What scenario are you going to play next?...

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
sitearm

What scenario are you going to play next?...

Postby sitearm » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:19 pm

Am thinking now about going to a quiet little sandbox scenario and not trying to "accomplish" anything except plant a few buildings, follow a few citizens, explore making more natural-looking city layouts, and try a more relaxed playing approach.

* shudders at posts about Sheshonq's Redemption "race" scenario *
* sounds like what I've been doing all along :p *

Reading posts about "not stopping and saving and going back" but "keeping going no matter what" made me go "huh?" But there are a lot of those posts and it's got me curious.

So... what's got you curious and what are you going to try next?

* shopping for ideas *

GillB

Postby GillB » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:25 pm

I'm following the campaign and have just started on Djedu. I much prefer a scenario with definite goals rather than a sandbox.

koppi

Postby koppi » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:45 pm

@sitearm9
try out a start without nobles! It´s funny how far you can go and what a great and satiesfied city you can build without them.

Mack the Knife

Postby Mack the Knife » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:45 pm

what are you going to try next?

Pirates! 2

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:59 am

I am trying grand campaign on hard and I am in Shedet.

sitearm

For that natural, 100% organic, no preservatives look...

Postby sitearm » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:54 pm

@Y'all: As promised I'm trying a new play plan. Opened Son of Ra sandbox and began placing stuff where the camera starts. None of that landscape scannin' etc. Just start'n'play.

One fun condition I'm trying is placing everything "on the diagonal". Also trying for a "natural" organic look vs. rectangular. Also no roads or plazas added. (I DO turn the grid off'n'on <ctrl><g> to TRY to make sure there's space for doors etc.) Also playing on "hard" level.

I have "discovered" :rolleyes: the game keeps running if I keep it off pause while jumping to check the forums. Also, zoomed in closer, I am hearing more of those cool comments the citizens make in passing. Even hear them now, typing this!

I 'spect this "natural organic" project at 1.0 speed will take a quite a while so will probably work on some other CotN project ideas in parallel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Son of Moose

Postby Son of Moose » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:57 pm

Sitearm9:

I would be interested to see how it turns out. :)

Perhaps you can try out some "new" and interesting configurations? :cool:

sitearm

Sitearm... the crunchy dynasty?

Postby sitearm » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:31 pm

* background: "crunchy" as in granola as in natural health food freeks as in goes overboard on environment'n'stuff :D *

Well, Sitearm I died without tomb but no one's upset because brick tombs kinda' clutter up the place. Everyone is happy with the downtown area. Ten shops are meetin' needs and provide a central gathering place for LOTS of entertaining gossip and comments. The two nobles and their farms are growing enough to feed all and spare. The two priests are covering the basics.

Sitearm II is happily in place toolin' around the joint. The town voted to start a great pyramid way in the back behind them. They just built a place for an Overseer. Everyone realizes they'll be long dead before it's ever done. But they feel it's important for the town to have a common vision they can all work toward.

The town sent scouts to check the world map but nothing there interested them. The Isolationist Party is the townhall consensus. Families all have custom names and are keeping scrupulous genealogy records for their descendants. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sitearm on Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:52 pm

I just finished Shedet, which is hard but lot of fun and I am beginning Pi Ramess.

sitearm

Postby sitearm » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:55 pm

Vic_4: Good gawd... in only 12 years?! :eek: Congrats! ;)

vic_4 wrote:I just finished Shedet, which is hard but lot of fun and I am beginning Pi Ramess.

catgoddess83

Postby catgoddess83 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:28 am

Hi All
I just finished The Grand Campaign for the first time; played mostly moderate cities. Love goals; but the papyrus levels in the last one almost drove me nuts. :eek: (But I did get some outstanding prestige as I built things like a crazy woman) ;)
Cat

G-Force

Postby G-Force » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:27 am

Congratulations of finishing it. Do you have any editor ambitions? Or are you gonna crank up the difficulty?

G-Force

sitearm

Trubble in River City...

Postby sitearm » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:12 pm

Continuing our Sitearm Sity Saga...

Sitearm II has passed. Again no tomb: The "greens" still rock and brick mastabas are still not "the thing".

Sitearm III is in power but hasn't done anything except go with the flow. Some think he may be "a few bricks shy of a load", if you know what I mean...

The Great Pyramid is started and it's had a bit of an impact on things. The new laborers sited at the edge of the city lobbied for, and got, a second set of common shops so the housewives didn't have to walk so far.

Everyone's excited because the princesses are shopping at the laborer shops! Some think they're a bit "hoity toity" and others wonder what's with those droop-backed excuses for "retainers" they take everywhere. Are they "retainers" or something else (meow!). There's a rumor the princesses ran away from some other cities, whose Royal Houses are now desperate for someone to do the shopping. Guess they didn't pay enough attention to their princesses, aye? ;)

Back at "downtown central" the potter's wife was found indoors in a daze, walking repeatedly into a wall. They had to break in the door to get her out of there. She's at the apothecary now... priest says it's nip and tuck and will get back to us. In the meantime, we've rebuilt the shop and hope the pottery shortage will soon be over.

The sandalmakers have been marvelous... turns out the closest leather is MILES away at a remote village. But they patiently walk walk walk to the cattle and (it's not pretty) "harvest" that leather and bring it back.

All the luxury shopkeepers wish they had a LITTLE more business... have a lot of things to sell now... more than they like to keep in stock.

Its good news bad news about the new laborer neighborhood... no one's complaining about the long walk to the pyramid site. But the laborer positions were filled by children from the common shops and the other kids are saying, like, what about US? We want to move out and get a life too! The "greens" are saying, like, too much growth wouldn't be PRUDENT. The kids are saying, like, what's your POINT?!

Frankly there was a little "petty jealousy" because the Noble kids got the cush jobs as priests and overseer even though the luxury shop kids were going to school too. It cleared up a bit when the shrine priest left town and one of the kids moved in. (The priest left VERY suddenly and was last seen and heard muttering, gotta' get a life!... gotta' get a wife!)

But the elders are keeping their eyes on the situation. Maybe there's some benefit to that world map after all... let the more ambitious kids move outta' town and sow some wild oats... come back when they're ready to settle down.

One last bit... the laborers report in excited tones what looks like a "secret passage" in the blueprints for the great pyramid. No one in town's ever worked on one before (stories of great pyramids built elsewhere by "gamergods" are discounted here). We expect the local papyrus mill will include updates on this regularly... as soon as we get one.

That's all from Sitearm Sity for Now!
Last edited by sitearm on Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mayati

Postby Mayati » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:23 am

uhhhh Sitearm ... I can find the names of some psychiatrists ....

Seriously .... I worry about you sometimes....

LOL

NilePlanckton

Postby NilePlanckton » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:42 am

Wow... man... they have custom names! "Leslie house" in one of the screenshots! HAHAHAHA! A traditional egyptian name, eh? :D

But seriously... keep posting more about your city. It's great so far! :D

NanaBanana

Postby NanaBanana » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:56 am

Methinks sitearm has wayyyyyyy too much time on his (her) hands. :eek:

[QUOTE=NilePlanckton[ Wow... man... they have custom names! "Leslie house" in one of the screenshots! HAHAHAHA! A traditional egyptian name, eh? [/QUOTE]

During the beta it was suggested that we rename some of the villagers and track them as they move through society. Mayhap Leslie is the oft spoken of daughter who thinks the princesses need different clothes?

sitearm

Up'n'Down In River Town...

Postby sitearm » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:08 am

Continuing our Sitearm Sity Saga...

Sitearm III made major inroads on Thebes "the crunchy city". He got buy-in to build mastabas by agreeing to put them WAY out in the back desert in a hidden gully.

Now all the Nobles have tombs and the bricklayers are in EXCELLENT physical shape from the long commute. The laborers and bricklayers share gossip and enjoy each others' company on their daily walks to the building sites.

Speaking of laborers, Sitearm III got an EXCELLENT deal outsourcing limestone quarrying. Our lads grumbled at first... said they had the expertise in-house and outsourcin' would take bread from the mouths of their families.

Our lads were quarryin' fools OK, but it turns out the switching cost between quarrying, quarrying, and constructing was putting a lot of strain on Overseer Bob. With the new deal, everyone can stay focused on jes' buildin'! The traders even drop off the blocks RIGHT NEXT to the ramp. Couldn't ask for better!

Course, we had to grow extra food and build a granary to hold it to have enough to trade for the limestone. No problem! We've doubled our labor force and provided jobs for all the youngin's who wanted to leave home.

There have been some interesting times while all this happened... the Date Picking Festival... the Big Flood... and more...

Folks liked Sitearm III so much they wanted to honor him for it and quarried a great big obelisk. Turns out it was timely as the big III passed. His obelisk overlooks the big green valley and commemorates his accomplishment opening the big limestone deal. Wotta' guy!

Folks are hoping things will settle back down now... they're a little worried about the environmental impact of this further growth... have to keep up appearances now... and of course work on the great pyramid continues each day...

That is all for now...
Last edited by sitearm on Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

sitearm

Son of Ra sandbox completed... Screenshots...

Postby sitearm » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:16 am

@Y'all: Son of Ra Sandbox completed and Keeping It Green In Thebes StorySet posted here. It's an ambitious set and the first 'story' I've posted. Hope you enjoy and please continue to share ideas for next scenario, goals etc. :)

Re the scenario completed:
  • Tried several folks' suggestions especially about slower gameplay and more natural layouts
  • Added own ideas
Re what scenario to play next:
  • I suspect I will go back to watercrossing construction projects using barges now with the patch in place... but where oh where to set that up? Hmm... :rolleyes:

sitearm

Next scenario? Style of play? Custom game?

Postby sitearm » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:09 pm

1. Have seen several posts about completed scenarios! Yee Haw! * arm pump! *

2. So... what's got you curious and what are you going to try next?

* scenario or campaign aspect... *
* play style... *
* custom map... *

* wants new ideas... :D *

FieryDove

Postby FieryDove » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:54 pm

NanaBanana wrote:During the beta it was suggested that we rename some of the villagers and track them as they move through society.

I did that to my noble...The man of the house died! Then his wife remarried and changed her name. So I am not doing that again...well not really lol...Was just funny on my first go at it that had to happen. :eek: :D

Return to “General Discussion”