Does Sim City™ Societies Crash For You?

For technical or performance related issues

How often or not does Sim City™ Societies crash when you run the game?

Sim City™ Societies never crashes.
19%
Sim City™ Societies crashes rarely.
23%
Sim City™ Societies every time I play.
58%

Total votes: 99

Grinder

Does Sim City™ Societies Crash For You?

Postby Grinder » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:45 pm

How often or not does Sim City™ Societies crash when you run the game?

tobing

Postby tobing » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:43 pm

For me it crashes only very rarely. VERY rarely...

Good poll btw!

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:32 pm

Never crashed (knock on wood), I have been amazed after reading about the people having crashes that my machine is perfect (knock on wood again :) ) largest city so far is 22k workers. Laggy as heck even on minimum graphics. Water maps laggy me a little extra.

Dell Inspiron 6000 Laptop, Radion X300 DVI out to Dell 24" Monitor
WinXP Home still on the original install OS from almost 2 years ago. :D

This is not my usual gaming machine as thats broke :(
________
GS550M
Last edited by PantherX on Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

panikattak

Postby panikattak » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:45 pm

Needed a fourth option for the poll that covers people whose game crashes at predictable state such as various loading screens or city size. I have a DX9.0c card, but it's lower than the specs (XFX 6200LE 256meg). I can build a city that's about a fifth to a third the size I believe my computer could handle but the screen freezes after my city gets so big. So it doesn't crash everytime I play, but it will crash if the city gets too big and I'm forced to play nothing but small towns.

flyer2359

Postby flyer2359 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:29 pm

I have had game for awhile now and not one crash using winvista

ladiesmanwc

Postby ladiesmanwc » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:26 pm

Every. Single. Time.

ManBilal

Postby ManBilal » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:31 am

It crashes everytime I play, even with update #2. We should also add DX-info file along with polling.

DxDiag.txt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

e_boulanger

I can make it crash every time I play

Postby e_boulanger » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:17 pm

In one of my city, if I decide to go to a certain place and try to look at the city from a certain angle, SCS stops responding and crash. That certain place is up a hill and allows me to view a big part of the city below. If I use the normal angle, everything works fine. It's when I try to view more of the city that SCS stops reacting (even if the game is paused).

Here is the error that is generated:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: SimCitySocieties.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.16
Application Timestamp: 473476e4
Fault Module Name: StackHash_a187
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c000001d
Exception Offset: 73380008
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 4105
Additional Information 1: a187
Additional Information 2: caefb4a1170d9541fc86e0f05c381dcb
Additional Information 3: 9279
Additional Information 4: 760f1f31d43d9fd5b9ba0242c389c8de

Read our privacy statement:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

The Sacred Voice

Postby The Sacred Voice » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:38 pm

Mine crashes everytime - strangely it's because it seems to be on some sort of timer, it's pretty much every half an hour... which is unbelievably annoying.

Akodis

Postby Akodis » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:09 pm

It has never crashed for me, even though I'm running it on a laptop that just barely exceeds minimum specifications.

It is laggy, especially around the 4 AM sim mood reset, but not intolerably so, at slightly higher than minimal graphics settings: no shadows, no reflections, no details at long distance... and my camera angles are restricted.

But it works, with no crashes.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:12 pm

My first crash happened yesterday. It was in a small city, maybe 35 workers. It happened twice at exactly the same game time. 2 :P M on a Sunday. The third time I tried the city I saved more frequently and it did not crash that time. I did notice that the first 2 times there was a heatwave. The 3rd time there was no heatwave. Not having the heatwave the third time is kind of strange as I know there was the heatwave when I saved the map each time.

The only differences I can think of is crash one and two started from the exact same save game, Non crash was a new save game.For both crash games, I loaded the save game, added a few buildings and was letting it run through the weekend when crash. I was not able to alt-tab back to my desktop, no 3-finger salute and I couldnt hibernate or sleep, I had to power down (the very first crash on this laptop and it's 2 years old runs sweet). The second time I crashed I was able to get back to the laptop by turning on the laptop display (I usually use an external monitor) and there was a plethoria of error messages, sorry I did not write them down as I thought I would be able to reproduce it again.

While playing the second time I did save one time before it crashed. So, the third time I played it I had started from a different saved game than the 2 times it crashed. Note, this third time playing did not have a heatwave although the heatwave screen marker was onscreen when I saved.

It seems like the heatwave had been going for about a week (not 100% sure) when I saved the map the night before. Both times it crashed at Sunday 2 :P M there was still the heatwave marker and border onscreen. The Sunday 2 :P M that did not crash there was no heatwave because it was not there when I loaded the saved game.

Perhaps the heatwave was supposed to expire with an event but for whatever reason did not expire and trigger the event. When I resaved the game the heatwave was not recorded (because it had expired) so the third time I played there was no heatwave. Then the question to ask is what event happens Sunday 2 :P M that would crash the machine if some event was hung up?

The world may never know, I know I could have helped if I had the error message. Maybe some TM Guru will spark on it. :)
________
NSR50R
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PantherX on Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grinder

Postby Grinder » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:38 am

As more people vote on this poll a more accurate picture of the state of SC™S stability is emerging.

Of course it was to be expected that there would be crashes; there are always situations whereby people either through inexperience, with lower than expected hardware or some peculiar setup will induce a game to go awry, and therby more posts about problems in these forums. However, most of the posts about the game's issues seem to come from experienced gamers. People who know the obvious pitfalls and can deal with them as a matter of course.

Tilted Mill Entertainment must have looked over this forum by now and seen this poll, perhaps even voted themselves. :rolleyes:

C'mon TME it's time to be big about this and speak to your customers. Feedback is a two way street when it comes to customer service. We need to know that truthfully there is acknowledgement of our problems with SC™S and that you guys are on the case.

If this poll is only a 20% reflection of user experience of this game then it is still way too much.

Talk to us TME. We wont bite. :p

Karstedt

Predictably...

Postby Karstedt » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:53 am

I voted all the time... though am also in the category of predictable crashes. Once I hit around 800+ workers is when the crashing starts. Single core, XP, 6800GT, 1GB memory, admittedly puny (its my test box to make sure a game won't ruin my primary computer) but the game runs smooth at low settings, it just crashes. I have a much better system (dual core, XP, dual 8750, 2GB memory), but won't install it on it and risk messing it up.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:16 am

Mine crashes every time I play, but only once the city gets at around 30k people or if I've played longer than an hour and a half.

Khanon

Postby Khanon » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:42 pm

Though I voted that mine never crashes, that's not exactly true. However, that one crash was my fault... My home monitor is 1680x1050 native res and the one at work is 1440x900. I played it at home and then I got to work and it crashed out. It was because the saved res was outside the range the work monitor could handle and I had to manually fix it.

So...technically, the correct answer for me is "no crashes native to the software and one crash due to user flub up." :)

lewarner

Postby lewarner » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:02 pm

My game crashes frequently. I recently posted my dxdiag and it seemed ok. Unfortunately this reminds me of a Dilbert cartoon. I was encouraged the software company was going to fix the problem, so I bought the game. I feel like a dope.

lewarner

aeval99

Postby aeval99 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:25 am

Running the game on an ancient Dell with the lowest card that will actually run with the game. Never had a crash. Is it just me, or are the folks with better computers having more trouble than those of us with the old clunkers.

Manni

Postby Manni » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:21 am

aeval99 wrote:Running the game on an ancient Dell with the lowest card that will actually run with the game. Never had a crash. Is it just me, or are the folks with better computers having more trouble than those of us with the old clunkers.

Really amazing that it runs for you!!! :eek:

Memory: 1280MB RAM
1024 x 768 (32 bit) (85Hz)
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6715 which is Ati-Catalyst 7.8 from August 07
Sounddriver from 2002
and even a virtual drive.

Amazing! :)

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:25 am

maybe an option to say it 'sometimes' crashes could have been added too

PacktSardines

Postby PacktSardines » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:27 pm

Technically mine doesn't crash...but that's because it doesn't even start actually because of a strange case of the unhandled exception that I haven't seen elsewhere...

Return to “Community Technical Support”