[Mod] Barbecue Pit Fix

Post or download mods and height maps here!
capncbr

[Mod] Barbecue Pit Fix

Postby capncbr » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:34 pm

What is it?
An edited Barbecue Pit file that changes the cost to $200.

lol, why?
Because the Barbecue Pit is far and away the most broken building in the game, by virtue of its extremely low cost. For a few thousand Simoleons you can spam a bunch of them and generate hundreds of points of Prosperity.

That's lame though, why would I do that?
You probably won't spam barbecue pits all over the place, considering that half the fun of SCS is building an aesthetically pleasing city. The issue is that strategic balancing must be done independently of aesthetic considerations. Anything less is lazy.

I think maybe the barbecue pit was originally intended to be more expensive. If you look inside the corresponding XML, the RecycleRefund is 70. All other buildings have a recycle refund of half their cost. Was the barbecue pit supposed to be $140? I think $200 is more reasonable though, considering its other abilities and the potential for combining them with a Billboard.

I'm not convinced.
Then don't download it ;)

I AM convinced. You're right about everything! How do I install?
Because the fix modifies an existing game file, it can't be distributed as an SCSPack. Instead you will have to download the attached file, unzip it, and copy the XML file to your [install root]\Data\XMLDb\Game\Objects\Buildings. Windows will ask you whether to overwrite the old file; say Yes.

Anything else?
Nope. Enjoy your new fair-and-balanced barbecue pits!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by capncbr on Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Lattiak

Postby Mike Lattiak » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:42 pm

I love the format of your post! It's awesome!

David Beebe

Postby David Beebe » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:54 pm

Here I thought you figured out how to get the bbq pits to spawn children... (where's that other thread?) :D

capncbr

Postby capncbr » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:24 pm

um, if anyone just downloaded it, do it again because I uploaded the wrong one. Oops!

lol @ Mike, well imitation is the highest form of flattery!

and I forgot about the children thing! I'll have to make another one that spews out hordes of orphans...

zero7

Postby zero7 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:22 am

You should make it spew zombies ... Welcome to the BBQ Pit of Hell! :D

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:56 am

David Beebe wrote:Here I thought you figured out how to get the bbq pits to spawn children... (where's that other thread?) :D

http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14572

Is this the thread?

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:32 pm

zero7 wrote:You should make it spew zombies ... Welcome to the BBQ Pit of Hell! :D

...or bacon-wrapped hot dogs bouncing down the street...

David Beebe

Postby David Beebe » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:26 pm

Akodis

Postby Akodis » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:55 pm

capncbr wrote:What is it?
Because the Barbecue Pit is far and away the most broken building in the game, by virtue of its extremely low cost. For a few thousand Simoleons you can spam a bunch of them and generate hundreds of points of Prosperity.

I think $200 is more reasonable though, considering its other abilities and the potential for combining them with a Billboard.

Have you considered spamming a bunch of them between 4 billboards? :eek:

Khanon

Postby Khanon » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:08 pm

capncbr wrote:That's lame though, why would I do that?
You probably won't spam barbecue pits all over the place, considering that half the fun of SCS is building an aesthetically pleasing city. The issue is that strategic balancing must be done independently of aesthetic considerations. Anything less is lazy.

Thanks for the information in general, but I'm just going to have to plain disagree with the point made here. It's lazy to ignore aesthetics and just spam units that generate what you want. It's far more complex and anything but lazy to force yourself to take well into consideration aesthetics while remaining strategically balanced.

Anyone can spam units off in the corner of the map or even in the town square to generate points where they are falling short. It takes a creative and at least semi-intelligent person to bring both under one roof. In fact, I think there's been more than one discussion regarding people spamming decorations to get points up to build a town fast instead of working within the restrictions of aesthetics. That's lazy. It's harder to do it "the right way". (though I'm not saying the game is hard, per se... just that one aspect is harder in relation to the other).

Strategic balancing independent of aesthetic consideration is "who gives a **** how ugly it is...it makes money". That's the lazy way.

Return to “Mods (Files)”