Glitches with Destinations

For technical or performance related issues
allos_autos

Glitches with Destinations

Postby allos_autos » Tue May 12, 2009 5:33 am

Hello Everyone,

I am experiencing some difficulties with SCS since installing Destinations. Prior to Destinations, the game worked flawlessly; since upgrading, I've had a few major problems. Here are the most frustrating:

1. Worst tour guides ever: Tour guides will seize up, and stand around doing nothing. However, this causes all of the tourists he was going to lead on the tour to also seize up. They stand there getting more and more upset until they finally leave. I lose significant standing every day, usually with stars being lost by the time the tour from hell is over. I have not found a way to fix this.

2. No music loop: I love the music in SCS, so this is a big one for me. Sometimes when I load a map, the music will play once and then end. I can get it to start again by adjusting the volume in game, but then it stops again. When this happens, the ambient noises are absent completely. The way to fix the problem is to quit the game, reload the map and repeat if necessary until it works.

3. 'Building is more attractive' feature doesn't work: Some map loads will not handle attractiveness. If I put a building that should increase it for other buildings, the info card of the other building says nothing and it does not increase the likelihood that Sims will visit. If this happens, the game is screwed.

I am running SCSD in Vista Ultimate x64 (see DxDiag for more info). My system is up to date. I stress that everything was working perfectly fine until Destinations was installed. Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Manni

Postby Manni » Tue May 12, 2009 6:12 am

Try it without the "virtual drive" Drive: H:
Model: XODA J49QNW9 SCSI CdRom Device

allos_autos

Postby allos_autos » Tue May 12, 2009 2:47 pm

I've tried it with the virtual drive disabled and no luck. The first time I loaded a game there was no music despite the game indicating that it was enabled. I made sure that I had quit Daemon Tools completely so that there was no way it could be interference from that program.

Manni

Postby Manni » Tue May 12, 2009 3:53 pm

do you have update no. 5 installed?

allos_autos

Postby allos_autos » Tue May 12, 2009 4:31 pm

I did have update 5 installed. I tried to install it again, just to be sure, and it failed at scriptcompiler. The error message suggested reinstalling the game, so I'm giving that a shot now. I'll post my results once everything is installed.

Almost forgot something! My last test reminded me of another issue I've been having.

4. Silent sims: Sims, buildings, and anything else that normally produces a sound does not always do so anymore. Instead, there's about an 80% chance that a sound will happen when it should. This is independent of the music/ambient sound issue (#2, above).

allos_autos

Postby allos_autos » Tue May 12, 2009 5:02 pm

All right, so the game has been reinstalled. The issues persist. I tried to install patch 5 again and it failed at scriptcompiler.dll again. So I uninstalled everything again, reinstalled Societies and patched. Everything went fine, so I reinstalled Destinations. The issues still persist.

Any other ideas?

Manni

Postby Manni » Tue May 12, 2009 6:15 pm

"allos_autos" wrote:
Any other ideas?

Yes.
Your soundcard and its old driver seems to be the bottleneck.
Your sounder is an SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio with driver from 11/15/2007 version 5.12.0001.2007

go to here:
http://support.creative.com/Downloads/welcome.aspx
to try this driver or even better: Try to use the "SOFTWARE AUTO-UPDATE-function" at the very bottom of that page.

I know you have Vista which comes with directX 10 but you should also install directX version 9 on top of it.
DirectX 9 is for these platforms: Win 98, Win ME, Win 2000, Win XP, Win XP x64, Win 2003, Win 2003 x64, Win Vista, Win Vista x64

Get it from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=0cf368e5-5ce1-4032-a207-c693d210f616

allos_autos

Postby allos_autos » Wed May 13, 2009 12:36 am

After some extensive play testing ( :D ), I have determined that the steps above have worked. Updating my sound card drivers was an adventure, as both the auto updater and Windows thought that my old drivers were up-to-date (hence why I thought my computer was current in the first place). I had to download the driver from the Creative website manually and install it.

Might I suggest that doing a standalone install of DirectX 9 be added to the sticky for Vista users?

Thanks very much for solving a couple of the problems, but the pathing/ai of the sims is still an issue (#1 above, it seems that I can't get #3 to repeat so forget that one).

Manni

Postby Manni » Wed May 13, 2009 8:19 am

"allos_autos" wrote: I had to download the driver from the Creative website manually and install it.
GOOD!

Oh yes those drivers............I never rely what the auto-updaters say. I just check the driver-date in hardware-manager before and then go for a fresher dated-driver.......and thats it.

As you have Vista the creative auto-updater told me that it is not "yet" working with/for vista.

Might I suggest that doing a standalone install of DirectX 9 be added to the sticky for Vista users?

Not worth it really cos no one concerned will read it anyway.
By the way............it DOES say on the Microsoft directX 9-site which systems it suits.................but most do not read the lines further down a page........

allos_autos

Postby allos_autos » Wed May 13, 2009 5:54 pm

"Manni" wrote:By the way............it DOES say on the Microsoft directX 9-site which systems it suits.................but most do not read the lines further down a page........

Yes, I read that...I just assumed that all of the programs that I have installed which rely on DX9 and force me to accept the DX9 EULA and install it along with the program (incl. SCS) actually installed the necessary components of DX9, so I never visited the site before. Strange that SCS worked fine but SCSD did not though.

Thanks for the help!

Return to “Community Technical Support”