Haunted Theme Smoke effect cannot be saved

For technical or performance related issues
INGSOC_Prelate

Haunted Theme Smoke effect cannot be saved

Postby INGSOC_Prelate » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:08 pm

Hi,

I have this problem. When my city enters the haunted theme, smoke and ghost effect starts to come out from haunted houses, graveyards, tec. Sounds pretty normal?

When I saved the game and load it the next time, all these smoke effects disappeared! Only the creepy music remains. Also, smoke effect will only activate for NEW graveyards and haunted houses, not for existing ones. I have actually tried this a couple of times, restart PC, re-install, but it does not work.

I am using Windows 7.
I have installed SimCity Societies + Destinations + all 5 patches.

Please help! Thanks!

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:39 pm

It's one of the quirks that came with the Destinations expansion, a quirk that was never resolved because the file structure and coding changed radically with the expansion compared to regular SCS. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but you may have to manually mod the newer XML files that came with SCS Destinations to allow for the Haunted Theme to take effect. It seems that SCS Destinations tends to use the newer XML files to override any original SCS files or mods produced specifically for the regular SCS version.

INGSOC_Prelate

Postby INGSOC_Prelate » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:28 am

I see... thanks.

How do you manually mod the XML file?

The temporary solution I used was to bulldoze away some of the creepy buildings so that a new theme takes effect, then rebuild these buildings to get the smoke back on.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:47 pm

I'm not entirely sure how it works myself, but what I've noticed with the Destinations expansion is that it tends to override the older SCS profiles with the newer Destinations profiles. This is just my hypothesis, but I think you might have to copy the original Haunted theme XML files from the original SimCity Societies/Data/XMLDb/Game/Profiles to the DataXP1/XMLDb/Game/Profiles folder.

Return to “Community Technical Support”