housing blocks....

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
angelisis

housing blocks....

Postby angelisis » Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:45 am

housing blocks and CotN....how do you think it will work?

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:58 am

It has been assessed that people and not buildings drive the dance in COTN, so house block meaning may have to be revisited.

Son of Moose

Postby Son of Moose » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:53 am

vic_4:

It has been assessed that people and not buildings drive the dance in COTN, so house block meaning may have to be revisited.

Yes --- indeed. :D

However, I suppose (hope), that some of our members might be prepared to share and to discuss some of their more "nifty" creations. :cool: Maybe one should look at aesthetics and interesting combinations of various structures and the like ... :D Also how to creatively "overcome" various potentially disadvantageous terrain layouts ... :D This could really be fascinating stuff and I really hope that there will eventually be a specific forum here for strategists and aspirant scenario designers. :D

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:51 pm

Remember they mentioned that a person in your city would find what they need on their own even it it meant they might have to travel some distance to find it, so "blocks" may not be feasable with the old sense of the meaning.
[url=mailto :d heitm8612@aol.com]Keith Heitmann[/url] a.k.a Nuthin-in-khamun
Listen to the music of the CityBuilders while online:
Caesar III Music Player•Pharaoh Music Jukebox•Zeus Music Jukebox•Emperor's Music Box•Children of the Nile Musicbox•
Children of the Nile & Quiz

wodinoneeye

Postby wodinoneeye » Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:59 am

There will still be groupings of certain buildings (ie- bunch of houses with a bakery/goods shops in close proximity and for richer houses nearby luxury shops and servant hovels)

Not sure at this point what other services (temples/shrines??) require close proximity (medical/legal/entertainment...)

The 'cells'/'blocks' wont be as fixed -- no stupid walkers/roadblock crap any more -- but various service providers must be located within certain distances
to maximize efficiency of inhabitants.

Son of Moose

Postby Son of Moose » Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:08 am

Wodinoneye:

These new HBs (I think that the name is still appropriate) should therefore permit a far more "freeform" level of creativity --- insofar as they will no longer be subject to the fairly rigid rules of the classic CB games. :D

This should permit some extremely interesting and novel designs (please refer to my comments above) ... :D

Hopefully Jayhawk (or whoever) can create a set of glyphs for us to use in order to illustrate ones creations and to explain the concepts behind the various HBs ... ;)

Maybe TM (if their talented artists have a bit of spare time now) could produce a complete series of glyphs (avatars) that could be pasted on MS Excel spreadsheets (please provide the correct cell sizes for a 1x1 space for us). This would be a great way of standardising HB layouts outside of the game ... so that we can readily share them :D

NeilV

Postby NeilV » Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:15 pm

Never used them realy or not planed one any way would just sick some house down and throw things roung the out side every now and then stick in a road block as my city grew would demolish and build back up if i needed more room always worked for me :D

Son of Moose

Postby Son of Moose » Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:53 pm

Just a slight amplification on my previous post above:

Although there will most certainly be any number of ways of building a "winning city" in CotN (as there were in the classic CB games), it would really be great if players were able to share their ideas of aesthetics with us (for example, forumer Azeem constructed some wonderful gardens in the clasic CB games).

It would be extremely interesting to see some of the following:

# Temple complex lay outs
# Ornate garden lay outs
# Anything else that CotN features

Some (or all) of these features could possibly eventually be featured (maybe with slight modifications) in a future dream city or even a series of dream cities. :D :D

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:17 pm

Son of Moose wrote:Just a slight amplification on my previous post above:

Although there will most certainly be any number of ways of building a "winning city" in CotN (as there were in the classic CB games), it would really be great if players were able to share their ideas of aesthetics with us (for example, forumer Azeem constructed some wonderful gardens in the clasic CB games).

It would be extremely interesting to see some of the following:

# Temple complex lay outs
# Ornate garden lay outs
# Anything else that CotN features

Some (or all) of these features could possibly eventually be featured (maybe with slight modifications) in a future dream city or even a series of dream cities. :D :D

All will be made clear very soon now.

Jacquou Le

Postby Jacquou Le » Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:59 pm

Keith wrote:All will be made clear very soon now.

10 more days... counting... :D :p

Son of Moose

Postby Son of Moose » Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:36 pm

Jacquou Le:

10 more days... counting... :D :p

30 more days here... counting... :D :p

hjarg

Postby hjarg » Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:51 pm

Son of Moose wrote:Jacquou Le:

30 more days here... counting... :D :p

Same here... grrr, i should be able to buy the bloody game from internet and just download it. I'm quite sure that bandwith costs a lot less then paper, plastic and whatever else is used with box. Plus it leaves out a lof of "middle men" who gain perpahs the most money...

Czech Centurian

Postby Czech Centurian » Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:33 pm

Still so long. Oh well look out for Christmass. :D

NanaBanana

Postby NanaBanana » Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:16 am

I may have to wait even longer than Christmas. Those greedy oil barons are eating way too much of my paycheck for me to think about buying a new game anytime soon. :mad:

NeilV

Postby NeilV » Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:33 am

Tell me about it my heating system is oil and this time last year i paid €XX and got 360lt of oil on friday for same amount i only got 280lt wich means i will have to fill again before christmas not after. :mad:

wodinoneeye

Postby wodinoneeye » Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:49 am

NeilV wrote:Never used them realy or not planed one any way would just sick some house down and throw things roung the out side every now and then stick in a road block as my city grew would demolish and build back up if i needed more room always worked for me :D

I didnt do it in Pharaoh either-- I was apalled seeing it mentioned in the Pharaoh website forums that such artificial methods were needed to get things to work. The dim witted walkers were just too lame (and the fact that what patches they did, did not fix stupidity like that).

Egypt would never have become great if their cities ran like that.....

wodinoneeye

Postby wodinoneeye » Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:53 am

hjarg wrote:Same here... grrr, i should be able to buy the bloody game from internet and just download it. I'm quite sure that bandwith costs a lot less then paper, plastic and whatever else is used with box. Plus it leaves out a lof of "middle men" who gain perpahs the most money...

Game companies may yet do that in the future (more profit for them OR better to compete with other game companies). But games are getting bigger and not smaller (3 gig soon - DVDs??) and broadband is still not common enough for alot of people to to download that way.

Lannes

Postby Lannes » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:08 am

angelisis wrote:housing blocks and CotN....how do you think it will work?

I'd say the whole housing block concept is a responseto the critical dependency on walkers distributing services. The old CBs to me always had an aspect of trying to fit an "ideal city (block) layout" into a (therefore) "interfering landscape".

In CotN, with people going out and getting what they need, I think there won't be nearly as much of an incentive to arrange houses into a specific pattern. There will be much more freedom (read necessity if you think in terms of optimizing) to adapt city layout to the landscape.

Lannes

NeilV

Postby NeilV » Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:05 pm

you make create more of a village type area with shops to catter for the people in the area so that you create poor araes and richer areas

Janmeryet

Postby Janmeryet » Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:44 pm

I've always loved designing and using blocks, regardless of whether I actually need to use a block or not. I suspect this will be a little more like Anno, where houses need to be within an approximate service area, but with more flexibility. I daresay I will still use some kind of block as I like my cities to be quite symmetrical and organised. I can't wait to see what people come up with :)

Return to “General Discussion”