Service Station & Solar Panels

Post or download mods and height maps here!
Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:11 pm

Zach wrote:I make a motion that this thread be deleted and the OP be banned (for his choice of user names). :p

Seriously, though, I find this rather disrespectful. I mean, BP did partner with EA to bring us this game (http://bpsimcitysocieties.com), and also, for an energy company, BP is one of the better ones being the most eco-friendly and all.

What's your problem with BP? You work for Exxon-Mobil or something? :D

Then their partnering should have reduced the price but it didn't. The game still sold for $49.95 in my area and branded with the BP logo on so many buildings. That's disrespectful if you ask me. In game advertising would be fine in my opinion if it offered a reduced price of the game for the consumer but it didn't. Either TM/EA decided to just add a bit of realism by branding buildings with the BP logos or BP payed some money to get their logos into the game which should compensate by reducing the costs of the game for the consumer. While the OP's username is disrespectful to the BP corporation, just having the logo in the game and selling it at full price is disrespectful to the consumer, so it goes both ways here my friend, both ways.

However I agree with one of the users that said, why not make it a new version so that the player can choose either or both filling stations and windfarms with the logo or without. I turned the BP'd logoed 50's gas station into a texaco station but can't figure out yet how to get both into the game, so far I've only figured out how to replace the existing textures with my own reskinned textures. Maybe one day I'll make it as both.

Having more choices of buildings even if they are only devoid of the BP logo is a good thing, the more buildings the merrier so that the cities can look more diversified instead of each block of houses looking exactly like the other block of houses which gets extremely boring to look at, so more the merier I say.
Last edited by Kuplo on Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jodet

Postby Jodet » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:43 pm

Zach wrote:I make a motion that this thread be deleted and the OP be banned (for his choice of user names). :p

Seriously, though, I find this rather disrespectful. I mean, BP did partner with EA to bring us this game (http://bpsimcitysocieties.com), and also, for an energy company, BP is one of the better ones being the most eco-friendly and all.

What's your problem with BP? You work for Exxon-Mobil or something? :D

In game advertising is BULL****. If people do artwork to remove the BP ads from this game I might actually buy it. Otherwise, NO SALE.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:11 pm

<still laughing>

I cannot believe some of the visceral reactions over BP logos in the game. They are amazing.

Hey, whatever floats yer boat. ;)

Mod & enjoy or don't mod & enjoy. However, refusing to buy the game cuz they are present is really cracking me up.

<ducking>

zero7

Postby zero7 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:37 pm

What's really funny is if BP have actually paid to have thier logo in game when the service station is such an easy building to reskin - there'll be other real-world petrol/gas brands within weeks (amd they'll have their 'advertising' for free!).

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:45 pm

well if you think about it that way it almost seems liek a punishment to ahve paid for it o_0
other companies get it for free lmao

mountanddo

Postby mountanddo » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:37 pm

bpsucks wrote:If i knew it was sponsored by BP I wouldnt have purchased it at full price, if at all.

I've updated the package with the wind farm, 50s gas station, hydrop plant and the 'bp truck', im sure theres some others hiding, let me know and theyll be changed too.

Oh yes you would of or you wouldn't be playing it now in protest. And getting into it so much you started playing around with the files. Let's be honest here.

bpsucks

Postby bpsucks » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:23 am

Like I said I would not have paid full price or paid anything at all, not like one has to pay money for video games nowendays.

I'd at least have waited to get it used for $30 or so then I wouldnt have such an issue.

Just because of the BP issue doesnt mean I wont play the game (or love doing so).

Glad to see I started such a hot topic over here on the TM forums.

I am working on a "Willie Nelson Gas Station" (same service station, diffrent colors) and maybe some more (better) alternative fuel sources.

Thanks for all the replys!

** no doubt that BP doesnt even really offer any of these alternative energy sources their trying to promote:
http://bpsimcitysocieties.com/about-alternative-energy/

They say they do Solar and have 2 wind farms in the Netherlands
They are interested in hydro (using coal) and natrual gass, neither one are renewable energy resources (doh).

This is a sham.

SimCities has never branded anything, its hard to find anything in english or with a "logo" of any sorts in ANY version of SimCity.
The rest of this game doesnt have any logos or any legible words.
Last edited by bpsucks on Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:32 pm

it doesn't seem that TM cares that your modding BP out of the game lmao
I have seen several threads vanish since this was posted and if they did 'care' this thread would have been one of them o_0

Rnett

Postby Rnett » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:57 pm

It was inevitable, people were talking about removing the logos well before the game was even released.

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:02 pm

personally I neither love nor hate BP
but..
I remember being worried that I would one day have to sit through a series of periodic commercials to play most video games :mad:
(I am scared what will come of all this advertisement)
Somebody mentioned that the original idea behind paying for Cable tv was to avoid all the commercials on 'free' cable :rolleyes:
if they ruined that then Im sure they will ruin other things that you have to pay for :(
and people pay constantly for cable access whereas they pay ONCE for video games..

thegrad

Postby thegrad » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:19 pm

King Faticus wrote:personally I neither love nor hate BP
but..
I remember being worried that I would one day have to sit through a series of periodic commercials to play most video games :mad:
(I am scared what will come of all this advertisement)
Somebody mentioned that the original idea behind paying for Cable tv was to avoid all the commercials on 'free' cable :rolleyes:
if they ruined that then Im sure they will ruin other things that you have to pay for :(
and people pay constantly for cable access whereas they pay ONCE for video games..

The only way to keep advertisement out of video games is for people not to buy the games that have it in them. No sales, the advertising will stop.

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:29 pm

well do people stop paying for cable despite their being commercials?
(keeping in mind that paid cable was originally commercial free)

thegrad

Postby thegrad » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:51 am

King Faticus wrote:well do people stop paying for cable despite their being commercials?
(keeping in mind that paid cable was originally commercial free)

Premium channels are still free of advertising. I would pay more for a game that was advertising free if that was one way to keep it in check.

johnstumbo

Postby johnstumbo » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:00 am

This thread is really pushing the limits get a life guys.

Corinthian

Postby Corinthian » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:39 pm

bpsucks wrote:
Glad to see I started such a hot topic over here on the TM forums.

Actually, this is the thread that started this topic. Pretty good read if have a moment. :cool:

I waited to purchase the game until both 1) the price dropped to a level I felt was fair given the in-game advertising and 2) someone created a mod to get the advertising out.

Both conditions were met. I only paid USD30.00 for the game through Amazon, and bpsucks created the mod. Thank you very much for modding the BP logo out of the game, bpsucks.

bpsucks

Postby bpsucks » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:47 pm

No problem!

If i knew what you knew before I purchased SCS I would have done the same!

Your welcome for the mod! Im sure MANY people are buying SCS now because of this mod!

Can I get a cut of the profits EA?

Khanon

Postby Khanon » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:36 pm

Don't hurt your arm there, Sport...

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:31 am

thegrad wrote:The only way to keep advertisement out of video games is for people not to buy the games that have it in them. No sales, the advertising will stop.

Well, somehow the publishers need to be notified that the reason people are not buying the game is because of the ingame advertising, else they might mistakenly just think that the particular genre of the game is a dying breed, and we all know that it's feast or famon for CB genre games, so we don't need any publishers thinking that their sales are bad because all the CB players have died and turned to dust and now it's time for only FPS and RPG's now do we.

Khanon

Postby Khanon » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:00 am

On top of that, it generally has the opposite effect on the purchase prices and in game adverts... The less they make from sales, the more they have to make up for it elsewhere. Games are so vastly and immensely far from cheap to make...

WilliamMiles

Postby WilliamMiles » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:23 am

"bpsucks" wrote:This is an update to remove the BP logo from the Service station and the solar panel (anywhere else?).

I made a scpack but It didnt work.

If these logos are anywhere else let me know.

There is only 1 good source for renewable engery.

----

Contains:
major wind farm
wind farm
50s gas station
service station
hydro power plant
solar farm
solar panel (ontop of buildings)
bp truck

Anyone want to make a pack for it?

Were you able to find right place for logo? i have got new solar panel industry so please share some information
Last edited by WilliamMiles on Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Mods (Files)”