Anybody Home?

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:34 am

"Keith" wrote:I'm still here. My computer started acting up in December and I've been taking my time deciding whether to get a new one or get a refurbished power unit for my Dell XPS and get another year or two out of the system. The computer it self runs fine, but it only runs for about an hour or so before it resets due to what I think is a thermal short.

So I haven't been playing much of anything for a while.

When similar happened to me, I bought a Laptop. So far I haven't regretted it.

I normally use it a desktop substitute, I plug in my ex desktop widescreen monitor (for photoshop) and powered USB hub, use a wireless keyboard and mouse and all the othe usb devices.
Also plug it into my TV and Hifi using the HDMI port and the headphone socket, and of course it's a laptop too.

The only thing I regret is not getting one with a dedicated graphics that supports higher resolutions.

I check the forum every day...

But blessed is he who expects nothing, for he will never be disappointed

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:11 pm

Still here. ;)

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:19 pm

I've been playing around with a HP Slate 500 tablet computer my wife got issued by the school system she worlks for. It's kind of neat, and if you want to go portable that's the way to go. If you expect to do a lot of typing though, you really need to get a USB folding keyboard.

Since it's owned by the school district I didn't try installing CotN or Caesar IV on it just to see how they would run.

My little portable USB Samsung DVD burner drive works like a champ with the tablet PC.

We had a laptop computer once. It crashed after a couple of years and was too expensive to fix. I didn't really like it. The keyboard didn't feel good or give me the tactile feedback I like. The mousepad was located below the spacebar and it was too easy to touch by accident, which would cause the mouse cursor to jump around on the screen. We ended up getting my wife this Dell computer I'm using now.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:44 am

I'm playing C3 and Pharaoh of late. Got a bug for the older games. Just ordered C4 today, also, for the first time, so that should be fun when it gets here.

BTW, Keith, I was just able today to point someone to the Pharaoh Jukebox to download the "Lost Tracks" today. :)

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:02 am

"Yahya" wrote:
BTW, Keith, I was just able today to point someone to the Pharaoh Jukebox to download the "Lost Tracks" today. :)

Cool. :cool: They are truly lost now with the shutdown of the Sierra FTP servers. I'm probably one of a few, if not the ony one that has them available for download.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:16 pm

Yes, I'm pretty sure you are. An extensive web search was done for the files, but when I saw the titles, I wondered about that file, which I had downloaded last year. :D

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:41 pm

Give my Roman Empire Quiz a try. It's not easy. There are 25 questions selected randomly from a database of 160 (currently) so it always asks some new questions each time you play it.

Citybuilder Music index page

Caesar III Music Player
Pharaoh Music Jukebox
Zeus Music Box
Emperor's Music Box
Children of the Nile Musicbox
Caesar IV Music Box
Zeus & Poseidon Official Walkthroughs & Cheats
Pharaoh Official Walkthrough
Cleopatra Official Walkthrough
Pharaoh Cheats
Cleopatra Cheats
Caesar 3 Playthrough Archive
Roman History Quiz

The music players require that the game is installed in the original default location and that you are using a Windows version older than Win 7.

evilbill-agqx

Postby evilbill-agqx » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:01 pm

"Yahya" wrote:I'm playing C3 and Pharaoh of late. Got a bug for the older games. Just ordered C4 today, also, for the first time, so that should be fun when it gets here.

I picked Pharaoh up again recently too. Got up as far as the Menat Khufu mission a few days ago. Good times!
"When Tal Rasha chose to embody the spirit of Baal, he knew his doom was to wrestle eternally against the will of the greater Evil. Look around you and ask yourself, Has the battle been won or lost?"
- Lysander

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:18 am

Keith wrote:Give my Roman Empire Quiz a try. It's not easy.

I'll second that. I just got a 3 on it. Ouch.

I just finished a Roman History course in the spring, also. :eek:

evilbill-agqx

Postby evilbill-agqx » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:36 am

Heh, I got a 3 too. It would have been more, but the evil thing deducts a point for every wrong answer! :eek:

I could have SWORN the as was a bronze coin, too. (Former coin collector here. LOL)
"When Tal Rasha chose to embody the spirit of Baal, he knew his doom was to wrestle eternally against the will of the greater Evil. Look around you and ask yourself, Has the battle been won or lost?"
- Lysander

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:14 am

I took it myself and managed to get 16 on the first attempt the other day, which was pretty good for me, considering I hadn't taken the quiz in 8 or 9 months. I made a couple of careless errors and one timed out on me before I could type in the response.

It's there to use and enjoy, so don't be bashful.

tomnobles

Yep!

Postby tomnobles » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:13 am

I,m home. Not much going on anywhere.

Benni003

Postby Benni003 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:50 pm

yes, I'm here and I'm waiting for news about the game on witch TiltedMIll is working on.
Hope they will tell us about it soon.

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:46 pm

Still here, too! :) Well checking now and then for news, since there's not much going on here. :(

I'm currently busy designing a world for Sims3, so no scenario in the works either.

I hope and pray that TM isn't as dead as it looks. I'd buy any sequel of CotN or other city builders from them immediately. Never found one that was so much fun and had such nice graphics as TM's...

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:53 am

"Keith" wrote:I'm still here. My computer started acting up in December and I've been taking my time deciding whether to get a new one or get a refurbished power unit for my Dell XPS and get another year or two out of the system. The computer it self runs fine, but it only runs for about an hour or so before it resets due to what I think is a thermal short.

Hey Keith, send me your address via PM and I'll send you a power supply I picked up at a thrift store, looks almost new. I think I paid $5 so no biggie..

It's a Rosewell Extreme 80 - RX750-S-B Whoever took it out of their system replaced it with a Corsair 950W so it must have been a super gaming rig. I'm pretty sure this PSU is good and positive it will work in your system.

PantherX
:cool:

Return to “General Discussion”