Maintenance Mod v1.0

Post or download mods and height maps here!
Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:45 am

Pat D. wrote:Thanks Kuplo! I'm all back to normal....WOW that was STOOOPID..I never reset my folders when I rebuilt my system last weekend....

Everything is normal, I'm breathing! But I'm just not ready to pull the trigger on adding the mod! How do I 'un-add' the mod if I want to go back to normal?

pat!

I don't honestly know of the official way of removing mods, what I've been doing is the slow and tedius process of 1 of 2 ways.

1. I open up the individual mods .xml file and see what files that it references, then I go and manually remove all the files written to the mods xml file then remove the actual mod.xml file (where mods .xml means like Maintenance_cost.xml or Stopsigns.xml, there isn't really a file called mods .xml Well, there isn't unless someone actually named a mod that ;) )

2. I delete the entire mod folder structure, then start the game, let it recreate the required folders then reapply all the mods that I want again.

Both ways are equally time consuming and Im pretty sure that if I remove a mod from teh game and load up a saved game that was using custom buildings from a mod that I placed in the game then the game will either crash, or it will do something equally as bad or maybe show up placeholders, Im really not sure, Id rather not try to find out for fear of corrupting another good saved game file.

If it's not already in the game, then I would suggest to TM to either create a tool that lets us UNINSTALL any mods that we wish (It shouldn't really be that tough, and maybe we can enlist Crowebird on our forum to do it, but it would be best coming from TM) all that it needs to do is:
1. The uninstaller reads the XML files and list all the mods that are in there for the player
2. The player chooses to uninstall a mod.
3. The uninstaller reads the associated xml file of the mod we want to remove, and the uninstaller simply deletes all the files that are listed in the xml file then it deletes the xml file too.

Simple, hopefully TM will do that to make it easier to completely remove mods that we no longer wish to use.
Last edited by Kuplo on Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Morpheus121073

Postby Morpheus121073 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:38 am

yeah a mod uninstall option would be great, and i'm sure TM will be able to give us a little tool to do that, as in the import folder are all the .xml files i'm sure something can be made that goes trough this xml file and delete the files associated with it.

Morpheus121073

Postby Morpheus121073 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:02 am

still not get the gamestop to show up from within the mod folder, same goes for the new KFC mod, they show up when placed in the install folder of simcity in program files then they work fine but not from within the mod folder so i would love to know what the problem could be.

Pat D.

Postby Pat D. » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:53 am

Kuplo, great post...excatly the insight I was looking for and your suggestion of a Mod install/uninstall tool is spot on what we need...

And I do bet crowebird could do it....but he's got his darn priorities all messed up...college, grades...BAH!!!! :D

pat!

panikattak

Postby panikattak » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:49 pm

The mod should be set so rouges can't shut it down.

Mike Lattiak

Postby Mike Lattiak » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:20 pm

panikattak wrote:The mod should be set so rouges can't shut it down.

Ah, good catch! I'll make sure to add that for the next update.

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:35 pm

Kuplo, Is it possible for said program to detect potential conflicts between mods aswell?

sorry if this was mentioned somewhere I am having trouble reading these larger posts :o

tobing

Postby tobing » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:51 pm

Tried the maintainance mod in my german version of the game. The name doesn't show up, and most of the other text doesn't as well. So I switched my local language.ini to point to the en_us Locale, and now it works (of course). So, where do I have to add the missing text strings? I could send you the german text for the next update, but before I would like to learn where they belong.

Mike Lattiak

Postby Mike Lattiak » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:07 pm

tobing wrote:Tried the maintainance mod in my german version of the game. The name doesn't show up, and most of the other text doesn't as well. So I switched my local language.ini to point to the en_us Locale, and now it works (of course). So, where do I have to add the missing text strings? I could send you the german text for the next update, but before I would like to learn where they belong.

Make your german version of the text strings (best to copy over the en_us localization folder and change the text around) and place it in your C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SimCity Societies\Localization\German folder (assuming you're using XP).

Basically you'll want to create a German localization folder in your mod directory and place it there.

TreyNutz2

Postby TreyNutz2 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:37 pm

I like this mod, I was using it last night in a very small town. Certainly stifled growth a bit and made me question whether I was getting the most out of every building. :)

I have a question - due the design of the mod to damage buildings if the player cannot pay, I was wondering if any transportation options were included in the calculation of the fee. I assume not roads, but what about bus stops and subways?

Mike Lattiak

Postby Mike Lattiak » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:01 pm

TreyNutz2 wrote:I like this mod, I was using it last night in a very small town. Certainly stifled growth a bit and made me question whether I was getting the most out of every building. :)

I have a question - due the design of the mod to damage buildings if the player cannot pay, I was wondering if any transportation options were included in the calculation of the fee. I assume not roads, but what about bus stops and subways?

Bus stops and subways are also charged the fee (same 5% -- but you can easily go in and reduce or increase this). They'll shut down for the day if not, leaving Sims to take to the streets!

Blaise

Postby Blaise » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:29 pm

Hey. I just wanted to stop in to say great work on this mod. I do not even have the game, but I have been visiting here every day since release to see screenshots and decide if I wanted the game since the reviews are so...well...

And the screaming of SC4 players can scare a person off!

But I feel more and more inclined to buy because there was little drama here, and the developers actually talk to you! Wow!

But this mod really, really impressed me. I guess I am just used to being totally ignored by EA (I am an avid Sims 2 player - don't beat me with sticks, please) and I was so surprised to see a developer making a mod that actually meet player's needs, well, that did it.

I am buying the game.

A new loyal Tilted Mill fan,

Blaise

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:30 pm

Welcome to the Forums Blaise
I would have welcomed you in another thread but that was a spam topic

PS nobody is going to chastise you for enjoying the Sims :eek:
Your preference is no more and no less valid than anybody else's
only elitists do things like that ;)

Blaise

Postby Blaise » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:32 pm

Thanks, Faticus. Nice to be welcomed.

Morpheus121073

Postby Morpheus121073 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:31 am

I'm just wondering, would it not be possible for you guys to expand this mod a bit and bring back the tax/budget control as they where in SC4 ? But maybe in this case make a few different City Halls, 1 for each theme and maybe 1 for the good old days when you run a small starter town, attach a mod to those buildings where you can control taxes etc. ???? It would definatly expand the game. Or not do it trough a buildng but add it to the game whenever you guys update it, perhaps make it something people can choose to use or not, like you want to play with or without tax/budget control :) Still even trough buildings then people can also choose if they want to use it or not by making on those pretty switches like for some power plant that you can turn on or off :)

tobing

Postby tobing » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:35 am

Mike Lattiak wrote:Make your german version of the text strings (best to copy over the en_us localization folder and change the text around) and place it in your C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SimCity Societies\Localization\German folder (assuming you're using XP).

Basically you'll want to create a German localization folder in your mod directory and place it there.

OK, found everything and it works. I'll have to think about proper translations though. One thing I noticed is that an existing instance of that building does not have the correct name, but remains empty. Deleting the existing instance and rebuilding solves this. So I guess that the original name is copied when the building is built?

I find this maintenance building plus difficulty set to challenging pretty difficult. Most of the time I don't have enough money, and quite often my sims go mad about various things. Have yet to see if I can manage to get a stable city with stable income up and running...

bairdte

Similar issues with textures in Maintenance MOD

Postby bairdte » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:29 am

OK here is another one of those "custom texture" issues. I noticed that the Maintenance Mod has the same issues as many of the other added mods, in that the textures do not show in game. In the case of the Maint Mod all we get is the Public Safety building upon which the Maintenance Bldg is based.
I know it has been mentioned that all this is being looked at, but just wanted everyone to know that it is not isolated to any particular mod.

It seems all mods that depend on current structures with new textures are affected.

Morpheus121073

Postby Morpheus121073 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:40 am

Correct they know about it and are indeed looking into it, i hope we will see a fix for this soon so all the mods are gonna work as intended.

tobing

Localization and Unicode

Postby tobing » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:47 am

There's something strange with the localization here. I copied the files from the en_us directory into the German directory, added two lines to the main xml files, so they are read. Fine so far. Now I tried to write the german text into MaintenanceText.xml, and the game complains if there are äöü in the text strings. It doesn't help to include <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> as the first line of the file, so I have to use ae oe ue instead of äöü, which is ugly at best. In other structures this seems to work however, so what's the difference here? Why is the StringTable not loaded properly (in Unicode format)?

Lilbluesmurf

Postby Lilbluesmurf » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:05 am

Morpheus121073 wrote:I'm just wondering, would it not be possible for you guys to expand this mod a bit and bring back the tax/budget control as they where in SC4 ? But maybe in this case make a few different City Halls, 1 for each theme and maybe 1 for the good old days when you run a small starter town, attach a mod to those buildings where you can control taxes etc. ???? It would definatly expand the game. Or not do it trough a buildng but add it to the game whenever you guys update it, perhaps make it something people can choose to use or not, like you want to play with or without tax/budget control :) Still even trough buildings then people can also choose if they want to use it or not by making on those pretty switches like for some power plant that you can turn on or off :)

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but the way it's set up the "income" created at building represents the income from tax. Since the happiness of sims is not connected to their income or work, rather the venues, adjusting this amount would do nothing but change your income, which is kind of what this already does. It wouldn't have any additional affect on things like traffic, school, etc as they don't actually have upkeep or anything, this is just basically about cash.

You could probably just attach a script that activates when you receive income and cuts/increases it by a percent to achieve the same tax concept your comments suggests to me.

To get something like the tax/budget thing in SC4 you would have to do something a lot more complex. Something like adding scripts that changed specific building occupancies, or changed abilities. You could do something like changing the effectiveness of mind alteration buildings via ability manipulation, percent chance to spawn 'special' sims at specific buildings(if thats even changeable through scripts) like firehouses, etc. I think it would require a LOT of scripting to actually get an in-game effect other than cash flow.

Return to “Mods (Files)”