RBB SCS - Social Evolution Mod 1b - Reproductive Rights

Post or download mods and height maps here!
richardbrucebaxter

RBB SCS - Social Evolution Mod 1b - Reproductive Rights

Postby richardbrucebaxter » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:18 pm

This mod allows a Capitalist society's values to be created and re-enforced based upon the evolution of Reproductive Rights.

Richard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by richardbrucebaxter on Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

richardbrucebaxter

Details

Postby richardbrucebaxter » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:38 pm

Note this mod is a subset of a larger mod designed to emulate social evolution in a capitalist society. It includes the following;

New buildings (workplaces):

Code: Select all

Name               Replica Building   Required Prosperity   Required Spirituality   Cost      Conditioning   Happiness   Prosperity   Creativity   Authority   Income
   Prostitution House         Concourse Hotel      >50         < 10         5000      standard   0      +20            +5      1000
   Contraceptive Factory      Textile Factory      >100         < 20         5000      standard   0      +20      +5            1000
   Objectification Manufacturer      Tract Mansion      >150         < 30         5000      standard   0      +20            +5      1000
   Sensual Entertainment Centre      Nightclub      >200         < 40         5000      standard   0      +20      +5            1000
   Abortion Clinic         Hospital      >250         < 50         5000      standard   0      +20            +5      1000
   Marriage Councillor         Meeting House      >300         < 60         5000      standard   0      +20      +5            1000
   Euthanasia Ward         Animal Rescue Office   >350         < 70         5000      standard   0      +20            +5      1000
   Artificial Insemination Station   Doctor's Office      >400         < 80         5000      standard   0      +20      +5            1000
   Genetic Shop            Pet Shop      >450         < 90         5000      standard   0      +20            +5      1000

New clothing:

This mod also includes a first attempt at correcting the inherent bias in sim clothing selection. It could be argued that the majority of resident clothing selected for sim's in this game are indicative of a capitalist society, which in this game is defined to have a dominant value for "prosperity" as opposed to any other social value. So at least one other social value has been chosen to result in a preference for clothing indicative of itself, and for those residences valuing "spirituality" above other social energies (Eg Farm House / Homestead) sim clothing is replaced with western clothing pre 1950s, via a new clothingset called "Conservative".
Last edited by richardbrucebaxter on Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richardbrucebaxter

statistics

Postby richardbrucebaxter » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:36 pm

for reference only
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:31 pm

"richardbrucebaxter" wrote:Note this mod is a subset of a larger mod designed to emulate social evolution in a capitalist society. It includes the following;

Your buildings seem a little underpriced for the societal values they grant (+20 prosperity for only 5,000?! :eek :)
Since they all are basically the same in that respect I assume there are some other differences in the buildings.. What other types of effect do they generate?

I also find it hard to understand the logic as to why some of those locations have conditioning.

"richardbrucebaxter" wrote:New clothing:
This mod also includes a first attempt at correcting the inherent bias in sim clothing selection. It could be argued that the majority of resident clothing selected for sim's in this game are indicative of a capitalist society, which in this game is defined to have a dominant value for "prosperity" as opposed to any other social value.

I was unaware of this effect ... I had always though the clothing sets were based on the Sims Home and Workplace. May I ask which file controls clothing based on societal values, as I would like to look into this phenomenon as well.

"richardbrucebaxter" wrote:So at least one other social value has been chosen to result in a preference for clothing indicative of itself, and for those residences valuing "spirituality" above other social energies (Eg Farm House / Homestead) sim clothing is replaced with western clothing pre 1950s, via a new clothingset called "Conservative".

When you say 'replaced' is tis a substitution only in certain societies, or is it a permanent replacement even in small town or spiritual socieities?

Lastly can you post some images of your buildings and clothing?

Thanks, in advance :D

richardbrucebaxter

Postby richardbrucebaxter » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:24 am

Hey Midrealm,

To answer your questions;

The buildings are intentionally under priced, as they are seen to actually prevent a society from reaching maximum happiness (due to conditioning), but am open to suggestions on this.

I considered giving these buildings differences in income generation / social value creation - but held off on this as it would bias their selection in the long term (like say building a fusion power plant instead of a fission power plant). I am open to suggestions on how their effect on a society might differ. When investigating scenarios I came to the conclusion that what I really needed in SCS to properly model social evolution was the ability to remove (rather than use "-") a social energy, as a building which uses ("-") a social energy cannot operate when there is not enough of it and the building is therefore useless.

By replaced, I do mean a permanent substitution. SCS clothing sets are based upon home and workplace, and appear to be independent of a society's archetype (I did a check of this earlier). This would have been the optimum solution as clothing selection in the real world generally follows trends (fashion) which are constrained by popular opinion (social energy).

The buildings are indeed replicas - and there is currently no new texture overlays. If someone can get a hold of a .XAC editor I would probably do some SCS modelling (I read your previous post about this being one of the major deficits of SCS).

Thanks for your feedback,

Richard

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:40 am

"richardbrucebaxter" wrote:The buildings are intentionally under priced, as they are seen to actually prevent a society from reaching maximum happiness (due to conditioning), but am open to suggestions on this.

Ahh - Of course but it also prevents them from being upset. I don't know if there is a way to have a workplace make workers less happy, but you could have it affect nearby venues (reducing happiness or atractiveness or both)

Players will want to place the building away from venues as such, but this means the employees of such workplaces would have to travel further to reach venues, and thus have less time for visiting them and be unhappier.
A convoluted approach but it should work in theory.

"richardbrucebaxter" wrote:I considered giving these buildings differences in income generation / social value creation - but held off on this as it would bias their selection in the long term (like say building a fusion power plant instead of a fission power plant). I am open to suggestions on how their effect on a society might differ. When investigating scenarios I came to the conclusion that what I really needed in SCS to properly model social evolution was the ability to remove (rather than use "-") a social energy, as a building which uses ("-") a social energy cannot operate when there is not enough of it and the building is therefore useless.

You could use an ability emmitter (at full map radius) to reduce the production of a certain societal value (using an negative insterad of a positive). So that placing building X would reduce the production of all Spirituality (or other value) by 5%, 10% or whatever.

This would have a lesser impact on societies that did not need/use alot of the value but would be more in keeping with your goals (If I understand them correctly)

But you it would need to have a good effect to make player's willing to place it. So balancing negative effect, positive effect and societal values can be tricky.

Other ideas would be to affect the spawn chance of certain types of Sims, reduceing the chances of beneficial ones or increasing the chances of harmful ones.
The Prostitution house could increase criminal activity (and maybe spawn criminals), Artificial Insemination would be ideal for increasing chance of child sims (but since child sims are spawned differently than all others I don't know if this would work)
Euthenasia Ward might increase capacity at hospitals.
And (if you wanted to push the boundries of poor taste) the Abortion clinic could spawn ghosts.

Also some (or most) of those locations seem like they would be more approprate as Venues than Workplaces, but that is more of a personal opinion. :p

"richardbrucebaxter" wrote:By replaced, I do mean a permanent substitution. SCS clothing sets are based upon home and workplace, and appear to be independent of a society's archetype (I did a check of this earlier). This would have been the optimum solution as clothing selection in the real world generally follows trends (fashion) which are constrained by popular opinion (social energy).

Hrmm - Thats a shame,
I wonder what would happen if you redefined a 'Clothing set' in the 'Cultural Car sets' file?
Last edited by MidrealmDM70 on Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

richardbrucebaxter

Postby richardbrucebaxter » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:08 pm

"MidrealmDM70" wrote:... but it also prevents them from being upset.

For a capitalist society this is not necessarily a good trade off - where as for an authoritarian state I don't think this would matter. They each have a capacity for 20 "workers", so they are not only producing a lot of income (as well as social energy output), they are also performing a high amount of social conditioning.

"MidrealmDM70" wrote:I don't know if there is a way to have a workplace make workers less happy, but you could have it affect nearby venues (reducing happiness or atractiveness or both)

Thanks for this idea - and I understand how this would be appropriate to model also. Your idea about the venue travel time was also interesting.

"MidrealmDM70" wrote:You could use an ability emmitter (at full map radius) to reduce the production of a certain societal value (using an negative insterad of a positive).

Thanks for this idea Midrealm - this appears to be what I was after.

"MidrealmDM70" wrote:Other ideas would be to affect the spawn chance of certain types of Sims, reduceing the chances of beneficial ones or increasing the chances of harmful ones...

These were very cool ideas in general, but as you say some of these might be extending the creative licence a bit far.

"MidrealmDM70" wrote:Also some (or most) of those locations seem like they would be more appropriate as Venues than Workplaces

I agree, however at the time I wanted the ability for these buildings to create income for a society thereby making them an attractive x term solution for a government.

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:41 pm

"richardbrucebaxter" wrote:For a capitalist society this is not necessarily a good trade off - where as for an authoritarian state I don't think this would matter. They each have a capacity for 20 "workers", so they are not only producing a lot of income (as well as social energy output), they are also performing a high amount of social conditioning.

Well the office buildings have the 'synergy' ability that adds a big boost of simoleans. It is charged by a number of visits from content workers only, anything else actually reduces the number of visits. So in my book, if you are needing big cash boosts content workers in capatalism is a good thing.

"richardbrucebaxter" wrote:These were very cool ideas in general, but as you say some of these might be extending the creative licence a bit far.

Yes, some would - but some might be workable and still (hopefully) not be offensive.
Edit: The abortion clinc might instead greatly reduce happiness/attractiveness of Child-Safe venues only. While the Fertility clinic could have the opposite effect.

"richardbrucebaxter" wrote:I agree, however at the time I wanted the ability for these buildings to create income for a society thereby making them an attractive x term solution for a government.

I believe there is an ability (Taxable gate?) that grants a monetary gain to the treasury for each visit. Although I have never experimented with it to know for sure how it works. But if it works the way I think it does, you could make a venue that paid into the treasury a small amount per visiting Sim.

Or make an auto activated_cooldown ability that was charged by visits that would (max 1/24 hour period) pay a lump sum into the treasury.

This would easily simulate the effect while still being a venue.
But a venue that makes money would be a high desire for players (imagine a city with no workplace - only venues - and it still is making money), so again a reason to impose some negative effects.
Last edited by MidrealmDM70 on Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richardbrucebaxter

Postby richardbrucebaxter » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:23 pm

Midrealm,

Thanks for all of your excellent ideas. I will investigate changing the workplaces to venues, and will most likely implement the global social energy modifiers.

I am still not sure about contentness being the aim for a capitalist society (possibly there are times when a society may help itself self out when it sees there is a problem - the synergy feedback scenario you have outlined makes sense - when the going gets tough...), however when I played it, it seemed implicit in the game that happiness is the aim of sims and hence their society except in those societies where conditioning is mandated and they don't necessarily want to be happy.

In general I am not a massive fan of special sims and micro management - they look cool and I don't mind them having some minor role, but they potentially make the game overly complex if one treats SCS as a simulator with optimum paths. (note that I don't own destinations), but I think your suggestions for individual building functionality were pretty sweet and so may start to work on this also.

Cheers,

Richard

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:31 pm

"richardbrucebaxter" wrote:Midrealm,

Thanks for all of your excellent ideas. I will investigate changing the workplaces to venues, and will most likely implement the global social energy modifiers.

I am still not sure about contentness being the aim for a capitalist society (possibly there are times when a society may help itself self out when it sees there is a problem - the synergy feedback scenario you have outlined makes sense - when the going gets tough...), however when I played it, it seemed implicit in the game that happiness is the aim of sims and hence their society except in those societies where conditioning is mandated and they don't necessarily want to be happy.

In general I am not a massive fan of special sims and micro management - they look cool and I don't mind them having some minor role, but they potentially make the game overly complex if one treats SCS as a simulator with optimum paths. (note that I don't own destinations), but I think your suggestions for individual building functionality were pretty sweet and so may start to work on this also.

Cheers,

Richard

You are most welcome, if you need any assistance or just want to brainstorm some ideas - send me a PM.

richardbrucebaxter

Postby richardbrucebaxter » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:14 pm

Attached is an updated version of the greater social evolution mod (version 1c). This version simulates social evolution by triggering both positive and negative energy emitters (based on advice from Midrealm). Positive emitters are triggered by all buildings (determined by a building's required/generated values), but only operate locally (currently set to distance of "10"). Buildings like to be placed next to buildings of similar values (they enhance the energy output of buildings representing similar values), and so this mod encourages the player to evolve their society in accordance with (subject to) natural biases to group together with like others. Only particular buildings (a subset of those created previously) have the capacity to reduce the energy output of other buildings, but this affects the entire region (to a distance of "1000" units). Currently this is only a minor feature of the mod.

SCS RBB Mod - Social Evolution 1c ii - 03March2015a - Demo 1.gif:

SCS RBB Mod - Social Evolution 1c ii - 03March2015a - Demo 2.gif:

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:46 am

Interesting. Also surprising to see someone still modding this. I'd continue if I wasn't so busy with other mattes. :)

Return to “Mods (Files)”