The day has finally arrived!

Everything Hinterland that doesn't fit elsewhere
tyjenks

Postby tyjenks » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:51 am

Not many details, but I believe that each character will have a different. singular task. You will represent one and can choose who to bring along to fight. I believe they will fight on their own. You may very well bring along the farmer or blacksmith, but then if he or she gets killed, your village will be short that profession.

tomnobles

Hinterlands links to:

Postby tomnobles » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:59 am

"dorn" wrote:Is it also a word used in english or what?DoRN

I was going to answer the question, then I noticed it was already answered, so I'll give you a few links you can check out!

This one is about the World of Warcraft: http://www.wowwiki.com/Hinterlands

This one I found at Game Spot. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Hinterlands Map http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/warcraft3thefrozenthrone/download_6112682.html

Never played either one, just being informative. :)

EmperorJay

Postby EmperorJay » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:59 am

You're making the same mistake I often make when I type up the title, Tom: the game's called Hinterland without the "s"! Here's the Wiki article on Hinterland: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinterland

As for the depth of the RPG system. Interesting question! I hope they link the two systems. Without knowing any possible statistics, I'd be cool if, for example, the Blacksmith gets +1 skill in smithing and +2 skill in Axes for every 2 points of Strength.

getter77

Postby getter77 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:49 am

Yet another new arrival to congratulate on this venture and express a strong desire for it to turn out fantastic, memorable, and nigh everlasting.

In my mind, "touched" as it may be, I dub this the Rustic Townie Roguelike :cool:

alh_p

Postby alh_p » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:49 am

I am VERY interested in this game. I love the concept and I have confidence that you can pull it off.

I am as of now, eagerly awaiting it's release and the beta trial :D

Laclongquan

Postby Laclongquan » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:21 am

"EmperorJay" wrote:
As for the depth of the RPG system. Interesting question! I hope they link the two systems. Without knowing any possible statistics, I'd be cool if, for example, the Blacksmith gets +1 skill in smithing and +2 skill in Axes for every 2 points of Strength.

I partly agree with you. But linking should be done carefully, or fans will howl. For example, blacksmith get + in smith due to increase of Dexterity, not Strength. Precise is more important than Strong, in Smithing.

tomnobles

Postby tomnobles » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:38 am

"Laclongquan" wrote:For example, blacksmith get + in smith due to increase of Dexterity, not Strength. Precise is more important than Strong, in Smithing.

Is that the logic most RPG's use?

Greentongue

Postby Greentongue » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:28 pm

"tomnobles" wrote:Is that the logic most RPG's use?

Does it matter?
As long as the relationship is clearly defined in THIS game, they can make it whichever they want. They don't have to follow RPG misconceptions.

My calander shows only 2 weeks of August left. The convention I'm concerned with right now is the definition of "Summer". ;)
=

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:37 pm

Autumn Begins with the Equinox doesn't it?

the Equinox is on September 22nd

tyjenks

Postby tyjenks » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:46 pm

"King Faticus" wrote:Autumn Begins with the Equinox doesn't it?

the Equinox is on September 22nd

That date is also my birthday, although I would prefer, in this case, my birthday gift comes early. Also, King's Bounty comes out that day. It's gonna be a busy game playing Fall around the tyjenks' household.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:04 pm

Summer ends when I stop sweating and baking. ;)

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:47 pm

you know.. every time I see this thread I think for a split second that it means the game was released.

hmm curse you OP.... curse you....

*runs away crying*

Jesse_Dylan

Postby Jesse_Dylan » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:19 pm

I thought that, too. :) Or at least that a demo was available.

Should be great when it does release, though. I love the concept. It's very vaguely like Majesty, the concept of which I also loved, but in practice it was still a ton of micromanagement and got extremely difficult.

I have high hopes for Hinterlands. I even love the vibe. And the title.

I wish you the best, Tilted Mill! I'm already in line for purchase. No pressure, though. :)

clobberella

Postby clobberella » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:55 pm

When O Great Ones, do we get to see a demo??

I'm dying from the suspense! :D

Speculation can only carry us so far... :rolleyes:

Nighteyes

Postby Nighteyes » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:09 am

*starts chanting in the streets out side their offices*

DEMO, DEMO, WE WANT A DEMO!!!!! :D :D :eek:

Come on TM Please :( . We promise not to rant and rave about bugs :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

SammyF

Postby SammyF » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:08 pm

Hey TM, good luck with the development. I saw this title mentioned on Gamespy a few days back and immediately started trying to figure out where I could buy it--until I realized you were still developing it. :p Sounds like a lot of fun, though, like Majesty but with more player interactivity. Really excited to see how it turns out. Please keep us informed!

Khanon

Postby Khanon » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:15 pm

I'm not a bandwagon jumper-oner...or whatever you want to call it. I will of course wish them luck (yeah, I've been a member of the forums for a little bit and just now getting to this post... :p ).

It will be interesting, indeed, to see how it all pans out. I'm going to hold my speculations until such time as I see a working demo, then see where my opinion goes from there.

Psalm51

Postby Psalm51 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:06 am

Khanon...Is your glass half full or half empty? As a natural optimist (it goes in our family, so I am told) and given the track record of these guys, how can we not hope for the best. Now Hinterland is not a city builder and trying a new genre is never easy, but it should bode well for freshness. I am a great fan of Triumph Studios but they wore their Age of Wonders series out before trying something new with Overlord. Now Overlord was not perfect but there were signs of great ingenuity and good ideas spilling out of the game. Developers, like you and me, have to try new things or their ideas get old. Heck, even Valve have tried some homebrew projects (was Portal one of their games?).

Khanon

Postby Khanon » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:22 pm

I'm trying to figure out where you're going with your reply to me...I did say I hope they do well with it. I also said I'll reserve judgment until I've tried it. I'm not going to, however, sound like they stopped short while I was following them. ;)

I can't gush anymore at games. I like them, or don't like them, and don't judge them either way until I try them for myself, since forums and opinion posts are rarely an accurate accounting of how I might or might not enjoy a thing. *shrugs* It's pretty simple, really.

fleshtonegolem

Postby fleshtonegolem » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:10 pm

I can certainly say this;

I am really stoked to try it out.

Even if it's not the best executed game, it will be so refreshing to play something of this cross genre.

The idea of Guild meets Rogue type play meets majesty is awesome. :)

I am so glad someone finally decided to make a game like this.

It's got the elements I've been craving from all the genres I listed in one nice package.

If it lives up to the developers expectations I can't imagine it not being one of my favs this year. :)

Return to “General Discussion”