CotN II?

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
gamester101

CotN II?

Postby gamester101 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:58 am

Of all the city builders, and I’ve played most of them, I’ll have to say CotN and the add on were my all time favorite. Not necessarily for the Graphics, even though the interface (right mouse, and wheel button’s) Were great. even at a first shooter level. And not because I won second place in the Grand Pyramid contest (insert a cred type smile) :cool: . But because it had personality. The random remarks and so on, doing their daily chores, Even, And especially, the glitches.

I just got 3 of the Anno series in the mail today. One of the very few I haven’t tried yet. Haven’t even opened the boxes. So I cannot ad these to comparison yet. But I have or did have MOST of the city builders. But sticking to the CotN, Caesar 4, Civ City Rome styles, I think I’ve played em all.

So I was thinking, What would be the next gen of all those, I would like to see the most. It was no competition. CotN II!!! I never, and I Mean NEVER! Paid for a game when it first came out. And almost always waited till they were at MOST $19,95. Like I just did with Anno 2070. The other 2, 1404 and 1701 were $4.95 so SCORE! Been waiting a while for that. I think I paid $9.95 or $14.95 for CotN.

Bottom line, I would pay the day CotN II came out. I could picture crispy clear hi end graphics. More detailed things the characters do and say and so on. Maybe even optional, on the spot side missions, and/or optional interactive side games, maybe gambling or something.

As an avid long time city builder guy, I urge you writers to conceder this. You could the ones to create the next gen of city building. And I gladly volunteer as Beta tester and someone who would give great input for ideas to make a great 2nd gen CotN.

May Ra put a fire beneath Thy rumpus roastus

gamester101

Postby gamester101 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:43 pm

Please send this to CotN General please. I must have posed here by mistake.
Thank you.

EDIT: Thank you for moving this to it's proper place.
Last edited by gamester101 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gamester101

Postby gamester101 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:46 am

I guess I'm a bit mystified.

Over 150 views and no one touches this one? Either All the people that enjoyed this game don’t link here anymore or I’m the last of a dying breed. If that’s the case I recommend to at least try a demo, if there is one. Even with it’s flaws, I found it more immersing than the rest. Probably due to the great zoom interface.

But Ok. I won’t gripe about it anymore. But I still say it was the best of it's kind.

Oh and update, I tryed a couple of the anno games I talked about earlier. Apples and oranges. I do wish Anno had the "rmb all camera" though.

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:22 am

I think most people frequenting this forum agree, and would appreciate a COTN II, I don't mind the whereabouts, but I would like whichever ancient civilization with a development of COTN mechanichs.

gamester101

Postby gamester101 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:39 am

"vic_4" wrote:I think most people frequenting this forum agree, and would appreciate a COTN II, I don't mind the whereabouts, but I would like whichever ancient civilization with a development of COTN mechanichs.

Yeah. Like Rome or something.

I should have did the vote option. I was hoping it would get some play and catch the attention of the writers.

The latest thing going now is the new Sim City, coming out this Feb, but again apples and oranges

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:25 pm

I concur, gamester. :)

In the absence of a true CotN II, I keep planning to put together some massive campaigns, for years now.

One I want to make is Pharaoh II, which will reproduce all the scenarios and campaigns of Pharaoh in CotN. That's a big project, so I planned to release the different ages in campaigns: Pre-Dynastic; Archaic; Old Kingdom; Middle Kingdom; and New Kingdom. This one will require some customer parameters so we can get kingdom ratings, at least similar to the originals, and some different scenario goals depending on available monuments, resources, et cetera. If I can ever get to it, it will be damned fun to make and to play.

A second one I'd like to do is a sort of CotN II, big campaign. That will be more difficult because I'll have to create the scenarios from scratch based on real stories from Egypt, so it will require some research to make it more authentic. Good thing I'm a budding historian, working on my Master's degree now. :D

The third one I want to do (that I might do first due to simplicity), is the second Sand Wars trilogy: Episodes IV, V, and VI. The first in that series is called A Renewed Faith. I had excellent titles prepared for V and VI before, but I lost them unfortunately, so I'll have to create them again in my mind. That one will be fun because it will complete that story arc.

Then I had a few other plans along the lines of the Sand Wars tongue-in-cheek homages. Among those are Lord of the Sands and Sandy Weaver. I hope those hints are not lost on too many people. :D

Of course, given recent developments in pop culture, I might have to add a third to that group: Dusk. ;)

evilbill-agqx

Postby evilbill-agqx » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:35 am

"Yahya" wrote:I concur, gamester. :)

In the absence of a true CotN II, I keep planning to put together some massive campaigns, for years now.

One I want to make is Pharaoh II, which will reproduce all the scenarios and campaigns of Pharaoh in CotN. That's a big project, so I planned to release the different ages in campaigns: Pre-Dynastic; Archaic; Old Kingdom; Middle Kingdom; and New Kingdom. This one will require some customer parameters so we can get kingdom ratings, at least similar to the originals, and some different scenario goals depending on available monuments, resources, et cetera. If I can ever get to it, it will be damned fun to make and to play.

I for one would LOVE to play that! I still love Pharaoh but I do get frustrated with its limitations compared to CotN - while on the other hand I'd enjoy seeing a few of Pharaoh's features that CotN lacks!

A second one I'd like to do is a sort of CotN II, big campaign. That will be more difficult because I'll have to create the scenarios from scratch based on real stories from Egypt, so it will require some research to make it more authentic. Good thing I'm a budding historian, working on my Master's degree now. :D

Oh nice :D I'm a history junkie myself - Egypt especially. :)
"When Tal Rasha chose to embody the spirit of Baal, he knew his doom was to wrestle eternally against the will of the greater Evil. Look around you and ask yourself, Has the battle been won or lost?"
- Lysander

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:15 pm

"evilbill-agqx" wrote:I for one would LOVE to play that! I still love Pharaoh but I do get frustrated with its limitations compared to CotN - while on the other hand I'd enjoy seeing a few of Pharaoh's features that CotN lacks!

Yes, it would be fun to add some Pharaoh stuff into CotN, and it would be fun to add some CotN stuff into Pharaoh. I might have to make a couple backward-compatible scenarios for Pharaoh as well. LOL

"evilbill-agqx" wrote:Oh nice :D I'm a history junkie myself - Egypt especially. :)

My Master's thesis is most likely going to be on the Ottoman Empire. But doing some research on some Egyptian stories would be fun for CotN. :)

Of course, that's what fun about projects like Sand Wars. No one expects those to be even remotely similar to real Egypt or even CotN, so I can do whatever I want. :D

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:46 pm

Just had an idea for a funny title for CotN II:

Grandchildren of the Nile.

:D

evilbill-agqx

Postby evilbill-agqx » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:41 pm

"Yahya" wrote:Yes, it would be fun to add some Pharaoh stuff into CotN, and it would be fun to add some CotN stuff into Pharaoh. I might have to make a couple backward-compatible scenarios for Pharaoh as well. LOL

That'd be fun too! I still play Pharaoh a lot. When I'm not playing CotN, Quake II or the Diablo series, that is. ;)

My Master's thesis is most likely going to be on the Ottoman Empire. But doing some research on some Egyptian stories would be fun for CotN. :)

Of course, that's what fun about projects like Sand Wars. No one expects those to be even remotely similar to real Egypt or even CotN, so I can do whatever I want. :D

This is very true! :)
"When Tal Rasha chose to embody the spirit of Baal, he knew his doom was to wrestle eternally against the will of the greater Evil. Look around you and ask yourself, Has the battle been won or lost?"
- Lysander

gamester

Postby gamester » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:03 am

After all this pharaoh talk, I dusted off the ol XP machine and Pharaoh AND Cleopatra, but unfortunately it wouldn’t install. Some dll or something. But I am playing CotN again. Just got the buz for it is all.

But hopefully The CotN crew will take another stab at it. With me of course, guiding them from the player side of things, I predict big time profit and the next new thing in ancient city building.

What a hook.

tobing

Postby tobing » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:15 am

Check out the gog.com version of Pharaoh, includes Cleopatra and runs fine on XP and Win 7. :)

evilbill-agqx

Postby evilbill-agqx » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:18 am

Also if you tell the setup.exe's for both Pharaoh and Cleo to run in Win2000 compatibility mode, they should both install fine on any version of Windows including x64 Win7. :)
- Lysander

gamester

Postby gamester » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:35 am

"evilbill-agqx" wrote:Also if you tell the setup.exe's for both Pharaoh and Cleo to run in Win2000 compatibility mode, they should both install fine on any version of Windows including x64 Win7. :)

Thanks for that tip.

I tryed your idea, However I still got the same error

"ereg.dll is not a valid win 32 application" at the end of the install.

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:20 pm

"gamester" wrote:Thanks for that tip.

I tryed your idea, However I still got the same error

"ereg.dll is not a valid win 32 application" at the end of the install.

ereg.dll and reg32.exe are software registration tools incorporated on products such as those by Brøderbund, Connectix, Hewlett-Packard, The Learning Company, and Sierra.

It is possible that the the ereg.dll file installed on your system is corrupt and you may have to uninstall and reinstall the game again. Try doing it from the SAFE MODE of Windows. To get to the SAFE MODE restart the computer while holding down the F5 key (you have to do this before the computer beeps during the startup). Once it beeps you can let up on the F5 key. You should eventually end up at a black and white menu. On that menu there should be a option for a SAFE MODE start up. Type the number of that option and let the computer proceed. From the Safe Mode desktop install the game. Once installed reboot the computer and let it start up normally.

If that doesn't work it may be that the installer on the disc is damaged, possibly dirt or a scratch could be effecting the install. Dirt you can clean, but a scratch might mean that you need a new copy of the game.

Or...if this game originally came with an old Packard Bell computer and you have since reinstalled Windows on that computer on your own, the game will not work because the reinstall you might have done did not install the correct "electronic signature" or "key file" that will allow those versions of the games to run. This was true of many games that came with PB computers. They would not run on other computers and they won't run on the original computer if the Windows operating system had been reinstalled or a different version of Windows was isntalled by the user.

gamester

Postby gamester » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:12 am

I have two machines. a 64 bit win 7 and an old XP machine. So unlikely about the corupt file. I got these games WAY back. I think I was actualy running 98 se at the time.

There are a couple of scratches. Ive seen way worse though. But you never know. Ill the try the safe mode trick and see if that works.

thanks for the help.

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:48 am

Deep scratches are the worst, of course. Scratches that run across the disc are usually handled by the CD/DVD drive and software, but scratches that run lenghtwise around the disc can be fatal.

If the computer hasn't been run for a bit, maybe the CD/DVD drive head needs a cleaning.

If there is nothing wrong with the system or the disc, the Safe Mode should be able to get it going.

A virus scanner could also be interfering with the ereg.dll file.

Driver updates may be in order.

The games themselves should have no problem installing and running on Windows XP. I've got all of them installed on my XP system.

Pharaoh Pepy

Postby Pharaoh Pepy » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:18 pm

Turning off User Account Control might help.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:21 pm

Making sure you install the game using the Admintrator account is best. Also, you can set he CaesarIV.exe file to "run as" the Adminstrator, but right clicking ont he icon and setting the "run as" option that way.

Sereniama

Postby Sereniama » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:12 pm

"gamester101" wrote:Yeah. Like Rome or something.

I should have did the vote option. I was hoping it would get some play and catch the attention of the writers.

The latest thing going now is the new Sim City, coming out this Feb, but again apples and oranges

I'd love to see a China one.

Return to “General Discussion”