food than I could produce, I love having large scale realistic farms and irrigation ditches, so I always have a huge surplus. :eek:

Irrigation ditches and pumps are one thing I really would like to see in Cotn, but the 3d terrain would make them difficult to add. :(

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:46 pm

Pyramid building in Pharaoh was fake. Egyptians did not level with water. Egyptians also didn't use wood in the ramps.

COTN Alexandria added complex multi-step, multi-resource mega-monuments with the Great Works!
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zeal

Postby Zeal » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:55 pm

God knows the Egyptians placed the blueprints on a grid and the first layer of limestone magically appeared IRL too! :rolleyes:

Janmar

Postby Janmar » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:07 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Pyramid building in Pharaoh was fake. Egyptians did not level with water. Egyptians also didn't use wood in the ramps.

COTN Alexandria added complex multi-step, multi-resource mega-monuments with the Great Works!

I haven't tried the Alexandria scenario yet, I was re-working my way through the campaign but maybe I will give it a try!

Darsis

Postby Darsis » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:36 am

The Valley of Kings would be an great addition to cotn.

As far as realism goes, I find the stone carver hopping around the pyramids in cotn a bit entertaining :p

Ok I'm so going to try and get Nu Wa to do the blessings. I will be hitting the "8" key to bring up the that wonderful tribute screen every month or so :eek:

Moseswannabe

Postby Moseswannabe » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:57 pm

I loved pharoah and became very proficient at it on very hard only to find out i hd a lot to learn when trying the tourny creations. CON is realy a great sequal but lacks in my experiance so far in the tensions the old game had. It also had a lot more out of the box total content. CON economy model is the best i have seen in any game..i'm going to try hard mode and hope all you folks taught me will carry me through the first try

Return to “General Discussion”