Memory leak or not?

For technical or performance related issues
Kuplo

Memory leak or not?

Postby Kuplo » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:38 am

So Im happily playing along now that I've reinstalled Vista and have only hit a population of 3750 and the game halts on me. I can't get to the desktop so I hit ctrl alt del a couple times and Vista brings up the screen finally asking me what I wish to do and I choose to open the task manager.

Task manager shows me that the game is consuming 1.3GB or memory. All that I can do is to kill the Simcity Societies.exe process which I do.

I then restart the game load up the last save which was fortunately only done a few moments before the game stopped responding and it's now only consuming 533k.

So what if not a memory leak caused the game to consume 1.3GB or memory and then crash? My guess is that there really is a serious memory leak since I hadn't even been playing for much more than an hour and a half.

Lilbluesmurf

Postby Lilbluesmurf » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:02 am

Just so you guys know. If you experience the freeze + mouse still moves things, if you hit F5 the quick save WILL work so you don't lose progress. Unfortunately once it happens once you've already done whatever is causing the problem so it will freeze again once memory is maxed, but at least you can save where you're at.

I think that the problem is more related to the buildings than sim count though, as people can get to pretty high sim counts with no problems, but I am doing a "one of everything" map for reference and it bombs about every 10 minutes. I don't think I'm even at half of all the buildings yet either.

FomarTHain

Postby FomarTHain » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:47 pm

Lilbluesmurf wrote:I think that the problem is more related to the buildings than sim count though, as people can get to pretty high sim counts with no problems, but I am doing a "one of everything" map for reference and it bombs about every 10 minutes. I don't think I'm even at half of all the buildings yet either.

Exactly. I agree as well. I built two large "Normal" cities (one up to 16,000 people) with no crash or problem what so ever. Now I am trying to build a large city with "Show All" and I am crashing every 10-15 minutes.

Morpheus121073

Postby Morpheus121073 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:27 pm

Already stated before that there is a memory leak, did a lot of stress testing on this game on 3 different systems and can 100% confirm that there is a big memory leak, i placed my findings on this board and on the EA board last week already.

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:31 pm

Morpheus121073 wrote:Already stated before that there is a memory leak, did a lot of stress testing on this game on 3 different systems and can 100% confirm that there is a big memory leak, i placed my findings on this board and on the EA board last week already.

Under Windows XP I never saw the memory go higher than about 750k, but under windows vista it went up to the 1.3GB, is it possible that it's worse under vista than it was under xp?

Why does the game crash, will it not use virtual memory? Is it programmed that if there isn't physical memory to use it comes to a screeching halt?

Did you find any particular settings that caused the memory leaks? I seem to remember in Lotro if we used the high textures then there was a memory leak (might have been fixed in one of the patches or addons) but it was only on high textures I think. So maybe there is a particular setting that can be avoided to avoid the memory leak until they get the leak plugged.

WolfwoodSama

Postby WolfwoodSama » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:24 am

Doesn't really matter weither you're running Vista or XP. Here's my machine:

AMD Athlon 64-bit 3200+
BGF GeForce 7800 GS
2GB RAM

...and the game still can barely run at a modest city size with low - medium settings!

LadyCrimson

Postby LadyCrimson » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:13 am

I've used 'show all' for several cities, with mostly balanced societal values, including one fair sized town (10K pop) and haven't had any crashes. Of course, I didn't actually place down 1 of every building (I've unlocked 163) - but I probably had several of each sort from each 'societal' type. Different housing, different decorations, different venues/workplaces, etc. I'd imagine it wouldn't be that hard to test the buildings in a general way tho - just use a blank map and place a building, wait for a crash or not, delete it, build another, and so on?

I've also played for a few hours whilst building from blank-map to 10-15K type cities and checked my memory usage periodically via visual graph. The lines for CPU (P4 3.0)and Memory (I have 2GB) stayed pretty much even keel at 60% and 50% the whole time, w/ very minor little dips/raises here and there. If there's a general wide memory leak, I haven't noticed one. If there are some, it's probably specific to certain various system configs, whatever the fault behind it (user machine or software code or in-game usage patterns etc.)

I'm about 80% tech-idiot, so this is a wild speculation, but I was wondering if the secur-rom stuff could be affecting at least some people with hangs/crashes?
Last edited by LadyCrimson on Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Community Technical Support”