What's the story on the patch....?

For technical or performance related issues
FomarTHain

What's the story on the patch....?

Postby FomarTHain » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:07 pm

This native is getting restless.

As of today I now have 3 (yes 3) cities I can't open anymore. 75% into the loading process I get the dreaded C++ error. What's the story? I really hope this patch that is coming doesn't have a lot of extras in it. I don't care about extra buildings and terrain tile sets right now, I just want to play with my cities.

I would love the "extras" in the future but right now I just want to play.

Is there a patch in the works? What's the story? :confused:

TreyNutz2

Postby TreyNutz2 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:14 pm

There was a chat yesterday on the EA site. I couldn't get in, but a friend did and asked about the patch status. The response was, "We're working on a bug report form so you can get us the details. There is some information on crashing posted in the stickies in the Technical Help section of the board."

So, the status is that they are working on a form.

Transcripts of the chat should be posted soon, I would guess next week.

FomarTHain

Postby FomarTHain » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:21 pm

TreyNutz2 wrote:There was a chat yesterday on the EA site. I couldn't get in, but a friend did and asked about the patch status. The response was, "We're working on a bug report form so you can get us the details. There is some information on crashing posted in the stickies in the Technical Help section of the board."

So, the status is that they are working on a form.

Transcripts of the chat should be posted soon, I would guess next week.

I hope your friend misunderstood the response. :( They are working on a form to get information? That's where the process is? A form? :confused:

I look forward to the chat transcript. Thanks for the heads up.

TreyNutz2

Postby TreyNutz2 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:56 pm

I hope your friend misunderstood the response.

That was an exact quote. The post I linked to has a screenshot. If they are doing anything else, then they are keeping quiet about it. Judging from Violet's updates on EA's site, they are still gathering information.

edit: To be clear, my interpretation of SimLeaderSix's response to the patch question is that the official status is that they are working on a form.

majortom1981

hmm

Postby majortom1981 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:35 pm

I am going to ask here since i got ignored on other threads. Can somebody else confirm that its a memory leak?

TheArsenal

Postby TheArsenal » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:12 pm

Okay, I'm going back to saying I've never seen the likes of this before. And I play many different types of games. Some which have had buggy releases. Even so, I've never seen a game quite this broken on quite this scale, and I've never seen such ultimately sluggish response verging on near complete silence.

And I wouldn't be surprised if they were just getting around to compiling a form. Over on the official EA site, on November 29th, a full two weeks after release, and after several hundreds of emails pointing out the functional issues across all types of computers, specs and systems, this was posted:

Updated 11.29.2007

Thank you all for your patience; I know this has been frustrating. I reported all the data you included in the thread and now we are looking for some very specific pieces of information. If you are having this issue please reply with the following to help us get to the bottom of this...[then asks for hardware specs]

Really? You think it could be a hardware problem? On every last persons computer? Really?

Here's my guess. This game is so spectacularly busted that they dare not even admit to what degree, because then the masses who are already grumbling about rips offs and refunds really lose their minds.

Me? It's just a game. I'll put it aside, play something else, check in on occasion to see when its fixed. If that takes too long, work on that refund. But for those who expect things to be released in reasonable shape, or $50 is a great deal of money, I don't blame them at all for being livid. And check the official site, they are truly becoming livid.

So, to sum up this long post, and my feelings on this release, in a single word: embarrassment.
Last edited by TheArsenal on Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FomarTHain

Postby FomarTHain » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:59 am

majortom1981 wrote:I am going to ask here since i got ignored on other threads. Can somebody else confirm that its a memory leak?

People more qualified could give a better explanation but a memory leak is when a program doesn't "let go" of the memory it uses and thus uses more and more until the memory of your computer starts to get full and usually leads to a crash, bad performance etc. Some people have speculated that is is part, or all, of the problem(s) leading to alot of the crashes in SCS. I don't know enough about MLs to say.

That is my layman's understanding.

I don't know what to think about this situation but I know the silence on both sides (EA and TM) isn't helping. Saying that you're creating a form to collect data doesn't sound or look very good this far after release. Nor does it look good that QA never experienced any of this. I have a very hard time believing that. I like the game and that makes it all the more frustrating.

Anyone remember Outpost from Sierra? A way back then title. I enjoyed it but it had problems all over and felt a bit incomplete. As I like this game as well this reminds me the Outpost release.

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:20 am

I have seen some pretty buggy games myself... actually even top ranked games liek oblivion and Bioshock have all sorts of bugs
(in oblivion sometimes you could not complete entire quests because of bugs.. and you would have to load the game to before hthe quest.. and if you saved over it tough sh**) :(

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:07 am

Bethesda worked a very long time (several years) on Oblivion, and although it still had quest bugs (and perhaps not such a great implementation of many systems), it was very much a playable game on release...

I empthasize years here, people. Years.

Talshiarr

Postby Talshiarr » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:49 am

Well, just ask yourself what the last really solid title you played was that went from its first public showing to release in just over four months? Here's another one...Sid Meier's Railroads. Same exact situation. More bugs than a roach motel and the company released one or two quick patches then just declared it essentially DOA and vanished. Oblivion was seen two years or more before release. Same with Crysis and most other big-time games.

I guess I made the mistake of buying it, because I cannot play more than 30-45 minutes no matter what on any city with any terrain type. I almost always get the bug where the screen stops updating but you can hear the game in the background. I had the C++ crash once, but that's been really rare. But obviously it's a hardware problem on my end...with my system that almost never locks up on anything else, even that similar bug festival called World of Warcraft.

Manni

Postby Manni » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:47 am

Talshiarr wrote:I guess I made the mistake of buying it

.............which makes a group. I have made the same mistake. :rolleyes:

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:23 pm

Agamemnus wrote:Bethesda worked a very long time (several years) on Oblivion, and although it still had quest bugs (and perhaps not such a great implementation of many systems), it was very much a playable game on release...

I empthasize years here, people. Years.

the main quest and the mage guild quest are the only ones I actually managed to complete
well I COULD restart my game and save before starting all my broken side quests but something about that doesn't sound appealing :(
also the expansion "knights of the Nine" doesn't ever start no matter how hard I try.. I never even got to play it...
lol I even looked up walkthroughs to see if I was doing something wrong.. more than a few times... :rolleyes:

and every now and then the screen will just disappear and close with no error message or anything
(something to do with autosave I think)

TheArsenal

Postby TheArsenal » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:43 pm

News on the official board. The information has been compiled. I assume this means the form is complete.

Updated 12.3.2007

I have compiled all the hardware information you provided and reported it up!

Thank you so much for contributing to this big push for data. I'll let you know as soon as I know more.

LadyCrimson

Postby LadyCrimson » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:30 pm

I dunno ... I can understand a 'form' for gathering information. I know some people are good about posting well-thought out details about their issue/systems, but most aren't. I saw that thread in the other forum and Violet kept asking for info in a certain way, and many respondants ignored it in favor of "this game hangs, here's the error message, please fix it' type posts instead.

I still haven't had any problems w/the game since I turned auto-save off, so from my point of view, it's not 'everyone' that has issues w/the game. I do hope a patch that fixes the seemingly common ones that people who do have problems are having, will be released soon, so they can play this fun game. Unfortunately, if the problems are unexpected, and for whatever reasons a company is having a hard time duplicating them in their own 'labs', delays can be long. You can't, for instance, troubleshoot if you can't reproduce the problem on your own system/s ... so they may need more specific/detailed info in an ordered fashion. (p.s. - I don't claim to say that's the actual reason for the delay/form, just saying 'maybe')

I wonder if a listing from those without any major issues would also be helpful, as a comparison...

Oh and ... whenever people claim "this is the worst release ever" I always think of Ultima9 and the outcry that one produced. imo, I don't think SCS falls into that category. :)
Last edited by LadyCrimson on Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FomarTHain

Postby FomarTHain » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:49 pm

LadyCrimson wrote:Oh and ... whenever people claim "this is the worst release ever" I always think of Ultima9 and the outcry that one produced. imo, I don't think SCS falls into that category. :)

True enough. That was a mess. :( :p

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:53 am

Ultima 9 ascension was a beautiful game I always thoguht
but.. all the bugs made it unplayable.. I own the game because I have been a fan of the series since Underworld and the False prophet :)

It is too bad 9 was SO full of bugs that I could not play it all the way through
and believe me I tried.. I might not be willing to lean backwards for oblivion but for Ultima I would lol

PS there was supposed to be a patch to fix many of those bugs but I couldn't find it >_>

Faberitius

Postby Faberitius » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:46 am

LadyCrimson wrote:Unfortunately, if the problems are unexpected, and for whatever reasons a company is having a hard time duplicating them in their own 'labs', delays can be long.

Easy. The only thing they have to do is to actually try to install the game in 8 of 10 normal PCs :-)

TheArsenal

Postby TheArsenal » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:32 pm

Just as the crowd at the official boards at EA began picking up the pitch forks and torches ready to storm the castle, folks from here (TM employees) began popping up in threads and giving updates. From what I can gather, the problems are, for the most part, identified. No hard dates have been given, but one comes away with the feeling that a patch is arriving sooner than later. Even if a patch may not come as quickly as we may desire, communication and reporting lines appear to be open.

From David Beebe, Producer, Tilted Mill Entertainment:
(Being new to these boards, I am uncertain whether or not/how often he frequents these boards).
Hey folks,

I just wanted to check in with you and let you know that we're looking into the assorted crashes, memory leaks, and problems you have been reporting. (I know it can be frustrating.)

We're still looking into a bunch of stuff (trying to distill down what exactly is going on)

Crash with Game Exception: Unable to find a valid device error
This is due to an unsupported video card

The leak
We found one and are ironing out the wrinkles.

crash on load
We're taking another deep look at the launcher.

+50k people crash
We're looking into it.

There's more info coming soon.
Last edited by TheArsenal on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rubus

Postby Rubus » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:03 am

Katheryne

Postby Katheryne » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:38 am

Faberitius wrote:Easy. The only thing they have to do is to actually try to install the game in 8 of 10 normal PCs :-)

That may be the problem. Have you seen the system requirements for this game? I mean, even most top-of-the-line DX9 cards are below, at, or only slightly above minimum requirements! I suspect all the development and internal testing and QA were done on decked-out Alienware systems!

I admit: My Radeon 9700-based system isn't exactly top-of-the-line; but it's no slouch, either. So far it has competently handled everything I've thrown at it: SC4, Sims 2, RCT3, EQ2 - even City Life runs smooth as silk on this thing. But not SCS. A Radeon 9600 is minimum requirement for this game - and that's if you're running XP. God help you if you're running Vista on an AGP system, as - according to the system requirements, you need a PCIx-based system and a mid-line graphics card just to get this thing running!

*sigh*

I knew my laptop was starting to get a little old; I just didn't think it would go out this soon. :(

Return to “Community Technical Support”