Retail

Everything Hinterland that doesn't fit elsewhere
Levio91

Retail

Postby Levio91 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:42 pm

Is this game retail or will it ever be? I never buy anything digitally distributed since its nothing and i think it should be illegal.

aeval99

Postby aeval99 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:23 pm

As far as I know, there is no plan to release a boxed version of Hinterland. TM is focusing on being an independent studio and making their own games, which is a great thing. Unfortunately, packaging, discs and shipping costs are not within the sphere of Indie game companies.

I can sympathize with you, as I love to have a pretty case and a nice manual etc., but they seem to be going the way of the Dodo bird. I'm still not completely over having to give up the liner notes from record albums. ;)

I hope that you won't let this great game get away from you simply because of the delivery method.

ADJB

Postby ADJB » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:09 am

Assuming that this game isn't going to be released to retail can I suggest that TM provide a couple of additional pieces of artwork, One for printing on a CD / DVD and for a standard size DVD case so those of us that can print such things can still have a "nice" backup of the download.

aramann

Postby aramann » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:12 am

ADJB, I think you'll REALLY like this. Have fun!
There are some AMAZING images/artwork in Hinterland. You might just want to take a screenshot and paste it in a MS paint file or photoshop or what have you.
Hopefully TM will launch some more images for you and those like you. :)

EDIT: This is, if TM's copyright allows? Reed? Anyone?
Last edited by aramann on Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nenjin

Postby Nenjin » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:19 am

This is my first time using Steam and I've got to say...I don't really like it. Something really bugs me about paying for a game but needing a 3rd party front end to load it. Other indie games like Mount and Blade do their own downloads and licenses...I much prefer that. Just something to think about in the future.

Levio91

Postby Levio91 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:36 am

well ima wait til a retail release. because im not stupid enough to buy nothing. I remember the firts software developers were indys and they released in homade packaging.

Miut

Postby Miut » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:40 am

You can play Hinterland offline. There is an Option in Steam for that.

JuliaSet

Postby JuliaSet » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:00 am

You can also set up your steam preferences to not load when you start the computer. You can set preferences for no steam advertisements. Just go through the Steam tabs and customize it for your own use.

Levio91

Postby Levio91 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:28 am

I want one of the devs to tell me if theres going to be a retail release or not so i can either wait or stop getting hyped.

Merepatra

Postby Merepatra » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:55 am

I have no information about whether they intend to release retail or not but I would doubt it. To do that they would need to get a publisher to distribute it and that would mean they would lose their independence as the costs involved in retail distribution mean that publishers want certain rights and profits. The whole point of online distribution is that it means that developers can distribute and control their own product. Distributing a game isn't cheap, instead of it costing $19.99 you would be paying probably 2 or 3 times that to buy it retail.

What you get online isn't any different, its a program, just instead of it being on a cd its directly on your computer, it runs the same and you have the same rights to it. You certainly aren't buying 'nothing' you are buying a program that people have put many many hours into making.

Levio91

Postby Levio91 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:10 am

"Merepatra" wrote:I have no information about whether they intend to release retail or not but I would doubt it. To do that they would need to get a publisher to distribute it and that would mean they would lose their independence as the costs involved in retail distribution mean that publishers want certain rights and profits. The whole point of online distribution is that it means that developers can distribute and control their own product. Distributing a game isn't cheap, instead of it costing $19.99 you would be paying probably 2 or 3 times that to buy it retail.

What you get online isn't any different, its a program, just instead of it being on a cd its directly on your computer, it runs the same and you have the same rights to it. You certainly aren't buying 'nothing' you are buying a program that people have put many many hours into making.

Wow what a hardhead its ok though, my point is that digital distribution is selling nothing I dont get anything. I want a cd that I can have and it will be guaranteed to work as long as I have a comp and take care of it. Also I cant resell digital distributed copies.

Reyla

Postby Reyla » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:11 am

It will not be released in a box on a shelf in store, no. That costs more money to do then they have the budget for.

As far as Indie developers back "in the day" making home made packaging, they did that because they had no way to distribute their products. It was the only option.

I am very curious. By your reasoning, you have never been to a movie, concert play or other event that costs money in which you did not receive an "item".

You have never paid for a service like a car wash or paid a tip in a restaurant?

You also shouldn't be paying for internet service. You are not getting anything tangible.

You don't have a home phone, cell phone, car insurance, health insurance or anything similar?

Digital distribution is mainstream now, like the internet.

Levio91

Postby Levio91 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:26 am

"Reyla" wrote:It will not be released in a box on a shelf in store, no. That costs more money to do then they have the budget for.

As far as Indie developers back "in the day" making home made packaging, they did that because they had no way to distribute their products. It was the only option.

I am very curious. By your reasoning, you have never been to a movie, concert play or other event that costs money in which you did not receive an "item".

You have never paid for a service like a car wash or paid a tip in a restaurant?

You also shouldn't be paying for internet service. You are not getting anything tangible.

You don't have a home phone, cell phone, car insurance, health insurance or anything similar?

You've really explained why publishers love it. Same money, less work, can't sell it on ebay. Lovely profit.

[COLOR="Yellow"]Even angry nintendo nerd packages his own dvd[/COLOR]s these people could do it if they wanted so let a developer comment.
Last edited by Levio91 on Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:34 am, edited 5 times in total.

lynott

Postby lynott » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:41 am

"Reyla" wrote:It will not be released in a box on a shelf in store, no. That costs more money to do then they have the budget for.

Your above examples are not exactly the same thing. I am not sure of the original poster's point, but my point is that if for whatever reason Steam closes up shop or gets bought or whatever, I may still have my "rights" to the game, but the reality is I will never be able to play it again. And I do replay my old games many years later - Zeus anyone?

Anyway for $20 it is worth it to me, but the principle remains valid. I find it pretty amazing how many people will go along with stuff like this happily and actually yell at people who question it.

I am hoping it becomes available for download via service that doesn't require me to use a 3rd party app. I won't buy it if that doesn't happen.

Adrock

Postby Adrock » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:51 am

"Levio91" wrote:Is this game retail or will it ever be? I never buy anything digitally distributed since its nothing and i think it should be illegal.

You're kidding, right? What do you get when you go to the movies? Right, nothing... or a play... or a cruise... or a baseball game?

Do you think the usher at the theater should send you home with a fruit basket so you'll have "something"?

What you get is what happens when you play it. In the case of a game (if it's good) you get some hours of fun. People have been paying to have fun forever.

Levio91

Postby Levio91 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:20 am

Well I cracked and bought a steam copy I hope your happy you freaking jerks.

PhilL

Postby PhilL » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:40 am

"Levio91" wrote:Well I cracked and bought a steam copy I hope your happy you freaking jerks.

I hope YOU are happy with the game.

aramann

Postby aramann » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:40 am

Supporter of freaking jerks waves and hopes you love the game! :)

radio_babylon

Postby radio_babylon » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:47 am

omfg is this 2008 or what? i feel like im in a time warp or something...

Levio91

Postby Levio91 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:20 am

so far its fun.

Return to “General Discussion”