My thoughts about Hinterland after some minutes

Everything Hinterland that doesn't fit elsewhere
Nenjin

Postby Nenjin » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:43 am

Thanks. I'm having some pretty poor frame rates though, which is pretty surprising. Methinks the game could do with another round of optimization or something.

sapien82

Postby sapien82 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:11 am

i played the game for a few hours last night and didnt find any problems with the gameplay , other than the visitors sidebar sticking once !

with the spell casters , one of my followers was healing my party , however they didnt follow around instea they remained fixed at one point until they had healed themselves and then followed .

I guess they cant move while healing ?
After that i havent used any healers ,i just selected my best townsfolk and got them some nice platemail, and nice swords and axes(magic of course)

my little town is growing nicely .

I love this game :D :D :cool: :eek:

pasmith

Postby pasmith » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:16 pm

My thoughts so far:

A Brief Sidetrip to the Hinterlands/

Sorry, it's kind of long to post in a message.

Peace Phoenix

Postby Peace Phoenix » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:46 pm

Nice post. But I not sure to correctly understand what you means with :
For $20, there seems to be a lot of game in here, even if it starts a bit slowly. But I’d wait before buying.

I should miss something obvious since you need to buy the game from Steam before using it.

kichigai_inu

Postby kichigai_inu » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:56 pm

Yes, healers have to stand still to heal. So that they don't get left behind, just wait until everyone is healed and then continue moving.

pasmith

Postby pasmith » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:28 pm

"Peace Phoenix" wrote:Nice post. But I not sure to correctly understand what you means with :

I should miss something obvious since you need to buy the game from Steam before using it.

It's an expression. It really means:

"I would suggest other people wait before buying, based on my experience."

English can be a sloppy language. :)

tobing

Postby tobing » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:59 pm

"pasmith" wrote:"I would suggest other people wait before buying, based on my experience."

Well well, if I look at games like Darwinia, it may be necessary to wait a few years until prices drop.

And in contrast, I would say that you get a lot of fun playing for the price as it is. If there are enough players of Hinterland, I'm sure there will be patches and addons...

ManBitesDog

necro's skellies

Postby ManBitesDog » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:12 pm

"Diviance" wrote:You devs may want to consider imposing some kind of limit on exactly how high level the pet dragon can get. Running around with a lvl 60+ pet dragon and some lvl 20 skeletons (from the necromancer) makes things a bit.... easy to put it lightly.

To put it a bit more bluntly, it is hilariously broken to be able to one shot anything in the game without actually doing anything yourself.

How do you get the necro to produce skellies? It's the one thing I haven't been able to figure out. I just assumed it was automated (the simplest explanation generally seems to hold in this game) & he would produce them once in your party but that wasn't the case. I researched them for a while then put him into the party & nothing happened. Does it have something to do with the weapon you equip them with? I think I gave mine a meteoric staff...

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:26 pm

"Diviance" wrote:You devs may want to consider imposing some kind of limit on exactly how high level the pet dragon can get. Running around with a lvl 60+ pet dragon and some lvl 20 skeletons (from the necromancer) makes things a bit.... easy to put it lightly.

To put it a bit more bluntly, it is hilariously broken to be able to one shot anything in the game without actually doing anything yourself.

It is fun I agree. But letting a pet dragon sit in his home den eating cows gives you a time penalty in the final scores. I mean if you just wait and wait the dragon to get stronger in town.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:31 pm

"ManBitesDog" wrote:How do you get the necro to produce skellies? It's the one thing I haven't been able to figure out. I just assumed it was automated (the simplest explanation generally seems to hold in this game) & he would produce them once in your party but that wasn't the case. I researched them for a while then put him into the party & nothing happened. Does it have something to do with the weapon you equip them with? I think I gave mine a meteoric staff...

Don't take a necromancer in your party until he has those skellies summoned. If you go to his house you can see him and them if already summoned. His card actually says what's he's doing.
It takes a while, the summoning I mean. Or you can set him to research even more powerful dead if you can wait a bit longer. Then there are items for him that help him to summon them faster (amass them or something).

ManBitesDog

Postby ManBitesDog » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:03 pm

"Kiya" wrote:Don't take a necromancer in your party until he has those skellies summoned. If you go to his house you can see him and them if already summoned. His card actually says what's he's doing.
It takes a while, the summoning I mean. Or you can set him to research even more powerful dead if you can wait a bit longer. Then there are items for him that help him to summon them faster (amass them or something).

Ahh... I see. Thanks. I guess I didn't wait for the necro to actually summon them. I just let him make them more powerful for a while then pulled him into combat. I was expecting him to raise really awesome skellies (I researched for a really long time) from corpses or thin air or something. I guess this way makes a lot more sense given the game mechanics.

Return to “General Discussion”