reviews, where are they?

Everything Hinterland that doesn't fit elsewhere
Agamemnus

reviews, where are they?

Postby Agamemnus » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:12 am

The gamespot page for Hinterland:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/hinterland/index.html

It's totally barren. It's not linked from their search for Tilted Mill and not set as "released". :(

Can't find any review on this anywhere yet....

MrCuddlyTiger

Postby MrCuddlyTiger » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:17 am

I wouldn't expect a lot of reviews... and I'm sure they wouldn't be super favorable.

This game is not "next gen", or high budget... it's gonna be overlooked by major review sites.

Which is a shame, cuz this is what more games should be. It's not perfect, but for the price I've already put more time into this game than most that I pay $50 for.

CustodianV131

Postby CustodianV131 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:58 am

Also because of the way its released through Steam, customers have it at the same time as reviewers now. If you want a few reviews you'll have to postpone buying a bit longer.

I do think their will be reviews like with Armageddon Empires or Depths of Peril but not all the major sites will have a review for Hinterland and indeed if they look at the bling bling mostly instead of the gameplay Hinterland will suffer in their eyes. Still the indie sites and reviewers that are more serious about their job will put out good reviews. I do expect a decent score between 6 and 8 or so. Which is imo a nice score for a fun, fast playing, budget priced game like this.

StijnDP

Postby StijnDP » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:02 am

Imo it's just not good enough to put good reviewers on and the game won't get high praises in general anyway.
When I play the game I constantly wish they brought it on the DS instead of a PC. There are free flash games with more depth and the DS is perfect for this kind of game. On the DS they would get 7 or 8, on the PC they should be lucky with review who give 6 :/

Miut

Postby Miut » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:05 am

What's a DS? Obviously I have only a PC not any game consols.

Gerblyn

Postby Gerblyn » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:29 am

"Miut" wrote:What's a DS? Obviously I have only a PC not any game consols.

I'm not sure if you're serious here, but a DS is a Nintendo DS. The fold out handheld console which has two screens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_ds

[Tom]

Postby [Tom] » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:32 am

The DS has not the performance for this kind of game. Look how slow Settlers run or Squad Command, if it comes to scrolling...

Levio91

Postby Levio91 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:41 am

Mi-Go

Postby Mi-Go » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:17 pm

I would expect gametunnel.com to have a review in their next batch hopefully. As for the folks saying that the game would not get favorable reviews I'm mixed. Being primarily an analog gamer (boards, card and paper FTW!), I am almost always just concerned with the mechanics and gameplay. To that end, I think that TM did an admirable job of delivering a game that's fun and varied and rewards the kill/loot part of me as well as the development part of me. If you're looking for an incredibly deep game then this won't be that, but I don't believe that TM was looking to make Supreme Commander of StarCraft2. I love what they did and I hope that they get the performance issues worked out so that the game can be what it should be.

As for comparing it to the 'big budget' games, that's kind of like comparing a Jim Jarmusch flick to Jim Cameron flick. Different goals. Different audiences. Hell, I don't think that World of Warcraft (which I love), Hellgate London or The Witcher had any fewer issues on launch than this did and those cats had millions of dev dollars behind em.

Hinterland's not the second coming but it does seem to be a damn fun game and a novel distraction and really, isn't that the purpose of this interractive art we call video games?

Enjoy,

Mi-Go

Bolgo The Madd

Postby Bolgo The Madd » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:20 pm

This game kept me up until 4 am.... That's 4 stars in my book.

Gerblyn

Postby Gerblyn » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:23 pm

"Mi-Go" wrote:As for comparing it to the 'big budget' games, that's kind of like comparing a Jim Jarmusch flick to Jim Cameron flick. Different goals. Different audiences. Hell, I don't think that World of Warcraft (which I love), Hellgate London or The Witcher had any fewer issues on launch than this did and those cats had millions of dev dollars behind em.

On Tuesday I bought the Force Unleashed and on Wednesday I bought Hinterland, and I had a hell of a lot more fun with Hinterland than TFU. Take from that what you will :)

Nenjin

Postby Nenjin » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:16 pm

I hope you're kidding when you say the DS should have gotten preferential development over the PC for Hinterland. I mean, I really hope you're kidding. If it had come out on the DS, 9 out of 10 people playing it right now wouldn't be, and it wouldn't have even gotten made. The whole reason Tilted Mill did it this way was because they didn't have to pay stupid licensing, publishing and distribution fees. They probably would have lost money if they put it out on the DS.

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:20 pm

I tend to read player reviews just as much (if not more) than big review sites personally

so I will wait and see :)

KnuckleHead

Postby KnuckleHead » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:26 pm

Probably a good thing at this point...especially for a major game reviewing site like gamespot. They gave Mount & Blade a 7.0...another $20 game from an indie studio...but one that has much better graphics and much meatier and in depth gameplay. One of the big faults they deducted points from M&B was some of the gameplay mechanics were shallow or underdeveloped and lack of any story what-so-ever.

I have a feeling that if the reviewed Hinterland in it's current form they would really slam it.

Nenjin

Postby Nenjin » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:33 pm

I have a feeling that if the reviewed Hinterland in it's current form they would really slam it.

I have to agree. But the major gaming media has inflated expectations, mostly about how a game looks and it's performance. I've seen the media rave about games that are equally as simple at their core as Hinterland is, yet they think it's remarkable and has tons of depth ect....

I find it really ironic that M&B could be criticized as being shallow. Maybe in it's 1st year it was but the game has become really fleshed out, and those guys really thought through their game play and added the right touches here and there to give it depth. Compare that to like.....Shadow of the Colossus, THAT game was shallow. Looked great, but was shallow as could be. M&B arguably has the best realistic hand to hand combat emulation I've ever played in my life, right down to the physics and how speed factors into combat. The mounted physics has absolutely no equal.

Gamers have become so enamoured with automatic combos and contrived game play some wouldn't know a solid concept if it ran up and punched them in the face.

StijnDP

Postby StijnDP » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:55 pm

But as a review site you have a responsibility to let your readers buy good games. People get some money and go read what they "have" to buy. They can't hand out scores if you are going to put every game in different categories of genre, price, development cost, ...
So as a review site I would give Hinterland no more than 6 but personnaly I don't mind to give TM some months to really add content to the game. If you are fair, you'll admit that a lot of things are still missing.

Nenjin

Postby Nenjin » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:23 pm

As a review site you have the responsibility to be comprehensive. You need to talk about everything. Concept, game play, execution, preformance, graphics....It comes down to the kind of weight you put on each aspect of a game. Major review sites tend to start their evaluations at graphics. Your game has to be |-------------| this attractive before they'll start digging deeper into the actual game for their review.

And yeah, there are a bunch of things missing. Performance, to me, would cost them 1 out of 10. It's stable but it runs rough. Depth would cost them 1, because it is a fairly simple game. Graphics would cost them 1 because in some places I dislike how the UI looks. But the concept is very solid and the execution is right on. And most of those deductions I would recind if they were patched.

Major game sites, on the other hand, would trash it and move on and not really look back after updates. As far as PR goes, the damage there would have already been done.

Miut

Postby Miut » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:28 pm

"Gerblyn" wrote:I'm not sure if you're serious here, but a DS is a Nintendo DS. The fold out handheld console which has two screens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_ds

Ah. Thanks. :) Yes, totally serious. I only use my PC for games.

LordFu

Postby LordFu » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:37 pm

If anyone wants some good, honest player impressions, http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65049

So far, it seems most people, myself included, really enjoy the game mechanics, while hoping the game receives another coat of general polish in a patch or add-on.

Return to “General Discussion”