Buildings and their uses

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
texasmine

Buildings and their uses

Postby texasmine » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:42 pm

I've been revisiting some of the older user-created scenarios and noticed that apparently only "Tyranny of the Gods" used the quay, a building the designer must put in place. Any idea if it actually functions as a market place or as a barge landing?

The other issue is the practicality of having the exchange; I usually don't build it because it seems to clog up the flow of goods. Am I missing an important element?

Keith

Re: Buildings and their uses

Postby Keith » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:44 pm

I rarely use them myself, but as I understand their function is that they serve as a distribution point to your shops and for the merchants to pickup their payment in trade in return. A manned functioning exchange allows the merchant to bring his goods to your city and the exchange will automatically transfer the right type of imported goods to the right shops in your city. The merchant picks up his payment there instead of having to wandering your city getting his payment from shops and bakeries before he leaves. Your shops will not have to go to the exchange to obtain the goods brought in, instead of having to go to cargo drop off point to obtain the desired imported item. It's been so long ago, that I've forgotten the actual definition of how the exchange functions, that the above is my best recollection of how it works.

From the manual:
" Shopkeepers can buy government-harvested resources at the city’s Exchanges, operated by scribes." p,14

" Scribes collect revenue from taxes on farming estates, tariffs on foreign merchant transactions, and fees for procurement of fine raw materials by private craftsmen at the Exchange." p.15

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:50 pm

If I'm not mistaken, a quay is built by placing a merchant exchange (I think that's the name of the area where out-of-town merchants set up) along the water.

Most people stopped using them because all merchants will go there and things get pretty clogged up. It was deemed better to use 1 or more exchanges and a bunch of barge landings to maximize throughput.

texasmine

Postby texasmine » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:56 pm

RE: EXCHANGES....wouldn't that require dedicated scribes? Seems that would be counter-productive to tax revenue. Thanks for the super-quick response

Yahya

Postby Yahya » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:34 pm

Just went to the CotN site to review, and I am thinking of the merchant center. This is the area where all foreign merchants will set up and it allows your people easier access to their wares.

If you have a scribe set to handle the merchant center you will get tax revenue, but it's nothing compares to assessing taxes on the fields. Late-game it's good to have 3-4 scribes on fields, 1-2 on merchants, and 1 on the exchange.

Quays are cool-looking since they're on the water, but all your merchants will set up right next to the water, far away from all your elite workers and nobles.

texasmine

Postby texasmine » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:07 pm

Since we last spoke, I've been watching the quay on Tyranny of the Gods. You are right, some of the merchants just loiter around the quay; some do go to the merchant centers, but they are few. Some merchant ships dock at the quay, but they seem to prefer the barge landings. Not efficient, to say the least. Again, thanks for the quick response. I LOVE THIS GAME (and Pharaoh, for that matter.) :D

Return to “General Discussion”