Tales of Hinterland; A Heroic Encounter (from a beta tester)

Everything Hinterland that doesn't fit elsewhere
Reed

Tales of Hinterland; A Heroic Encounter (from a beta tester)

Postby Reed » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:23 pm

We thought you might find the following interesting. This is from a Hinterland beta tester.

Enjoy!

I had a wonderful heroic encounter last night that I wanted to share.

About 2/3 of the way through an Easy / Long mission - playing a dwarf warrior, and I hadn't found fresh water yet. My potion count, while decent (think I had 10) had no way of replenishing it.

Finally as a blind stab (I was playing All resources On, but not visible), I found the well guarded by skeletons. Far too many skull and crossbones for my level, and the little red bar on the map site was all the way up. My party was myself (level 9 - sword and board defender), an Acolyte (still level 1) and a level 7 hunter with a bow.

I knew I was in trouble when I needed to get within range of one of the monsters to actually identify what the site was, and the level 11 zombie was none to happy to see me...

I pull them out one at a time, taking a long time to kill them, but surviving and healing up between pulls... until the last two that seemed to be standing on top of each other and not moving...so I knew they would both be coming together. A level 11 skeleton and a level 13 Fallen Hero ! Deciding that I need some more firepower - I head back to town and grab the highest level towns-person I could find.. a level 4 rancher. Drafted him into service as a caster with a wand, the second best shield I could find, plate armor, and a + attack misc item and set off back to my doom.

My goal was to gun down the level 11 as quickly as possible while enduring the punishment from the Fallen hero - but of course it didn't turn out like that. My caster was happy to assist me with the Skeleton, while the archer decided he could take the Fallen Hero by himself... needless to say he got out of there by the skin of his teeth (fled) - while I kept pounding away on the Skeleton... the Hero took off after the fleeing archer, which gave me and my Rancher time to finish off the skeleton and await the return of the Fallen Hero. My Acolyte's arms must have been falling off from casting so much.... Incoming Hero....

....Who Immediately runs over and 1 shots the rancher... ( :p ) he dropped like a ton of bricks, and nothing in my power could have stopped it. An EPIC battle ensues - my healer doing his best, and me supplementing his regeneration with Health pots for a 4 minute (!) slugfest which I barely won. Little more than a sliver of life left, and 1 health potion left in the bag.

Reward:
a 10 attack (very fast) 1h sword, a set of 8 AC magical plate armor, A crystal Ball, 45 gold, and A CHEST full of all sorts of other goodies.... Almost doubling my attack power while simultaneously more than doubling my defense, and giving 2 of my followers weapon upgrades as well.

Oh - and access to the well to boot.

walkstheplanes

Postby walkstheplanes » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:30 pm

Oh boy. The game sounds like it's got a good amount of depth to it -- resource management (seeking a source of fresh water, for one), inventory, character management, etc etc...

I don't know what to expect fully from this game, but I really look forward to it.

fleshtonegolem

Postby fleshtonegolem » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:38 pm

I can't wait!

Sounds awesome!

I like the fact that there is enough action in a resource managment type game to keep you coming back for more. :)

Sounds very cool.

I'm sure that this will be taking up most of my cpu time for a good month after it comes out. :)

Laclongquan

Postby Laclongquan » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:49 am

your butcher bill also contained the rancher, ya? the highest level townperson you got.

I dont know how vital the rancher is, how replacable he is, or how long till you have to replace him, so I cant say how tall that bill is. Either a reasonable, or a sky-high, one.

While the loots are good, I am sure the townies will grumble over how you drag one of them to die for your riches.

sapien82

Postby sapien82 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:06 am

highest level townsperson , dies for a fresh water supply , which saves your village id say it was worth it ! ( the town bard will sing of his sacrafice for years to come !

how awesome cant wait
Last edited by sapien82 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CustodianV131

Postby CustodianV131 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:27 pm

Great story!

Can't wait to begin writing my own!

Sleet

Postby Sleet » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:32 pm

Aye, great tale. Thanks for sharing! :)

Aushun

Postby Aushun » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:48 am

The whole battle part of it sounds incredibly familiar, but there's an added level of complexity because of the resource management thrown into the mix. I'm very, very intrigued!

Sandra Linkletter

Postby Sandra Linkletter » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:38 am

I dunno, the more I read and see, the more I think I'll wait and see what a larger sample of people have to say about the actual game. The trailer reminded my husband of Dungeon Seige, which he plays when he needs a quick fix of action gaming, and it looked pretty frenetic to me. I'm not very excited about the prospect of spending 4 minutes clicking on healing potions to barely win a battle, after losing a vital townsperson. So far all I have seen is combat, a map that looked like a tablecloth covered in acorns and easter eggs, and very little indication of settlement planning or a feeling of involvement with the characters. I'm hoping that the advertisements are slanted towards the "excitement" of combat since that is what sells to the typical market target of young, single males.

I'm also reluctant on account of the marketing method. I have bought downloaded software before, but downloaded software that requires me to also install what is essentially spyware that calls home whenever I want to play the game is quite another thing. I block the Internet access for CD-based games after I have registered them. The publishers don't need to know when I am playing their games, and in fact I don't always have a functioning Internet connection, so any single-player game that requires me to connect to the Internet before I can play is something that I don't want.

Maybe in a week or two, everything will be more clear for people like me. :)

tobing

Postby tobing » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:54 am

Steam does require an account, where your game is booked on. So you need internet connection to purchase a game, and to download it. Not to forget, if you want an update.

You do not need internet connection to play the game on Steam, just the local Steam client to start the game.

Sandra Linkletter

Postby Sandra Linkletter » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:07 pm

"tobing" wrote:Steam does require an account, where your game is booked on. So you need internet connection to purchase a game, and to download it. Not to forget, if you want an update.

You do not need internet connection to play the game on Steam, just the local Steam client to start the game.

And you don't have to log onto Steam in order for the game to run, thereafter? I'm asking because I see people posting about Steam games requiring that.

I'm used to getting updates online, and as I said, I have bought a number of programs online (WS_FTP and an RPG map-making program, among others). I'm just not keen on anything that begins to resemble a webapp.

Aristoi

Postby Aristoi » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:29 am

"Sandra Linkletter" wrote:And you don't have to log onto Steam in order for the game to run, thereafter? I'm asking because I see people posting about Steam games requiring that.

You can play Steam games in "Offline Mode":

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-AGCB-2555

I myself am generally not a huge fan of digital only games, but I've never had a problem with Steam and was very glad to see Hinterland picked that service.

Kitano

Postby Kitano » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:14 am

You have to log onto steam every time you want to run in offline mode, so unless you never turn your pc off or use standby mode its pretty worthless.

Peace Phoenix

Postby Peace Phoenix » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:31 am

"Kitano" wrote:You have to log onto steam every time you want to run in offline mode, so unless you never turn your pc off or use standby mode its pretty worthless.

That is why some people are waiting for an Impulse release since you don't need to start an Impulse client when playing a game downloaded with Impulse.

Aristoi

Postby Aristoi » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:03 pm

"Kitano" wrote:You have to log onto steam every time you want to run in offline mode, so unless you never turn your pc off or use standby mode its pretty worthless.

That's not true. You do not need to have an Internet connection to play Steam games in offline mode, or to go into offline mode at all.

When you try and connect, if it does not detect a connection, it will ask you if you'd like to launch Steam in offline mode. You click the button, it does. Simple as that.

Return to “General Discussion”