A few questions... :)

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
Psylocke

A few questions... :)

Postby Psylocke » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:32 pm

Hello!

I just downloaded and played the demo, and it's quite interesting!
I have a few questions though, that i hope someone could answer before I buy the game.

How does warfare work? Can you guide your troops (if this is avaliable in the game?) against the enemy or raiders, or will they seek them out themselves?

How many different scenarios are there included on the CD, and how long do you reckon each scenario takes to complete?

In the demo version, the servants looks like floating zombies when they're following their masters. Is this like this in the actual game, and does the patch/update fix this problem? It's quite annoying.

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:45 pm

Warfare modelling is minimal as it is in all the citybuilder games. Your troops will attack any raiders in your city that come in close proximity, as will your city guards. In military expeditions out of the city you must send the proper number and types of troops with a commander to insure success, but all combat is off-map and not controlled by the player nor is it visible. You do have to equip your troops with the proper weapons like armor, khopesh, chariots, archery, or basic weapons from a weapons maker.

There are about a dozen scenarios in the game. Each one can take anywhere from as little as 3 hours to complete to days depending on the speed at which you play the game and how much you you accomplish in each session and how long you play each session. I'm well versed in the game and can usually complete a scenario in about 3-4 hours playing straight through on a high game speed setting.

Many of the glitches you may see in the demo have been fixed or at least lessened. There is nothing that should keep you from enjoying the game though.

One thing to keep in mind that the demo was created using a few of the small tutorial missions in the game. The other maps are much bigger and may not run on a computer that isn't up to snuff. COTN requires a DX9 compliant video and sound card with current drivers, etc. Many people have had to upgrade or update their hardware or drivers or both on their computers to get the game to run. A quick look on the technical support board will show you what I mean, but don't let that scare you off. On a properly equipped computer the game looks wonderful and plays very nicely.

See the system requirements for the game here:

http://www.immortalcities.com/cotn/gameinfo/faq.php#fq11

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:55 pm

Keith wrote:There are about a dozen scenarios in the game.

Keith is not boasting well enough on this point.

15 different missions divided into three campaigns (but not really campaigns). Easy, moderate & hard is what they are called. Five missions each.

Then there are 3 "sandbox" missions, but they are not really sandbox. They do not have victory requirements, but they play as if there were goals. Things to achieve on the world map, which would give you a victory screen in a campaign mission.

2 more "advanced" missions.

That makes 20 total. Then there are additional missions to download direct from TM & in our user-created scenario forum section & elsewhere on the internet.

Two real difficulty levels to play at.

Whoops! ~ The game has a third tutorial mission which could be thought of as a 21st mission. It deals with the rest of the game & introduces Overseers & Commanders in a new city along with trade, warfare, monument building, the World Map & transport along the river.
Last edited by MarkDuffy on Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

angelisis

Postby angelisis » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:11 am

when you have finished all that, of course you can play the user created scenario's wich are great. :D

Kenneth M. Hinds

Postby Kenneth M. Hinds » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:24 pm

Psylocke wrote:In the demo version, the servants looks like floating zombies when they're following their masters. Is this like this in the actual game, and does the patch/update fix this problem? It's quite annoying.

Since no one else directly addressed this question, I will. If, by floating you mean walking above the ground instead of on it, then you should see an improvement, with a properly equiped machine. If your graphics card will not internally handle T&L (Transform and Lighting) then you don't have a proper graphics card and even though the game may run, you might still see graphical weirdness.

Now, if your complaint is about the hunched over Zombie look to the servants, then no that is not corrected in the game by a patch or anything else. That is a visual characteristic of Servants. Farmers have other visual characteristics as do nearly every other profession in the game. This allows you to quickly identify the basic character type without a lot of muss and fuss. I play the game on the slowest speed possible, but most people do not and without some obvious visual clue it would most likely make the game very difficult to play for those other people.

Ken

Bugsy

Postby Bugsy » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:28 pm

[QUOTE=Psylocke]Hello!
How many different scenarios are there included on the CD, and how long do you reckon each scenario takes to complete?

[\QUOTE]

Hiyas! Welcome to the forums!

I don't think anyone said how long they take yet, but the scenarios take me 1-3 days each, depending on the difficulty, and whether or not I have to wait to have a pyramid built. I also usually play the scenario a bit longer after the victory screen, because often I get the screen before I finished opening up all the world sites. It is also not mentioned here yet that every scenario is a sandbox scenario. You can play it as long as you like even after the victory screen.

The game has countless play hours. It's not a game you'll put down in the next six months after you buy it, nor will you beat it in a day like most on the market are for me. :D

maucat

Postby maucat » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:42 pm

The game has countless play hours. It's not a game you'll put down in the next six months after you buy it, nor will you beat it in a day like most on the market are for me.

I think it's called obsession :D

vic_4

Postby vic_4 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:56 pm

maucat wrote:The game has countless play hours. It's not a game you'll put down in the next six months after you buy it, nor will you beat it in a day like most on the market are for me.

I think it's called obsession :D

I beganto play the game in beta test and I have not yet stopped, if it can give an idea of how good the game is.

Psylocke

Postby Psylocke » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:59 pm

A big thank you to everyone who responded!

Bought the game the day before yesterday and have played practically non-stop since then ^^; :D

jpatrickk

Postby jpatrickk » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:02 am

I agree with all Keith said, and would only add that when you buy the game be sure to play the tutorials. They will give you insights into how the game differes from other CB games you might have played in the past. Those old rules are irrelivent in CotN.

Once you get immerced in the game, and believe me, you will, you will develope your own sty of play based on your preferences for how you want your cities to look. This forum is magic so use it frequently. Not only is it fun, but the people here are friendly, informative, entertaining, and helpful. I have never seen anyone disparrage a question by a newbie, no matter how many times that question has been asked. This is probably the nicest forum I have ever encountered in my years of gaming.

Be sure to read the threads and learn from them. Looking at the scenarios and shots of cities that the players have submitted will give you lots of ideas as to different ways of building your cities. I have learned a lot and have developed better cities from just seeing what others have done.

I think if I have one criticism of the game it would be that it cn get a little boring sometimes. when you have a citiy established, and the people are relativly happy and prosperous and you are building a giant pyrimid, it take lots of time. It takes very little to keep a successful and prospeous city ticking along so there isn't much to do. I usually put it in the background and surf the net only checking in occasionally to make sure some disaster hasn't upset the balance.

You will love this game and the forum.

Keith wrote:Warfare modelling is minimal as it is in all the citybuilder games. Your troops will attack any raiders in your city that come in close proximity, as will your city guards. In military expeditions out of the city you must send the proper number and types of troops with a commander to insure success, but all combat is off-map and not controlled by the player nor is it visible. You do have to equip your troops with the proper weapons like armor, khopesh, chariots, archery, or basic weapons from a weapons maker.

There are about a dozen scenarios in the game. Each one can take anywhere from as little as 3 hours to complete to days depending on the speed at which you play the game and how much you you accomplish in each session and how long you play each session. I'm well versed in the game and can usually complete a scenario in about 3-4 hours playing straight through on a high game speed setting.

Many of the glitches you may see in the demo have been fixed or at least lessened. There is nothing that should keep you from enjoying the game though.

One thing to keep in mind that the demo was created using a few of the small tutorial missions in the game. The other maps are much bigger and may not run on a computer that isn't up to snuff. COTN requires a DX9 compliant video and sound card with current drivers, etc. Many people have had to upgrade or update their hardware or drivers or both on their computers to get the game to run. A quick look on the technical support board will show you what I mean, but don't let that scare you off. On a properly equipped computer the game looks wonderful and plays very nicely.

See the system requirements for the game here:

http://www.immortalcities.com/cotn/gameinfo/faq.php#fq11

maucat

Postby maucat » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:56 pm

jpatrickk wrote:I agree with all Keith said, and would only add that when you buy the game be sure to play the tutorials. They will give you insights into how the game differes from other CB games you might have played in the past. Those old rules are irrelivent in CotN.

Once you get immerced in the game, and believe me, you will, you will develope your own sty of play based on your preferences for how you want your cities to look. This forum is magic so use it frequently. Not only is it fun, but the people here are friendly, informative, entertaining, and helpful. I have never seen anyone disparrage a question by a newbie, no matter how many times that question has been asked. This is probably the nicest forum I have ever encountered in my years of gaming.

Be sure to read the threads and learn from them. Looking at the scenarios and shots of cities that the players have submitted will give you lots of ideas as to different ways of building your cities. I have learned a lot and have developed better cities from just seeing what others have done.

I think if I have one criticism of the game it would be that it cn get a little boring sometimes. when you have a citiy established, and the people are relativly happy and prosperous and you are building a giant pyrimid, it take lots of time. It takes very little to keep a successful and prospeous city ticking along so there isn't much to do. I usually put it in the background and surf the net only checking in occasionally to make sure some disaster hasn't upset the balance.

You will love this game and the forum.

I totally agree with you, jpatrickk, especially the bit about this being the nicest forum around. I do sometimes wish, however, that the victory screen wouldn't appear quite as quickly as it does with some scenarios as I tend to get a bit bored once all goals and objectives have been achieved and I am then just building 'pretty'. Pity we can't have different levels of achievment in each of the scenarios to maintain further stimulation and interest.

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:17 pm

maucat wrote:I totally agree with you, jpatrickk, especially the bit about this being the nicest forum around. I do sometimes wish, however, that the victory screen wouldn't appear quite as quickly as it does with some scenarios as I tend to get a bit bored once all goals and objectives have been achieved and I am then just building 'pretty'. Pity we can't have different levels of achievment in each of the scenarios to maintain further stimulation and interest.

That might be interesting....multiple levels of achievement within one scenario...basic, moderate, and grand...or something similar. Moderate goals would only reveal themselves after the basic mission goals have been met. The player can then decided to quit there or play on. Grand goals would appear after the basic and moderate goals had been met and the player could quit or play on.

As long as basic goals were met, the mission would be regarded as completed. If one came back to play on from a completed mission save, he would then be able to press on for the moderate and grand goals.

Return to “General Discussion”