Put this one on Impulse

Everything Hinterland that doesn't fit elsewhere
entvex

Put this one on Impulse

Postby entvex » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:32 pm

Hello.

I really hope you will release the game on impulse so i can buy it from there :)

http://www.impulsedriven.com/

Greetings Entvex

cinshaac

Postby cinshaac » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:45 pm

TM,

I really hope you hear us on this issue. At the very least, please don't remain silent about it. Let us know, do you plan to release this game on anything besides steam?

Morslok

Postby Morslok » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:13 pm

*signed*

radio_babylon

Postby radio_babylon » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:59 pm

personally, i love stardock, but i hate that ugly ungainly thing they call impulse.

but i agree that getting this with as many distributors as possible can only be a good thing...

Shadowdragoon

Postby Shadowdragoon » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:04 pm

Come on now TM, cant wait to play it, and waiting impatiently for its Impulse release.

entvex

Postby entvex » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:24 pm

"Shadowdragoon" wrote:Come on now TM, cant wait to play it, and waiting impatiently for its Impulse release.

me too!

tyjenks

Postby tyjenks » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:46 pm

Meh, not fond of Steam and I have Impulse, but Hinterland is not worth waiting around for in my opinion.

OhhJim

Postby OhhJim » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:33 pm

I don't know anything more than the next guy about either TM or Steam/Impulse, but I do know a little about business deals. I'm guessing TM has an exclusive agreement with Steam, at least for a certain length of time, and under certain conditions. It wouldn't be unthinkable for Steam to pay them more (or require less payment) if they agreed to use Steam only. Such an agreement might have a clause preventing TM from saying they will release it on Impulse at a future date, since that would adversely affect sales on Steam.

It would make some sense for the agreement to hinge on performance; for example, Steam gets the exclusive right to sell Hinterland, as long as sales exceed a certain figure. After that, TM has the right to let Impulse (or anyone else) sell it.

Please note that this is all conjecture on my part, and I could be totally wrong. But it would explain, A) Why they are only selling it on Steam, and, B) Why they aren't saying anything.

lynott

Postby lynott » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:30 pm

"OhhJim" wrote:I don't know anything more than the next guy about either TM or Steam/Impulse, but I do know a little about business deals. I'm guessing TM has an exclusive agreement with Steam, at least for a certain length of time, and under certain conditions. It wouldn't be unthinkable for Steam to pay them more (or require less payment) if they agreed to use Steam only. Such an agreement might have a clause preventing TM from saying they will release it on Impulse at a future date, since that would adversely affect sales on Steam.

It would make some sense for the agreement to hinge on performance; for example, Steam gets the exclusive right to sell Hinterland, as long as sales exceed a certain figure. After that, TM has the right to let Impulse (or anyone else) sell it.

Please note that this is all conjecture on my part, and I could be totally wrong. But it would explain, A) Why they are only selling it on Steam, and, B) Why they aren't saying anything.

Conjecture yes, but accurate most likely. If you have a limited exclusive deal with someone the contract is going to state you can't tell customers to wait 3 months so you can buy it somewhere else.

That said, I won't buy it either from Steam.

ogremech

Postby ogremech » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:53 am

please put this game on impulse so that I may purchase it .I personally do not like steam so will not purchase it there

Kobra2009

Postby Kobra2009 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:04 am

Opps, I missed this thread before starting another Impulse thread.

I registered to point out that I want to purchase the game, but will only purchase it from a steam-alternative such as Impulse (preferably). Are there plans in order to have this on Impulse?

I'd love an official response to this, thank you.

radio_babylon

Postby radio_babylon » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:56 pm

wtf is it about impulse that makes it so much more attractive than steam, anyway?

wizaerd

Postby wizaerd » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:04 pm

For me, it's not so much that Stream is better or worse than Impulse, it's more about already having Impulse and not wanting yet another download manager. Why does every site have to have their own proprietary download manager. I end up having to download one, and then only ever use it to buy one game... I'm tired of it...

I have EA's download manager because I wanted to play 1 game, SPORE which turned out to suck big donkey balls, I have some download manager from when I wanted to try Vanguard, and have never used it since, I've got a few more sprinkled around, and I have Impulse for which I used for Sins of a Solar Empire and Galactic Civilization II: Twilight of the Arnor, and I'm not signing up for or installing any more.

7ofswords

Postby 7ofswords » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:09 pm

In the time it took any of you to write that post you could have downloaded the 5 meg Steam installer and already supported Tilted Mill by purchasing their product.

Steam works very well, and Valve is doing a good job supporting independent developers with it.

Shadowdragoon

Postby Shadowdragoon » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:18 pm

"radio_babylon" wrote:wtf is it about impulse that makes it so much more attractive than steam, anyway?

For me, its userfriendlyness, and how fast it starts steam takes me 2-5 minutes to where i can launch a game thru it, that i dont have to start it to play singleplayer games.
Also i find steam to clunky.

(And i did it agin) :p

LordFu

Postby LordFu » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:25 pm

Impulse isn't as restrictive as Steam. Other than that, they're extremely similar. I've bought games from Steam, Impulse, GamersGate, and GOG.com.

Steam is my least favorite, but also the one I've bought the most games on. Go figure. It's the only one that requires the client to be run to launch your games. On the other three, once you install the game, you're never required to run their client, again. Yes, I know you don't actually have to be online for Steam, but the client is still an added hassle.

GOG.com just downloads a straight *.exe file that you can do with as you see fit. How cool is that? No DRM, at all. Impulse and GamersGate have software which you must run to install the game, but not to play it. Again, you must run Steam to play the games. That's the major difference.

wizaerd

Postby wizaerd » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:39 pm

"7ofswords" wrote:In the time it took any of you to write that post you could have downloaded the 5 meg Steam installer and already supported Tilted Mill by purchasing their product.

Steam works very well, and Valve is doing a good job supporting independent developers with it.

But you're missing the point, it's not about time, it's about options and choice. I don't care if it takes a mere 10 seconds to install it, I don't want to install it, and I won't install it. I have no problem supporting TM, love their other games, but I'm not going to do so by installing another download manager, one that seems to be unfriendly and very restrictive.

Kobra2009

Postby Kobra2009 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:52 pm

"7ofswords" wrote:In the time it took any of you to write that post you could have downloaded the 5 meg Steam installer and already supported Tilted Mill by purchasing their product.

The reason is rather simple for me. I have 2 kids, and myself that would want to play the game. With Steam this isn't practical because the game is tied directly to individual account that cannot be logged in more than 1 time. Naturally it isn't practical to purchase 3 copies of each and every game we own, and I don't think this is a realistic expectation from any developer.

With Impulse, we install the game on 3 computers we all use here then forget about it. If one of the kids happens to want to play when I am playing then it isn't a problem with Impulse, it IS a problem with Steam. This fact alone makes steam a very unattractive solution.

Even Gametap has "Family Account" systems where with 1 account up to 5 members in the same household can have their own sub-accounts, and be logged in at any time. It's a smart, practical business decision. It's why I don't buy stuff on Steam, and buy my stuff on Impulse, and why I keep a Gametap Subscription live.

tobing

Postby tobing » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:20 pm

Funny that you think it's automatic to use ONE license for THREE installs and play. We had this discussions on the Sacred2 boards some weeks ago, and they were really astonished to hear that people complained that they may play their game only on two computers. Well, in that case, the license allows this explicitely, but in most cases for commercial games, you get ONE license, so you can legally install on one computer.

Difficult subject though. In some sense you're right, it's just not practical to buy three copies of the same game for a family of three. When I mentioned that on the Sacred2 forums, I got some pretty nasty comments on that, you can believe. Fact is, I didn't buy Sacred2 yet, though we here are great fans of Sacred1.

On the other hand, developers are people who make their living from selling their games. So in the end, it all depends on the precise license terms of the game you buy and play: How many installations does it allow? More than ONE is not automatic!

I would like to see more kinds of easy family play, but I also see that it's difficult to draw the line between family play and sharing between friends, playing at their respective homes. As above, it's a difficult subject.

Tilted Mill has published CotN and Alexandria on Impulse and Steam, so they know where they can publish their games. Time will tell if and when Hinterland is to appear on other download platforms...

Darkhan

Awaiting for impulse

Postby Darkhan » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:26 pm

signed.waiting for it to show on there. Automatic buy when it does.
But I will not custom with steam.

:cool:

Return to “General Discussion”