Maintenance Mod v1.0

Post or download mods and height maps here!
Pat D.

Postby Pat D. » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:34 pm

Hidden...okay, i found it! But now I've lost my favorites folder! What the hell????

Ah well, I've found it..

pat!

LadyCrimson

Postby LadyCrimson » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:37 pm

Edit - NVM, too slow ... hehe ...
Last edited by LadyCrimson on Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:37 pm

Pat D. wrote:Hidden...okay, i found it!

I actually helped someone with a computer problem? :eek:

But now I've lost my favorites folder! What the hell????

Don't ask me! :o

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:37 pm

Glad that you found it. Now don't be alarmed if you see some weird desktop icons like %%systemblablabla%%.

It seems the first time that I "un-hidden" the system folders I got 1 or 2 strange desktop icons that I don't dare delete based purely on their names.

panikattak

Postby panikattak » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:41 pm

With the difficulty settings of -5 global happiness and .25 income along with this mod have made the game definitely more challenging. I'm going to play around and test it some more and see how it works out. Thanks a million. Societies just got a whole lot better if preliminary testing has so far seemed to indicate.

Is there away to make a red expense number popup like the green income numbers next to the money box when the expenses are taken out?
Last edited by panikattak on Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:44 pm

Yup, Bill Gates made the hidden folders invisible so us computer stupid people wouldn't mess with them.

Be VERY careful.

Mike Lattiak

Postby Mike Lattiak » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:54 pm

panikattak wrote:Is there away to make a red expense number popup like the green income numbers next to the money box when the expenses are taken out?

Currently we couldn't get that to work with this mod, it's quite maddening. I'm quite sure a solution will be found later. Hence the v1.0 number!

Pat D.

Postby Pat D. » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:58 pm

Kuplo wrote:Glad that you found it. Now don't be alarmed if you see some weird desktop icons like %%systemblablabla%%.

It seems the first time that I "un-hidden" the system folders I got 1 or 2 strange desktop icons that I don't dare delete based purely on their names.

Thanks Kuplo! I'm all back to normal....WOW that was STOOOPID..I never reset my folders when I rebuilt my system last weekend....

Everything is normal, I'm breathing! But I'm just not ready to pull the trigger on adding the mod! How do I 'un-add' the mod if I want to go back to normal?

pat!

Mike Lattiak

Postby Mike Lattiak » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:35 pm

Just as a quick update to your problem --

Morpheus121073 wrote:see the problem is that i can get them to work, if i place them in the game installtion folder, with only 1 exception that the ninja's show up as white square boxes (blocks), the same problem i also have if i use the spawn cheat on frat guys and children they then also spawn as those white squares (blocks).

The problem with the ninjas showing up as a cube is the result of a missing file from the mod. I made a post in that topic in regards to that issue, so hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

Morpheus121073 wrote:Now when i install those 2 mods (gamestop & ninja academy) in the normal folder for mods which is in the program data folder on vista then they do not work, the gamestop shows up as a butcher shop i think it is and the Ninja Academy shows up as a one of the other standard buildings.

I'd like to know the names of the directory you are placing these folders in. Both the gamestop and ninja academy appear in the form of a .SCS pack, which means you'll need to place them in the mod directory in the import folder. Since you use vista, I'm a little shady on this issue -- they have a different mod directory than XP. So further details would be very helpful for me.

Morpheus121073 wrote:Again i have the same problem with my roads mod, as a reference i attached my roads mod, which includes the normal files but also the installer pack i made. Maybe you can take a look at it and see what's going on. This roads mod simply makes it so you have all roads available and you can mix and match different road styles.

Ok! Time to solve this problem!

First of all, your mod is based off of the instructions Agamemnus wrote up in another thread -- which although correct -- isn't very friendly when you try to send that to someone else. The problem stems from templates.xml -- which is essentially a "parent" of all the roads (it defines the various traits the roads have). You see, you can't make this additive. That is, you can't make a brand new parent in your mod directory. Although you can make a TemplateStreet2, which is what is done in the steps, it'll only work on your computer because you edited them in the install directory. If you want to make this mod friendly -- and be able to send it to anyone to use, follow these rules:

1) First of all, you only need one new street to copy over. So, in your case, you only have to make a Morpheus_Roads_Mod_Orwellian City Street and so on (you don't need a second variant of these files). Now, inside of these you want set the road style to this:

<Road style="Orwellian City Street 2" extends="TemplateStreet" stringid="UI_ORWELLIAN_CITY_STREET_2" hiddenatstart="false" environmentBG="Exterior Urban">

Notice although you change the road style and stringid, you do not change the extend. Keep it as TemplateStreet.

2) Now, go down just a little bit to the <traitlist>. Inside here you want to add the two traits you were using for TemplateStreet2:

<Trait name="ProfileCategory" value=""/>
<Trait name="AmbientsAffectedByProfiles" value="false"/>

3) Now when you load up the game, these new roads you created will still be part of the main set -- only they will have the traits needed to show in all profiles. You'll want to delete the work you did in Templates.XML -- you won't need that anymore.

Also, as a last bit of advice (from looking at your localization files) -- you don't need to do a full copy/past job on everything in the text file. So in your Morpheus_Roads_Mod_languagetext.xml file, delete everything except for what you added. The system will already have the data for the previous stringIDs, and will simply read the new ones in this folder.

I hope this bit of information helps. If you have further questions, please ask away.

Morpheus121073

Postby Morpheus121073 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:04 am

Thanks for helping hand there Mike i'm gonna try it out and see if i get it to work as you said :)

Now for the vista question, we have a folder called c:\ProgramData\SimCity Societies\

in that folder go all the mods, and yeah i place the install pack in the import folder but no luck there, but you can also double click the install pack and it asks to install, then places itself inside the import folder.

WolfwoodSama

Postby WolfwoodSama » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:07 am

I'd like to know the names of the directory you are placing these folders in. Both the gamestop and ninja academy appear in the form of a .SCS pack, which means you'll need to place them in the mod directory in the import folder. Since you use vista, I'm a little shady on this issue -- they have a different mod directory than XP. So further details would be very helpful for me.

Do you literally mean placing the package file in App Data\Simcity Societies\Import\Mod\ folder? As in, create a folder in import named mod and run the game? My latest Ninja post rectified the blocking, but the problem is with textures.

If two or more mods use custom textures, only one of them will actually work at a time.

Morpheus121073

Postby Morpheus121073 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:09 am

One more question, i also would like to keep the original roads, so the roads that change over when a theme change that is why i made a 2 nd variant of the roads so the original ones stay in tact, what would i need to do this, do i still only need to add those 2 lines to templates.xml ?

Morpheus121073

Postby Morpheus121073 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:09 am

no not a folder inside import but place the install pack inside the import folder directly.

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:17 am

Morpheus121073 wrote:One more question, i also would like to keep the original roads, so the roads that change over when a theme change that is why i made a 2 nd variant of the roads so the original ones stay in tact, what would i need to do this, do i still only need to add those 2 lines to templates.xml ?

Yeah, that's why I put the second template file. I think I couldn't find a way to do it just using the regular template. I just tried doing what Mike Lattiak mentioned with the materialistic road, and the road style renders as generic instead of the lighter blue/grey materialistic.

The reason for this can only be explained by the fact that Templates.xml is "special": extending road types doesn't work as well in a separate file: the correct road is added in the user interface, but the generic road is still drawn. As an example, if I were to move the TemplateStreet2 to another file and had all the modified roads point to it, the desired effect would still be missing.

Morpheus121073

Postby Morpheus121073 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:21 am

exaactly i have the same problem that is why we need templatestreet2
but maybe he means putting those 2 lines inside the street template itself and not touch template.xml at all ??

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:25 am

That is what I was talking about.. it doesn't work if you don't use a different template road...

Morpheus121073

Postby Morpheus121073 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:32 am

Ok so what happens if you use templatestreet2 then does it work then from inside the mod folder ? or do you still need to put it inside the instal folder of the game under program files ?

Morpheus121073

Postby Morpheus121073 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:36 am

By the way i have the same problem with my open hours mod it simply doesn't work without changing the original files maybe mike can take a look at it ?? what i did was change the opening hours of some of the buildings. See attachment, also mike i modified my roads mod could you take a look at it if you have the time, in it are also modified roads so you can choose with or without trash etc. etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Lattiak

Postby Mike Lattiak » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:54 am

I have a general understanding of the problem and will get to it tomorrow -- I might have missed a step in my instructions. For organization reasons, I'd like to move this conversation into the "enabling all road types HOWTO" topic -- so that we can keep this area for discussion relating to the Maintenance Mod.

Morpheus121073

Postby Morpheus121073 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:12 am

ok mike, by the way i have the roads working now, still would love to say thanks for the help mate :) by the way you made a perfectly good explanation :) So the above attachment of the roads mod is not the good, one when i have it fully working i will definatly post it :)

Return to “Mods (Files)”