Laborer A.I. bug...?

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
aztec11us

Laborer A.I. bug...?

Postby aztec11us » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:01 pm

hi all!

i have COTN + Alexandria.

i was playing a nice game on Son of Ra (an easy scenario...)

here is whats wrong, in my view:

i finished a small pyramid, focusing fully on it:
overseer + alot of laborers, went quick.

after finishing it, i put the overseer to quarry statues for a large statue.

but the workers/ laborers...wouldnt labor !!!

what gives ?!?

grrlgeek

Re: Laborer A.I. bug...?

Postby grrlgeek » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:28 am

Edit: I should point out that this is the forum for Medieval Mayor, not Children of the Nile. Perhaps a Mod will move the thread to the more appropriate location. In the meantime,

It's been a long time since I've played that scenario, or even CotN, but here are some things you can look at:

(I am assuming there is, in fact, a basalt site on the map)

Is the house of overseer assigned to statues occupied?
Have you placed the base of the large statue? (it must be placed first)
Do you have brickmakers and bricklayers and enough bricks to build the base?
Are bricks yet on the way to the statue site?
Do you have a stonecutter? Is his house occupied? Where is he on the map.. is he shopping, praying, at the doctor?
Is the basalt site on the same side of the river as both the statue site and your workers?
-If not, do you have operational barge landings on both shores?
Use the locate buttons on each worker and find out where they are. They may just be busy. If they're standing around "deciding what to do" for any length of time, I delete their house and build a new one.
Make sure you don't have the "pause" button clicked.

Let us know how it goes,

aztec11us

Postby aztec11us » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:29 pm

1) yes, game is active

2) yes, overseer was set to quarry basalt statues

3) yes, this was done AFTER the pyramid was fully completed and no, no other tasks ongoing at the same time

4) yes, the base for the statue was done...it was just awaiting a statue

5) yes, ofcourse i have stone carvers! how do you suppose i finished the pyramid ?!
i have 3 stone carvers in the proximity

6) since the map is Son of Ra - an easy map - all the quarry (basalt) is on SAME side as the statue (in fact, just as hort distance is between statue and the basalt quarry)

7) yes, my city if fully and well supplied with diverse food

8) yes, i have plenty of hospitals and temples...and yes, they are running

in fact, my city always reads that people are extremely pleased withy me.

9) no, no protests (certainly not from laborers or overseer or stone carvers)

i watched for 3 FULL seasons (planting / harvest / floods) .....the overseer goes to the quarry, does his gestures of pointing at the quarry

but the laborers do NOT work!!! they either just go get some food, buy some crap (i.e. linen etc), or simply hang arround, doing absolutely nothing!

there is no other settlement, or any other projects on the map...all i have is this city on the west bank (the bank with the quarry, on Son of Ra map)

so whats going on?

thanks alot

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:05 am

Howdy aztec11us!

Normally, I would ask for a game save to solve your problem. If you can do that it would be great. I am also gonna assume you have done the process before & know how it works. You said you built a small pyramid & that concerns me. Laborers love to quarry limestone & it is sometimes difficult to pull them off that job. More laborers will help with that issue.

The first question I ask is where does your overseer set to quarry basalt statues go? Does he go to the basalt quarry? Next question is where do the laborers go? Do they go to the quarry? If not where do they go? I'm wondering if they are going to a limestone quarry and are busy. And this creates a new question. Exactly how many laborers do you have? Tell me at least 8.

Next I want you to check your Resource Report & make sure you do not already have a statue. The game will not quarry more than the triggers you have fired which in this case is 1 large statue from completely building the statue base. The reason I ask is that SoR has TWO basalt quarries. You might have a large statue sitting at the other one and all you need to do is change your overseer to construct. SoR can act very strange. It can quarry small statues at one, but only quarry large at the other.

grrlgeek

Postby grrlgeek » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:42 am

aztec11us wrote:2) yes, overseer was set to quarry basalt statues
5) yes, ofcourse i have stone carvers! how do you suppose i finished the pyramid ?!
i have 3 stone carvers in the proximity
i watched for 3 FULL seasons (planting / harvest / floods) .....the overseer goes to the quarry, does his gestures of pointing at the quarry
but the laborers do NOT work!!! they either just go get some food, buy some crap (i.e. linen etc), or simply hang arround, doing absolutely nothing!

The suggestion I made, was to ensure that the houses of the associated workers are actually occupied. You can set an empty house to do anything you want... but it wont get done until someone lives there. Go to each of the homes and click on the home. Make sure a man lives there. Click on him to see where he is and what he is doing. If he is shopping, or at the temple, or seeing a doctor, he wont build anything for you until he is done. It also takes 4 laborers to perform 1 task. Make sure there are enough laborers available to get a group together to do the job.

aztec11us wrote:7) yes, my city if fully and well supplied with diverse food
8) yes, i have plenty of hospitals and temples...and yes, they are running
9) no, no protests (certainly not from laborers or overseer or stone carvers)

That's good... that says that your workers probably have the time to do the work, but, there is something preventing them from doing their task. Part of the fun of city building games is figuring out where we, the builders, made a mistake in laying out the city. You might want to change your direction of the overseer to "all construction." I personally find all that switching tedious, and building is smoother when I let them set their own schedules.

Keep digging, and let us know what you find out!

Return to “General Discussion”