Natural Disasters

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
Atlantean Relic

Postby Atlantean Relic » Thu May 27, 2004 4:20 am

Don't forget about the raids by rabid Camels ;)

Elvenwarrior2001
Location: Central California in a town no one has ever heard of...;)

Postby Elvenwarrior2001 » Thu May 27, 2004 4:56 am

Oooh...that'd be kewl. ;) They're awnry critters. Huge llamas with an attitude problem...and I thought llamas were bad... :eek:

Elven

Niempie

Postby Niempie » Thu May 27, 2004 10:53 am

Keith wrote:This time I'm talking about a real storm for the game. Might be a interesting effect. Raging storms burying all in its path and all.

I would like that. And after the sandstorm you see the people clean up all their houses and all the roads. :p

G-Force

Postby G-Force » Thu May 27, 2004 3:07 pm

It might even alter the terrain, it could have expanded some elevations, closed some waterpools with sand and it wouldn't be very good for the crops either.

G-Force

Miut

Postby Miut » Fri May 28, 2004 12:19 am

The deserts were some way outside the Nile fertile strips, if I remember my geopgraphy of the area, so sand storms would only affect trade routes or military operations.

I did wish I could do something about the swarms of locusts and frogs, though..like put nets on the harvest, or at least gather in what I could before they hit some fields.. that would be realistic. As for the frogs.. hmm... I was never sure what on earth I was supposed to do about the frogs or the red water etc.. apart from just suffer them.. I know they were supposed to be the Moses plagues, but all the same... ;)

Atlantean Relic

Postby Atlantean Relic » Fri May 28, 2004 12:39 am

Frog legs taste like chicken :D

Miut

Postby Miut » Fri May 28, 2004 12:53 am

Ewww.. I didn't need to know that... :( Now I have visions of all these little legless froggies on crutches, begging for food....

Elvenwarrior2001

Postby Elvenwarrior2001 » Fri May 28, 2004 6:11 am

What I really wonder is...if frogs legs taste like chicken...what does the rest of the frog look like? :confused: It must be real gross...I've never heard of people eating the rest of them, they're just sadistic. Leaving frogs cripples for life (or lack there of)! ;)

Elven

Jayhawk

Postby Jayhawk » Fri May 28, 2004 7:37 am

Hmm, they throw away the rest of the (by then dead) frogs.

Floating pyramids on the Nile

Surfing pyramids?

Fondly remembers Caesar 3's surfing sheep :cool:

As for earthquakes, I think I actually remember there are occasional earthquakes in Egypt. Sand storms, I agree with Miut, would probably not hit the Nile settlements full force, but the outlying settlements might get into trouble.

G-Force

Postby G-Force » Fri May 28, 2004 9:22 am

There were also settlements by oasisses in the desert. They could get hit by a full storm.

G-Force

Atlantean Relic

Postby Atlantean Relic » Fri May 28, 2004 4:09 pm

Well if you end up with a house full of them you might as well make the best of it. Now as to what to do with the rest of the frog, Cat food sounds like a good choice.

Elvenwarrior2001

Postby Elvenwarrior2001 » Sat May 29, 2004 12:20 am

But remember...cats were sacred. Wouldn't they get food superior to human food? ;)

Elven

G-Force

Postby G-Force » Sat May 29, 2004 9:11 am

In stead of the froglegs, they get the body and head. The body and head are in a superior position to the legs :)

G-Force

Elvenwarrior2001

Postby Elvenwarrior2001 » Sat May 29, 2004 9:23 am

That reminds me of my biology...certain body parts I can think of were labeled as superior and inferior. I just figure...if ones inferior, why not replace it with a replica of the superior? ;)

Elven

EmperorJay

Postby EmperorJay » Sat May 29, 2004 10:49 am

Back to the storms and disasters. I'm not calling for a Nile filled with blood, or an enormous swarm of locusts. But surely some part of the harvest got destroyed by insects, mice and the occasional bad-weather-day.

I hope they'll incorparotate small disasters, like a sandstorm and an lots of rain along with eartquakes and floods (which would be major disasters).

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Sat May 29, 2004 11:57 am

Miut wrote:The deserts were some way outside the Nile fertile strips, if I remember my geopgraphy of the area, so sand storms would only affect trade routes or military operations.

The fertile green area is rather narrow, except for the delta area. I don't think that some 10 kilometres or less makes any obstacle against sandstorms. Sandstorms can last several weeks, not just one or two days; actually the spring time sandstorms are called Khamsin which means roughly 50. This January, because of the weather with rain and sandstorms, the visibility was reduced to zero and thus several airports from Alexandria to Aswan and the Suez Canal were closed. Some people lost their lives. And all this when people have modern technology to help them.

In many cases the sand helped to preserve temples to our times, by burying them. The Temple of Edfu, which every guide book refers as "the best preserved temple in all of Egypt", was covered with sand almost to its ceiling. If you are interested, lithographs by David Roberts are very nice. He made his sketches in actual places in Egypt in 1838-1839 and they were first published in London in 1842.

Sandstorms are no minor thing for people in Egypt, but how they would be in the game, is another thing. I still hope there are some sort of natural disasters, perhaps in connection with the happiness of the people or of the gods or both. :)

G-Force

Postby G-Force » Sat May 29, 2004 2:42 pm

How can the people cause a sandstrom when they are unhappy? The gods can have that power offcourse, pending on the damage it does it could be a small or big curse.

G-Force

vovan

Postby vovan » Sat May 29, 2004 5:48 pm

Elvenwarrior2001 wrote:I just figure...if ones inferior, why not replace it with a replica of the superior?

Because you wouldn't want an extra two heads sticking out instead of the legs, now would you? ;)

EmperorJay wrote:I hope they'll incorparotate small disasters, like a sandstorm and an lots of rain

I'm all for that. :D Image

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Sat May 29, 2004 6:38 pm

G-Force, you're right, I put it obscurely.

If you neglect your people's needs badly, they may become very unhappy and abandon your city, but also one of the gods, let's say Bastet, might send you some sort of disaster to point out your negligence of homes. Bastet is the cat headed goddess, and as cats, she has her gentle and fierce sides.

I'm for disasters, not too severe, and not too often. It would be nice to have a big variety of them, I like surprises too. :p (In Caesar3, if your resources were short, you could leave Neptun without attention, if your city was inland).

Uatch-Khepheru

Postby Uatch-Khepheru » Sat May 29, 2004 8:17 pm

Hey, what if some of the disasters were more oriented to the inner workings of your city?, say a building collapses or something. What would be cool is if you were building a pyramid and one of the ramps collapses, sending the blocks of stone, and those that were carrying them, to their deaths. Or maybe someone took off all the locks on the cages of the local jackal pen, meh heh heh... :D

Return to “General Discussion”