Is anybody here?

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
Jytte

Is anybody here?

Postby Jytte » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:21 pm

Hello All,

I just discovered "Children of the Nile", bought it from GOG games. I'm not a 'gamer' but I love building things.
To my dismay, it seems that everyone has long since forgotten and/or abandoned this game ?

I found a lot of useful information in this forum, but basically all the links to the 'good stuff' are dead. Why?

The cap of 35 educated workers is my main problem. Found a mod on heaven that ups it to 50, which is great, but still very tight for the city I have in mind (making my own big map). I found several references to other mods with way more educated workers here, but all those references leave to posts that aren't here any more.

so, anybody out there?
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Yahya

Re: Is anybody here?

Postby Yahya » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:29 pm

Hi Jytte, and welcome. :)

You'll find a few of us lurking here, answering questions here and there. Sadly there's not a ton of discussion any longer. Every once in a while I kick around the idea of developing Sand Wars further, but without a lot of demand I'm a little reluctant to take that on.

The reason you find a lot of dead links, if I have the history right, is that several years ago the forums were hacked and TM had to purge the file stores. As a result any uploaded file from before a certain date, around 6 years ago, will be broken unless the original poster (or someone else) uploaded the file again. Most of my files were saved in this way, so they are available, and a lot of the texture files from Keith and others are similarly recovered.

If my memory serves you can easily increase the maximum number of educated workers in the CotN.ini file. But yes, there are mods that increase that limit for you so you can build a huge metropolis. This game came out in 2004 and the engine is that of 2001's Empire Earth, so today's computers can handle much larger cities than those from that time.

But if you have questions, post away. There are at least three of us that will see all the questions and will answer if we can.

Have fun building with your CotNizens! :)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:35 pm

Hi Yahya, kind of you to answer and so quickly :)

I made a few changes to cotn.ini in order to make a bat for windowed, but never saw a place to change educated workers... I'll have another look.
I found so many interesting things, like skins, but can't access any of them, guess they're lost to the purge you mention, how sad :(
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:51 pm

I had another close look at cotn.ini, and find nothing in there about educated workers limits, not that I can see.

There is one in there "Game Unit Limit 500".... that has me wondering. Might that be a cap on how many buildings one can place? which would limit one's population to around 1500.... but I've seen some finished cities with over 2000 population. The city I have in mind will have around 3000.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:06 pm

Hi Yahya,

I looked at one of your earlier posts, it has this: "Check the file Cotn.ini. It's a huge file with most of the game text in it,"
now I'm really baffled..... the cotn.ini for my game is rather tiny and has a very limited number of parameters, certainly no text or names
I have the 'latest' 'complete' game. Would this have changed?

Edit: this is the file that is save in 'my documents... setting..' that holds your changes to screen solutions etc, little else
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:21 pm

Now that you mention it, there is another file whose name I can't remember. It should also be an .ini file that has the game text. I posted in a thread recently about that file and someone corrected me.

That's probably not it, however.

I'm at work now and I'm having trouble searching for old threads. I'll have a look when I get home later today.

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:45 pm

Yahya, certainly didn't mean to interrupt you at work :oops:

If you get a chance at some time, I'd be eternally grateful for a bit of help though.

Meanwhile I've searched and searched, there is only ONE .ini file, being cotn.ini (which is placed in documents and setting), it looks like this (made a formatted copy for easier viewing):

Allow Custom Civs 1
Ambient Sounds 1
Animation Smoothing 1
Auto Show Speech Bubble 1
AutoSave In Milliseconds 0
Building Sounds 1
Button MIP Levels to Drop 0
CT Send Interval Step Down 10
CT Send Interval Step Up 125
Cheat Codes 1
Computer Player Difficulty Level 1
Debug OOS Handling 1
Difficulty Level 1
Display Shadows 1
Display Sky Detail 1
Effect Detail 2
Enable Animal Herds 1
First Person When Zoomed In 1
Full Screen Mode 1
Game Bit Depth 32
Game Speed 1
Game Speed Max 250
Game Unit Limit 500
Game Variant 2
Game Window Height 1024
Game Window Width 1280
Gamma 115
Host Game Name Narmer
Invert Mouse Pitch 0
Invert Mouse Yaw 0
JPG Screenshot Quality Percentage [0 to 100] 80
LOD Index Modifier 5
Last Auto Save C:\Documents and Settings\Jytte\My Documents\Tilted Mill\Children of the Nile\Saved Games\AutoSave 2015.09.03 - 23h.33m.28s.ank
Last Game File Daughter of Isis 01 starting village 6 nobles
Last Open Post Game Stats Page 1
Last Quick Save
Last Scenario File Daughter of Isis
Load Game Name
Lock Speed 0
Lock Teams 0
MIP Levels to Drop 0
Map Size 1
Map Type
Max CT Send Interval 2250
Max Number Of Sounds (percent) 100
Max PTs per Second 125
Min PTs per Second 5
Music Enabled 1
Music Volume 10
Number Of AutoSaves 1
PT Rate Tuning Threshold (percent) 30
Player Name Ramses
Rear Clipping Plane 135
Record Game 0
Reveal Map 0
Reverb Enabled 0
Right Hand Mouse Orientation 1
Screen ID 0
Show Auto Waypoints 0
Show Popup Messages 1
Side Scroll Speed 242
Sound Volume 68
Speech Sounds 1
Speech Volume 100
Starting Keyboard Layout 0
Starting Resources 5
Take BMP Screenshots 0
Take End Game Screenshots 0
Terrain MIP Levels to Drop 0
Texture Bit Depth 32
Trilinear Filter 1
Unit Lighting 1
Unit Scale Factor 100
UseAreaEffectOverlays 1
UseCandidateWindow 0
Wait for VSync 1
Water Shader Detail 2
Zoom Lock 100
ZoomStyle 2
Allow Custom Civs 1

Well, I see nothing here that would help my predicament.

I did find the post you are referring to I think, somebody wanted to change the name of gods. He found that in 'languagetext.txt', which is huge and has tons of game text, but nothing BUT game text as far as I can tell.

The mod I downloaded from heaven was a dbPrestigeLevels.dat file (giving me 50 workers). I would love to have a look at that, but have no way of opening that except to use notepad, giving me a bunch of gibberish.
Prestige as such is no problem, as I can add as many items in world level as I want, and dole out as much prestige as I please, but that doesn't help me much overcoming the cap of 35/50 educated. SIGH
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:20 pm

Yahya, I printed and thoroughly read you manual on the editor. Great work! Used it extensively to start making my own map. Now that is fun work :)

One thing is not explained though. Nor in any other places or manuals I've been able to find. Prestige in an activation site.
So, there's XX standard prestige, XX minimum prestige, XX decay prestige.
I'm assuming that the 'standard' is the amount given when site is (de)activated. Then things decay (annoying). So, minimum would be the amount that you are eventually left with, will not decay further? And decay is the 'rate of decay'?
If I set decay to 0, it will not decay at all? Alternately, if I set standard and minimum to same value, it will also not decay, eliminating need for that entry??
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:42 am

Okay, I've learned a few things and reviewed a few things to refresh my memory.

First, I've learned that search and a lot of links are broken on this site. I don't know exactly when it was changed to this forum board but it was within the last month or so, and a lot of things are broken. That's making it very hard to search, and even if I use Google to search, the links result in an error even though I know the threads exist. Annoying.

Second, the huge file I am thinking of is called languagetext.txt (or possibly .ini). It contains all the people's first and last names, event names, names of gods, etc. Every piece of text from the game is in that file.

To control the max number of educated workers, the prestige levels, and the ratio of educated workers to prestige level, you need to edit the file dbPrestigeLevels.dat.

That requires a compiler of some sort that will open the CotN .dat files, and I can't remember what the program is that will do that, but I know it's posted somewhere on the forum. Unfortunately, search isn't working. If you can find a way to view the text of that file, you'll have what you're looking for.

Unfortunately, I don't have the game installed so I can't give you any more information than that.

Jytte

Postby Jytte » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:42 am

Hi Yahya, thank your for your response :)

Yes, I found out too that search is impossible, and all links are broken. This makes it very hard.

I did use the language.txt already, as I had changed out some of the plazas to suit my tastes and needs, I was annoyed by the text in the build menu being now wrong, so found it and changed that in language.txt. Found that bit of guidance in one of your posts from last year. Cool.

Yea, I have been looking for something to open/edit dbPrestigeLevels.dat, and I'll keep looking. There were already several mods here that would serve me well, but as the posts are very hard to find and links useless, I'm left with what's re-uploaded to Heaven, and that's practically nill.

It's all very vexing to be sure. As the game is still being sold out there, thus generating income for Tilted Mill, they could make an effort to keep this support site up and running :(

For now, I'm just scouring through any and all posts I can find, looking for pointers. Even after all these years, this is still a unique game, and the editor makes it really fun.

Thanks again Yahya. If I come up with something, I'll post it here.
Jytte (alias Ubekhet)

sakasiru

Postby sakasiru » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:43 am

Hi Jytte, (and hi Yahya, nice to see you're still around :D )

I recently dusted off my CotN Editor, after my son first discovered his love for egyptology and then my old CotN scenarios. After I playsd through Realms of the Gods with him, I thought about patching it up to Alexandria, enabling the great works and changing a few other things. Unfortunately, it has been quite a while since my great days of writing CotN scenarios, so I'm not sure I remember all of it :oops: But I'll try. Give me a few weeks to get into it, and I hopefully will be able to answer most of your questions.

Another approach is always trail & error. Just make yourself a small map and easy requirements for building an obelisk, and then just play around with the prestige decay numbers to see what will happen. If I recall correctly, every prestige will eventually fall to one (tombs, statues, steles and obelisks). This is to mirror the way great deeds will be forgotten over time, and to encourage new generations to build new things. As far as I know, you can't manipulate the decay rate of tombs and statues; but you can enter a number for prestige buildings (steles and obelisks) at the site where you "get" the memory for it. As far as I remember (and that doesn't mean much, it's been a few years...) the decay number means the minimum the prestige will fall to. So if your obelisk starts at 30 and the minimum is 20, the prestige will drop 10 points in the following years.

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:39 pm

Hey sakasiru,

Yes, I think you're right about the prestige mechanism. That sounds exactly like what I remember.

Return to “General Discussion”