Natural Disasters

Everything Children of the Nile that doesn't fit elsewhere
vovan

Postby vovan » Sat May 29, 2004 8:47 pm

Well, these kinds of "disasters" were in some previous games, I believe. The collapsing building is common - don't build any inspectors and you'll get plenty of that. :)

As far as escaping animals, if you didn't have high enough funding, the animals would escape the menagerie in Emperor. Don't know if that would have been the case in previous games. (Cleo had some sort of zoo or so?)

As far as a collapsing ramp goes - that would be... interesting. ;) (Maybe I am having hallucinations, but didn't people fall off the sphinx when working on its head in Pharaoh?)

Keith

Postby Keith » Sat May 29, 2004 9:43 pm

vovan wrote:Well, these kinds of "disasters" were in some previous games, I believe. The collapsing building is common - don't build any inspectors and you'll get plenty of that. :)

As far as escaping animals, if you didn't have high enough funding, the animals would escape the menagerie in Emperor. Don't know if that would have been the case in previous games. (Cleo had some sort of zoo or so?)

As far as a collapsing ramp goes - that would be... interesting. ;) (Maybe I am having hallucinations, but didn't people fall off the sphinx when working on its head in Pharaoh?)

Remember the stone carvers on the obelisks on Pharaoh. They would periodically fall off the platform. :eek: Construction accidents would add some interest to the game.
Keith Heitmann
[url=mailto :d heitm8612@aol.com]dheitm8612@aol.com[/url]
Pharaoh Music Jukebox

Miut

Postby Miut » Sat May 29, 2004 9:59 pm

Bastet came in much later, Sekhmet was the original feline goddess, also called the Eye of Ra and often referred to as his daughter.
The dog was domesticated long before the cat was, thus it took longer for the idea of the domestic feline Bastet goddess to emerge. Until then, the grain stores were subjected to the depradations of rats and mice in a big way, yes.

I have a great British Museum Press book on the Cat in Ancient Egyptian Religion which traces the probable geneology of the now familiar domestic cats. Again, it is in transit to me from the UK right now.. :(
Tomb paintings reflect this as once again, they can date the appearance of the cat in paintings, always under the Queen's throne, just as the dog is always shown with the king.

Elvenwarrior2001
Location: Central California in a town no one has ever heard of...;)

Postby Elvenwarrior2001 » Sat May 29, 2004 10:48 pm

vovan wrote:Because you wouldn't want an extra two heads sticking out instead of the legs, now would you? ;)

I'm all for that. :D Image

Hehe...I was just kidding. ;) Playing on the words... :p

Elven

vovan

Postby vovan » Sun May 30, 2004 9:08 pm

Keith wrote:[QUOTE=vovan](Maybe I am having hallucinations, but didn't people fall off the sphinx when working on its head in Pharaoh?)
Remember the stone carvers on the obelisks on Pharaoh. They would periodically fall off the platform.[/QUOTE]

Ah, so I am not having hallucinations, though it was the construction of the obelisk and not the Sphinx where the accidents happened. :)

-------

Nice info, Miut. Interesting bits of knowledge as always. Thanks. :)

Miut

Postby Miut » Mon May 31, 2004 6:54 pm

Thank you, kind sir. I enjoy reading and seeing what Keith puts up. :D

Elvenwarrior2001
Location: Central California in a town no one has ever heard of...;)

Postby Elvenwarrior2001 » Mon May 31, 2004 11:05 pm

I like reading what a lot of people put up, not just one guy. ;) Actually, Vovan has mentioned some interesting stuff and made some interesting points IMO. ;)

Elven

Miut

Postby Miut » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:01 am

He sure does, and so do many others. I didn't mean to infer I don't read and enjoy all the posts in topics that interest me! Heck, I enjoy it all here! It's so nice to be able to get into discussions about Egyptian culture in depth, and to learn even more about it from fellow enthusiasts! ;) But I am not going to list all the people I pay special attention to - far too many of you here fit that category and have that knowledge. ;)

Jacquou Le

Postby Jacquou Le » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:49 am

Make avalanche in Egypt :confused: , oops!!! Did I say something? :D Ok... ok... don't beat me, I'm leaving :p

Miut

Postby Miut » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:05 am

They did have the odd earthquake as a pylon was damaged toreveal an in-fill of a temple of Akhenaten's demolished by his successors.. ;)

Uatch-Khepheru

Postby Uatch-Khepheru » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:18 pm

Miut wrote:They did have the odd earthquake as a pylon was damaged toreveal an in-fill of a temple of Akhenaten's demolished by his successors.. ;)

Also, there was the earthquake at the temple of Abu Simbel around year 20 of Ramses II's reign, when it was still being constructed. The giant face fell off and it took alot of effort to put the head back on (from what I remember reading about this), they didn't bother carving a new head, but simply filled it in with plaster and put it on the shoulders of the statue of Ramses, of which there are four I think. Come to think of it, it might have been a simple worker's accident that attributed to the collapse of the head, but it was on or another, pretty sure it was the earthquake, though.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:41 pm

In addition to what Uatch-Khepheru said:

An earthquake in the 31st year of Ramesses' reign caused a great deal of damage to the Abu Simbel temple. The pillars of the Hypostyle Hall cracked and one collapsed. The right arm of the colossus to the right of the doorway fell off, while the upper part of the statue on the left crashed to the ground. Paser, viceroy of Kush, ordered the restoration of the temple and all but the upper part of the statue was restored. This was still lying where it had fallen when the temple was rediscovered. When the temple was moved to its present position in the 1960s, the statue was left "broken" as it was found.

Jayhawk

Postby Jayhawk » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:46 am

They did have the odd earthquake as a pylon was damaged toreveal an in-fill of a temple of Akhenaten's demolished by his successors..
An earthquake hit Cairo a week after I left in '92. While it didn't damage the monuments, the housing was less lucky.

Return to “General Discussion”