# of Nobles?

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
Yahya

# of Nobles?

Postby Yahya » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:26 pm

I'm curious about something. On average, how many nobles do people have in their cities?

I usually have between 8 and 16, usually on the smaller side, but I think most people build larger than I do.

So how many do you use?

texasmine

Postby texasmine » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:44 pm

I am a slow builder, so I generally start with 2 -- I HATE it when they start whining for entertainment, etc.

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:06 pm

I always start with four. In many of the easier and earlier campaign scenarios you can generally get away with that number. The later ones will generally require more, especially when you have soldiers to feed.

If I notice that my harvests are getting smaller or running out sooner, I may add another noble so as to increase the number of farmers depending on whether all other factors are normal such as scribes, bakeries, farms all occupied, etc.

Soon after I build the palace and get bricks in to production I'll add a court of law, entertainer and gardner and that should keep the nobles happy for a while. That is just for starters, there is more to be done as you continue on, of course, such as lux and common shops, servants, tombs, etc.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:19 pm

I start with 4 & usually no more than 12 at Win Screen. I used to do 16, but am much better now.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:39 pm

I usually have 4-8, depending on how big I plan the city. 4 for smaller goals, 6-8 if hordes of workers for big monuments or many soldiers are needed.

I had cities with up to 23 nobles, but I tend to keep their number low. Never really needed more than 8 even in very demanding scenarios.

Amrine

Postby Amrine » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:25 am

I don't do more than ten and wouldn't do ten but some scenarios require you to have ten nobles at max status etc

I do however start with 6 because that way you get the whining over early.

evilbill-agqx

Postby evilbill-agqx » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:47 am

I've been known to have 30 or more in very large cities, but only in Sandbox scenarios, never in campaign missions! I had a Son of Ra recently where I had something like 38 nobles.

Of course I had the serendipitous luck on that one to have three long-lived Pharaohs one after another, thus allowing me to build each of them some pretty nice pyramids before the inevitable prestige hit of a death after a glorious 23-year reign ;)
Last edited by evilbill-agqx on Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When Tal Rasha chose to embody the spirit of Baal, he knew his doom was to wrestle eternally against the will of the greater Evil. Look around you and ask yourself, Has the battle been won or lost?"
- Lysander

CatMajik

Postby CatMajik » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:11 pm

I start with 2 nobles and progress to 10 when required in a scenario. Otherwise I have 8 nobles. Over 10 and I get lag.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:08 pm

Thank you all for your inputs. I appreciate that. I'm working on some things, and I wanted to get a feel for how people build. Anyone else who wants to comment is free to do so.

"CatMajik" wrote:I start with 2 nobles and progress to 10 when required in a scenario. Otherwise I have 8 nobles. Over 10 and I get lag.

Ah, that's a good point, CatMajik. Thanks for that. The good news is that my plans will not punish anyone who builds smaller cities, not that 10 nobles is small. It looks to be about average, really.

But as the city gets larger, it gets more difficult. :D :cool:

Janmar

Postby Janmar » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:37 pm

I use to start with 2 nobles but I found they just don't produce enough food so now I start with 4 and then add as I need them.

Starcomet

Postby Starcomet » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:00 pm

I usually start with 3 and I end up with 4 or 5. Nobels are only useful for farming and educated workers, if you want a big society you will need tons of nobels. I only stay in one area of the map and rarely move to the other areas, so my cities are usually pretty small.

evilbill-agqx

Postby evilbill-agqx » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:04 pm

I tend to build bloody big cities, but they're usually quite tightly compacted (terrain allowing). All clustered together, with the exception of tombs.

Although, as the city grows, it tends to encircle the older tombs and just keep going! You can tell who the first families in the city are by how close their mastabs are to the city's buildings... the very oldest families tend to have tombs that are all but within the city centre in a game that's been running for 40-50 game years! ;)
"When Tal Rasha chose to embody the spirit of Baal, he knew his doom was to wrestle eternally against the will of the greater Evil. Look around you and ask yourself, Has the battle been won or lost?"
- Lysander

NobleSeth

Postby NobleSeth » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:23 pm

i used to star with 2, now with 4, and build another 2 or 4 later. Now i am playing hard and the max Educated Workers i reach was 25, i wonder how many People one can handle with 25 Educated Workers. I tend to use them all with just these small cities.
When you are playing with 16 Nobles are you playing Hard or Normal? how many educated workers?

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:40 am

I always play on Hard, and I very rarely have 25 educated workers. I usually have far less.

Let's see, I generally have, in a completed, 16-noble city:

3 Healthcare areas - 3 Priests
1 Mortuary - 1 Priest
Cult Temple, 1-2 small temples, 14 shrines - 3-4 Priests
1 School - 1 Priest
5-6 Scribes
3 Overseers
3-4 Commanders (if necessary)

So that is a maximum of 22 educated workers, and that is only if I have the commanders, which I never do unless they are strictly required by the scenario.

Sometimes, when I build very long and get bored near the endgame, I will add 1-2 commanders for city guard, but usually not.

I also sometimes will add one more healthcare area and religion priest, so that would increase the amount to 24 educated.

I tend near the endgame to have all my educated slots filled, and about 10-15 educated children waiting for someone to retire.

I also, occasionally, will add 1-2 more overseers, depending on goals. If I am building a big pyramid, I will have a couple of extra. That way I can have one quarrying limestone (but I keep a close eye on that to avoid a huge inventory of blocks that require the laborers to pull them out), two or three building the pyramid.

Then I might have a couple more to quarry basalt/obelisks (I switch that guy back and forth), and one to oversee statue construction.

If my overseers end up idle for some reason, I make them mine gold or whatever else I want.

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:05 am

Me too! :D

evilbill-agqx

Postby evilbill-agqx » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:32 am

How did you get 54 priests?? :eek:
- Lysander

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:16 am

He cheated. ;)

:D

CatMajik

Postby CatMajik » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:05 pm

Tomnobles, How did your game run w/ 193 nobles and 1442 farmers? Mine starts to lag at 12 nobles, you must have one hell of a pc.

NobleSeth

Postby NobleSeth » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:50 pm

"evilbill-agqx" wrote:How did you get 54 priests?? :eek:

and have 76/25 educated workers xD

NobleSeth

Postby NobleSeth » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:50 pm

"CatMajik" wrote:Tomnobles, How did your game run w/ 193 nobles and 1442 farmers? Mine starts to lag at 12 nobles, you must have one hell of a pc.

yeah i would like to have a better PC also to set in best graphics, what configuration do you have?

Return to “General Discussion”