Unable to load SCS

For technical or performance related issues
adulation_18

Unable to load SCS

Postby adulation_18 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:17 am

I don't know why I am having so many problems with this game now. I had no problems installing and playing it when it first came out. I uninstalled the game a year or 2 ago and have been trying to reinstall all day :mad: I was finally able to get it reinstalled and I'm able to load the game to point where it list the different icons for settings, exit and to actually play the game but when I hit the icon to play I get a hour glass. When I minimize the game there is a box that reads...

Unhandled exception: No error

Type class TMill::Common::Exception

FIle c:\sc5prexmasupdate\source\common\zipfilestream.cpp

Function: TMill::Common::IO::ZipFileStream::Read

Line: 75

I don't really know what that means. I'm thinking maybe I'm missing a file of some sort or it has to do with a patch. I've been searching online and havent found anything. I was only able to download up to patch#3. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:16 am

Is this a digital download purchased version of the game?

If it is, you will have to contact the tech support people of the vendor from which you purchased the game.

Digital download vendors make changes to the game and they are supposed to provide support for what they sell.

TM is just the game developer for Electronic Arts which published the game originally. EA supplied support for that version.

Other than that, all I can suggest is that you make sure you have a good copy of the patch file and one that made is for your version of the game.

Normally, you cannot use regular patches intended for boxed versions of the game with digitally downloaded game versions. You have to get your updates from the digital download vendor.

Often vendors will just offer updated versions of the entire game itself rather than dealing with patches. If that is the case, you may have to uninstall what you have and download and install the latest digital download version of the game from your vendor.

adulation_18

Postby adulation_18 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:38 am

I have the box version of the game. I had a lot of trouble finding the patch for that. The EA site is not very friendly in trying to locate stuff. I posted this on there site as well. Thanks for the help though!

Update to this: The EA website and there answer headquarters site basically directed me here and stated that I probably wouldnt receive any help from EA since it's such an old game..... Great...
Last edited by adulation_18 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:37 pm

I did a little poking around on the net and saw your post on EA and found and article that suggests that most exception errors are caused by problems with the computer registry. The article recommends one registry scanner program. Another registry scan/cleaner program may do just as well. The program they recommend is called WiseFixer at their website.

The steps are to download and install the program. Run the scanner. Then when the program is done click the Fix errors button.

I don't know anything about this bit of software and using it is done at your own risk.

You may want to try a known registry scanner/cleaner first. Before you make any changes to your registry you should always export a backup copy of it to your desktop before you start....just in case.

adulation_18

Postby adulation_18 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:57 pm

I know nothing about registrys so not touching that but I can stay that I finally got it working!! I found a site that had patch #5. Only downside is that I can't play any of my old saved games. Glad to have it working though Thanks again for your help!

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:51 am

Glad to hear you got it running.

It is odd that the game won't let you run old saves. Usually it works the other way around with the new saves not being compatible with the older version of the game.

Return to “Community Technical Support”